TopShelfs trees (Part 4)

47.8 here and its breaking dawn around 5 dark around 9

i like this alot to plan my thing outside

3 Likes

We call this time of year break up. As the ground is still frozen, but the snow is melting fast everything is such a mucky mess.
6 months worth of trash and roadkill has revealed itself.

The first wave of mosquitoes emerge while the snow is still on the ground. These snow mosquitoes are the big ones, real slow but will suck a pint if you donā€™t catch em in time.

4 Likes

I hear you.
Now we enter the no sleep, time of year. Thereā€™s just too much to do. :grin:

3 Likes

Lest I forget, good morning @TopShelfTrees1 and family.

3 Likes

Crappie gets a bad rap. Theyā€™re very fun to catch and yummy - I donā€™t know what the problem is! :rofl:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard anyone say anything bad about crappie lol

8 Likes

If I remember correctly we used Bluegill and Crappie interchangeably, but we were actually catching Bluegills in California.

5 Likes

I am deeply offended by that.
Blue gill are still good though.
I just want to know who these psychopaths are that talk bad about crappie.

8 Likes

Morning all

@Hotrods_and_hounds why ya want to know? :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m not speaking for all of Cali, but thatā€™s what they stalked our lakes with.

About the only fish I thought were yuck were carp at the Chinese restaurant.
We never ate the carp we caught.

4 Likes

Ive been asked for then a few times but thatā€™s about it. We ate carp out of Lake Thar Thar back in 07.

6 Likes

I had to look that one up.
I am going to assume you are a vet?
Thank You for your service!

4 Likes

Yea we used to guard the hydro electric dam there and when me and my best friend had to stand that post weā€™d go fishing with the dudes. Made a BBQ and bought chickens and stuff off them too. We got in so much trouble.

7 Likes

Humans treating each other like fellow humans.
I love it.

6 Likes

The best fish I ever had was a Dolly Varden.
Back in 1990 me and some friends hitched a ride to Valdez to work at a fish processing / cannery.
We slept on pallets in a tent on Hippy Hill, partied down like rock stars and spent all of our money, hanging out with cool kids from all over the US.
After about day 3 of 18 hour shifts and no food, the foreman asked if we were hungry and said he put all of the Dolly Varden bicatch in the freezer in case anybody wanted it.
I ate like a king that night, lol.

6 Likes

I think so too. I remember the stripes, like on bass, and the distinct peacock blue dot on the gills.

Them were gooood eatings!

4 Likes

Perfect pan fish.

3 Likes

I had to look up the Dolly Varden. Thatā€™s a beautiful fish. As much as I loved catching trout, I donā€™t like their flavor. All my family loves em. But I feel they taste too strong of fish

1 Like

My son loves tearing up the bluegill in the spring. Hoping to get out in the boat this weekend.

4 Likes

Right out of the ocean they are choice!
A bit like a trout meets a salmon.
Close to a silver, but more delicate.

1 Like