Tissue culture instead of mother plants

Agree, doing this would be interesting particularly if possible in a DIY or semi-DIY manner.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a try in the next few weeks, you looking to propagate from leaf?

I’ve only done orchids (they have to be sterile for about year before de-flasking), not sure if it will work in the same solution I make or you could try p668. Cannabis is so easy to clone not sure it’s worth the time. With it’s growth rate you’re probably going to want to use a vented container, and have to de-flask in a few weeks.

I found some p668 so I’ll try both; just ordered some vented lids. To do it at home might run you about $100 - $1000 for equipment.

I have to make up about 50 flasks anyway so I’ll give it a go and see what happens =)

7 Likes

Yes, this is me doing it today. Use the same cleaning technique as the Wang protocol, cut leaves into pieces, plate them on your baseline gel, and wait. Refresh media as needed

13 Likes

Thank you. And 20…

2 Likes

No, no, nothing like orchids. Nothing needs to be a year. Longer than meristem? Yep. Longer than nodal? Yep. A year? Nope. Maybe 2-6 weeks for callus then revert to normal shooting and rooting protocols.

Again, follow the Wang protocol in Lokis thread for cleaning! Soap wash, rinse, Tween/hypochlorite wash, rinse, rinse, rinse, cut and plate on MS + vitamins agar and baseline hormone media

7 Likes

That is awesome. Where is this? Your lab?

Ermmm, excuse me, I think I’m getting a woody…

1 Like

No this picture is in a teaching lab in Massachusetts, Cannnomic Laboratories. I have a company in California.

Cannomic teaches cannabis tissue culture and DNA protocols. I’ve been here fine tuning skills and learning tricks for the week. I did two days of nodal, a day of meristem, and a day of callus. Tomorrow is my final day and we are doing DNA Gender testing. I very highly recommend the classes to anyone serious about doing this kind of work. Its not cheap but it’s the real deal. If you are a cultivator and thinking about adding a lab/techs, or want to start a lab this is a great starting place. I do not recommend going in cold. This is the type of training where you get more out of it if you already have a foundational knowledge of botany, chemistry, mycology, plant pathology, or better yet, tissue culture.

11 Likes

Cool. Massachusetts, eh? Would you have a web link for them?

2 Likes

I’ll give it a go anyway, flasking orchids is pretty much the same as any tissue culture =)

5 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for the link. =)

Looks like they are using CAS: 9002-18-0 for a medium. I agree mixing your own base is much cheaper.

I gave it a go with some stuff I have sitting around; some p668 and primordial spluge that I mix myself, using two different sterilisation methods. If this doesn’t work I might break down and get some CAS: 9002-18-0 but would rather mix my own for a cheaper solution.

Tried a few different tissues, but may have a technique in mind to get thousands of clones from a single cutting. Not sure if the medium will work or sterilisation was good. I’m doing this out of my kitchen with some ghetto rigged stuff … give it a week or so to check for contamination or growth.

If it works I took lots of pics and will post a tutorial on how to do it cheap out of your own kitchen, and some expected growth rates of different cuttings for preservation.

I see some issues with larger cultures, possibly brown out because I’m not sure of the gas exchange they need; but I’ll swap for some vented lids when they arrive if I see a problem. Other problems could be medium and contamination. Good to give it a go anyway :).

11 Likes

You can always mix your own agar. I learned there that you just need a gel strength of ~9000 so go for it.

Keep us posted on your experiments. I’m doing some stuff here too but have slowed down until I can get a full size flow hood and space

2 Likes

Canning Jars will work great (Wide Mouth Jars if possible.)
Larger Baby Food Jars are just as good.

Different Agar is beneficial for the various stages of Tissue Cultivation.
Some are best for Initiating growth. But, had a lower Shoots Multiplication rates.
Then you need one to initiate root growth.
Just like making Agar for Mycelium transfers, it’s best to have a small proven selections of recipes so that they don’t stale out do to using the same nutrients & possibly neglecting it repeatedly from others that it may need for a long life.

3 Likes

14 Likes

Nice! So how viable would this be as a way for hobbiests to share small clones? I mean smaller test tubes / condiment cups to ship would be pretty awesome.

1 Like

Well, if a hobbyist has successful protocols then its easy. If there is enough agar in the media a vessel can take a pretty good jarring and not break loose. Those 25x150mm tubes are fine. Some folks like Phinest and Node deliver in the deli tubs.

5 Likes

Once the nodal TC starts to root in the agar, whats the next step? Do you remove the nodal TC from the agar and put it into normal medium? How difficult is it to remove it from the agar without hurting the roots and do you need to wash the any remaining agar from the rooted nodal TC?

2 Likes

That’s kind of the question… With a hobbiest grade equipment could one viably diy? I mean a pressure cooker or home based autoclave, hobby grade tools/chemicals… Does one stand a fighting chance without a clean room/lab?

1 Like