VPD, should I saw the lower part of the bathroom door?

Hi folks, as a first timer, it’s easy to have a ton of doubts, and here is one in case anyone can give a hand…

As one can see, I turned my entire bathroom into a grow room, and once I close the door, the only entrance of air will come from this small window, next to the carbon filter which was strategically placed on the shelf to gather warm air.
My doubt is, will that small window suffice for the transfer of air for the whole room or should I saw the lower part of the bathroom door in order to get fresh air from the opposite end of the light and filter (and coming from the lowest point)?
I’d rather not do it since it’ll leave an open area which could be entrance for bigger creatures such as mice. Had a good suggestion from @dequilo regarding putting a frame in the door. Fact is, even if I found such piece around here, I would not have the skill to make a nice, squarish hole in the door (not a good handyman). I could try and find a fret saw… 20210115_125700|690x388
and with the light on…
All suggestions are welcome. Glad to be part of this group!

5 Likes

if light is not a problem plain off a bit on the bottom you can suck in cooler air off the floor

3 Likes

That’s what was on my mind, cutting a strip of about 3 to 5" might do, right? Because of the suction produced by the exhaust fan already happening from above… Thanks!

3 Likes

The carbon filter will be pulling in a significant amount of air from the window (path of least resistance).
If you really had to use the window as your air source I’d suggest building shroud (cardboard etc) to go around the window to force the incoming air away from the filter (as much as reasonable)

cheers
G

3 Likes

@Gpaw and @dequilo, thank you, don’t mean to be frugal, but during veg is it essential to have the exhaust fan on? There’s a light, greenish smell coming out of the room but nothing major; but I certainly would not want to give any opportunities to nosy neighbors to notice my activities. Could I wait a bit until close to pre-flowering? Newbies…! OG is the place!

3 Likes

If light is not an issue (coming from outside the bathroom under the door) then that is the way to go, or run flexible duct from the window to the floor on the opposite side of the plants. Even without handyman skills, duct tape, poly, and a flexible duct tube are well within most people’s ability. Bonus is you don’t have to operate on the door…

2 Likes

I (…the controller :laughing:) only turn on the fan if the temps get above 25C or the humidity gets above 65%. I always have a small fan going in the grow area (if the lights are on) to mix the air. That fights mould.

If the odors are OK I’d bypass the filter, save it for flower. That’s when they can get stinky.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I like that! At least a makeshift partition of cardboard to isolate the air between the window and the filter/fan. Wait, did I understand it correctly? Do you mean to say that if I, by building a funnel of cardboard and connecting a duct at its end and extending the duct down by 5 feet to the floor, fresh air would, in principle, be sucked from the window? Thanks, as always!

3 Likes

You said it! @Gpaw!; Lol! Thanks!

1 Like

I would think that it would be easier with some thick poly and duct tape, and more air tight. Even a contractor grade trash bag, cut down to seal around the window, stick the ducting in a hole in the bag and tape profusely. Idea obviously is to isolate the fresh air from the window and run it to the bottom/other side of the grow area from where your filter is. Should help control your humidity, especially if you also have an oscillating fan in there…

3 Likes

Hi everyone, and in particular, @Sasquatch, @dequilo, and @Gpaw, so as a development of my air circulation, I intend to extend this cardboard box adaptation…

and turn it into a huge cardboard ducting path. I’ll be bringing it down to a point where I think I’ll stick a fan, blowing out from the “duct” into the room.

It just made me wonder whether it would be better to put the fan or even better yet, an inline fan at the window, inside the cardboard duct, and not at the end of the duct. Suggestions? Soon you’ll be seeing its development. As always. great to be here, thankful, learning miles from the ones who hold lots of mileage under their belts, and experience.
P.S. Hey, @Sasquatch, beginning to get a chip on my shoulder, as far as being a handyman goes… plugged my own bathroom wall so I could turn it into a grow room, changed my ex-wife’s shower, fixed her table lamp (and took it away, (for my plants!))… Guess I’ve either been learning to become one or I’ve just spoken too soon! Thanks!

2 Likes

You are welcome @Abbbian! Trying handyman stuff for yourself, along with advice from experienced friends and you tube videos has taken me from totally inept handyman to “functional”

That cardboard air run should work okay, I would say try the simplest fan placement first, if not working well that way, try the harder way…

3 Likes

That’s a big improvement. :sunglasses: :+1:
I’d angle the vertical flap on the left side in so the air is directed away from the filter, but that will help.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Very cool. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: can’t wait to see your progress! :v::peace_symbol::call_me_hand:

1 Like

HI @Gpaw, I guess what you meant is to curve the “cardboard duct” to the right, away from the filter, correct? That’s kind of what I had in mind, and right after it, I’ll have to turn the “duct” on a 90 degree angle downwards. I’ll reach the floor, put a fan blowing out from it (thank you for the “start small!” tip @Sasquatch) and see what happens, as far as humidity and temperature goes… As always… thank you everyone!

4 Likes