To flush or not to flush, that is the question (Poll)

No flush here I just cut back on feed the last couple weeks.

4 Likes

No flush here, but I’m all organic w/soil. I actually used Advanced Nutrients “Overdrive” product on my last grow, inside. It’s supposed to be used alone in the last two weeks of flower. I felt like I did get extra growth to the buds, so that would be the opposite of flushing. I plan on trying it again on my indoor stuff.

I didn’t use it outside on my summer grow, but they didn’t need anything.

4 Likes

The study concludes that flushing does not lower yield, quality, nor flavor so I see no negatives… less nutes cost less money and create less waste. All I know is that unflushed weed makes me, my girlfriend, and multiple personal friends break out with zits and pimples and makes our lungs phlegmmy after only smoking a quarter. This has been noticed and acknowledged as being obvious to -us- since the late 90’s when I struggled against people telling me my weed was harsh and tasted like chemicals despite having had a full month-long cure in a perfect curing environment. To me, unflushed weed definitely has more flavor: many chemical profiles have a sweet or minerally flavor to them which seems to add to the flavor profile and all weed that is flushed as long as I like it tastes like dirt/earth which is sort of bland but - in its own way-- quite delicious too. My main observation, having grown hydro over 35 years, is that I can cut and dry my 19-day flushed weed and people who smoke it tell me it is perfectly cured despite it not having been cured at all. Branches that I cut at different states of flushing show visually (less flush leads to darker, flatter color profiles), via smell (more odor in unflushed), and via quality (definitely harsher if less flushed). So it is fine if people want to possibly leave excess chemicals in their plants, but flushing definitely changes something and everyone I hook up has noted, and prefers, the flushed weed over unflushed. I started growing my own because – even though I can buy pounds of indoor for 900-1200 a pound, it isn’t flushed to my liking and my Girl and I can’t smoke it…it makes us hack and break out in acne. So call it what you want to, but I will continue to flush my personal headstash. :v:

7 Likes

I micro flush throughout my grow with molasses and bushdoctor sledgehammer. I don’t flush massive amounts of water. I just ad my supplement to a microdose of nutes with normal microbe supplements in order to preserve my microbe build-up in my coco :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

your right brother, I don’t let off the gas. I just micro flush throughout my grow @Esrgood4u :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol:

1 Like

I feel we should also talk about osmotic pressure…

Sugar flush
This is also about making your own clearex solution.

That’s the beauty of growing your own. You get to do it your way :sunglasses: :peace_symbol:

6 Likes

Citric Acid Flush
There is also a type of flush that uses citric acid, but I find it leaves the medium acidic after harvest.
I will look for my notes on that, but I could not find them readily.

1 Like

One thing I did learn while trying out flushing, is too much water/food AKA wet roots will increase chances of bud rot ect.

A proper dry back cycle is order no matter what you do.

I have heard done right water/drought stress will work to increase secondary metabolites.

Is this something you may have observed?
Like increased frost ect.?

Do you do it for that reason (frost) or just so they don’t get wet late in flower?

2 Likes

I just finished a grow about 2 weeks ago. my flush consisted of watering with clean water for last 2 weeks of flower. then 1 week out from assumed cut time, I ran triple the amount of water as there was soil… so 3 gal would be about 9 gallons. all in one sitting …

1 Like

I let mine go really dry this year, honestly I think trich production slowed a little. It could be just me tho

1 Like

That would slow production, drought stress is like goldilocks gotta be just right or else.

2 Likes

When the buds are so dense near finish I limit the water in an effort to prevent rot. Nothing more fancy than that.

I have noticed no difference except less rot.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Still a nice move! :star_struck:

1 Like

@shag I honestly didn’t read all the comments in full. But…I was surprised not to see any references to gypsum, or did I just miss them?

1 Like

Late to the Party as per usual…
But we flush between veg and 12/12–then again at the end of bloom…
I notice a big difference, in fact- often when we flush at end of bloom, they put out new pistils and put on more weight the last week or so…
With light feeders- we don’t bother between veg and bloom unless they seem to need it— but it is a MUST with heavy feeders, or they seem to get locked-out about 3 weeks into bloom…
Just our personal preference…

4 Likes

You miss it poodle it was very short…LOL :confused:
I know you are still feeling under the weather, :woozy_face: so I cut you some slack… this time :face_with_monocle:…LOL

@crownpoodle
This is something you have started to do now and again … right?
Has it fixed any issues you had going on since you started?
Do you recommend it to others?

Peace
Shag

I voted no I do not flush - in that I do not finish a harvest giving plain water

I was taught, and implement when needed, a “flush” during a grow if I’m getting weird burn or something funky I can’t figure out and want to try and get the medium/root zone to a zin place

1 Like

I’ve been doing it weekly for the last couple grows. Gypsum with a light feed to run-off. Checking ph and adjust from there next feed. Had some burnt leaves, but from light or fans too close, not feeding. Amazing I paid that much attention as stoned as I stay.
I see no drawback to using it. I use Diamond K solution grade gypsum. There’s some good threads other places. I’m shitty at linking. Google works or message me. Some serious users of it, having what looked like excellent results. Besides, it was cheap and I have a big fucking bag.
I have not had the same issues you watched earlier. Still not finishing as strong as I would like, but there’s some jems in this last batch. Found myself just staring at the TSD x RAB hanging earlier. RDs got me twitchy(er). Just beautiful! Bummed my nose doesn’t work yet. The missus says the opposite of sweet. Funky chemical smells. Gee darn.
Note added here for safety. This shit’s nasty on the skin. Sucked all the moisture out of my hands so fast. Gloves and a particle mask minimum. When I get in the big bag, I pull the paint mask out. It’s so fine. Would that be considered “micronized?”

1 Like

I feel like this is such a split thing in growers… we really need to get to the bottom of it all once and for all… how many growers are here?? We could answer this in no time if we all just started putting true input in on a side by side… I plan on curing in a cannatrol… but nevertheless… I want the MOST flavor… the MOST trichome preservation… the SMOOTHEST smoke… so seriously… we should end the debate somehow… and let’s get a real test going on it… like many side by sides with many different strains and nute regimens… let’s see :eyes: and scientifically prove the truth 1 way or another.

2 Likes