Welcome to Meesh's Garden

I see a dirt :dog: bath monster enjoys your huge new yardā€¦ :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Wow, what a difference. I canā€™t believe youā€™re sprouting plants this time of year. Itā€™s gonna be 30Ā°for the high today with some snow mid day and 11Ā° tonight. The snow from the snow a couple of days after Christmas still hasnā€™t finished melting.

It was nice yesterday with a 54Ā° high. I went hiking on the mountain behind my house and had a blast. I didnā€™t know I had such a cool place to go. Never even had to start the truck. I was out for 3 full hours. Itā€™s an amazing view once you get to the top.

Enjoy all of that new grow space! It looks great.

4 Likes

I love hiking in the snow and mountains! Sounds amazing! Score on the new discovery!

Not planning on growing anything in the new space yet. Soil is not amended and the tree roots still have to contract and die, but I love all the extra space.

Absolutely sprouting seeds! Although, the last ones I started are going real slow. I have a mini greenhouse I may assemble, but not the big one like last year

2 Likes

Had some things to return to home depot. Exchanged for some plants. Got a rasberry bush, another english primrose for the shade, snapdragons, bacopa, stock and another gardenia bush since I killed the last one. And this little gemā€¦ never heard about or seen this before. Itā€™s called perricalis or something like that. Think itā€™s a tender perennial. Such a cool looking plant. The leaves donā€™t even seem to match the flowers. It looks like 2 plants in one.

11 Likes

Cool! I like that one!

1 Like

It almost looks fake doesnā€™t it? Looks like the purple was spray painted on. Flowers look daisy like but leaves look like a geranium. I think itā€™s super cool. I think this one will stay in a container so I can move it around as I donā€™t know anything about growing it or what it likes.

4 Likes

I donā€™t have a lot of hope for either the raspberry bush or the gardenia actually making it, but dammit Iā€™m gonna try. The raspberry bush states right on it zones 3 - 8 so weā€™ll see if it chills enough here for fruit on this one. Now that I had all the trees removed, Iā€™m not planning on a lot of planting in that huge space except for this. If I can actually get fruit off this I will be stoked. This bush is self-pollinating, but Iā€™m really thinking Iā€™ll have a better chance if I go back and buy another one. Any raspberry peeps know if Iā€™ll need a trellis or if they will just latch on to my cinder block wall or if they will just support themselves? I havenā€™t planted it yet.

The gardenia was in a 2 gallon pot this time instead of being a twig. Maybe it will make it. Not really holding my breath though, as these are thee most finicky plants in the universe.

The old mj planter has become a mish mosh annual planter. I donā€™t even have a theme going, just flowers. No color scheme per say, just a bunch random annual flowers planted by height. Not sure I care if they all match really as long as they are bright and pretty, plus I can just pull them out and replace them if I donā€™t like them. Eventually after Iā€™ve grown ā€œAllā€ the flowers, I will narrow it down to a few faves and make a actual bed for landscape purposes, instead of the Meesh has to grow out all the flowers and put them somewhere bed. Wait Wait Waitā€¦ just thought of something! I have a themeā€¦ annualsā€¦ lol So far, I have pansies, stock, snapdragons, alyssum, bacopa, phlox and nemesia in there. Iā€™m looking into a green pest control company to come rid me of the colonies of black and brown widows in the next 2 weeks then I will plant my sweet peas and green onions in there too.

4 Likes

Almost forgotā€¦ Iā€™ve got spring bulbs popping up everywhere already! Lots and lots of freesia, daffodils, irises, scilla, hyacinth, brodeia not to mention all the winter cloverā€¦ So itā€™s winter, but Iā€™ve got a lot of green starting and quite a few annuals in bloom. The luxury of Cali. My garden is starting! It doesnā€™t get much better than that. :grinning: :green_heart:

4 Likes

There is a place up in No Cal that I have gotten some stuff from, in the past, that is really good. They have some real good Bare Root stuff, as I got some blueberries from, until I killed them. Also got some great strawberries from them, which produced really well, until I killed them. Wait, I think I notice a pattern here??? :laughing:

Any way, the place is called Grow Organic. They have some stuff specifically for us in SoCal (low chill hour) you might want to take a look.

https://www.groworganic.com/

2 Likes

donā€™t quote me on it :wink: but i think they need support. theyā€™ll grow upright for the first few feet & flop over & ramble. like some folks do.

:smile:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Itā€™s cool that the center of the flower is blue, too. Usually theyā€™re always yellow or orange. I wonder if I could find them here?

2 Likes

Totally unfamiliar with that plant, very nice flowers, and youā€™re right ā€¦the leaves look like geranium leaves.
Nice colorful daisy-like flowers.
I googled them, and seeds are readily available, but alas, indications are they prefer cooler weather than that in my zoneā€¦81 high today with overnight low of 74.
I am tempted to try some anyway.

2 Likes

They may just grow inside or in the shade for you. The bucket they came in say part sun. I think even without the flowers the foliage will look good. Such a cool plant. If they are that cool of a weather plant they will probably croak on me by end of spring. Iā€™ll try shade once it gets hot again

2 Likes

I loved that the center was blue too! They had 1 plant left a lighter purple and the center matched as well.

1 Like

Iā€™ve decided to start throwing alyssum seeds all over the place and hope it goes invasive. It has already popped up with some volunteer johnny jump ups and cosmos. It is such a delicate looking and pretty ground cover and it grows all year here. Let it choke out the grass! lol I wish

3 Likes

Just realized that itā€™s January, I need to get a soil test! Time to amend for spring and spring comes quick here in Cali!

2 Likes

Yeah, like maybe tomorrow, being in Cali. :poop: :scream_cat: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hyacinth coming through

Started 3 carnation plants from seed last year. Only got one flower spike

6 Likes

Placed a big seed order againā€¦ cuz I have to grow ALL of the flowersā€¦
52381-PK-P1 Silene Sibella Carmine 1 $4.95
51034-PK-P1 Angelonia Serena Rose 1 $4.95
51114-PK-P1 Bacopa PinktopiaĀ® F1 2 $4.95
00907-PK-P1 Sunny Smile Sunflower Seeds 1 $3.95
51834-PK-P1 Healing Waters Petunia-Bacopa Fuseable Seeds 1 $6.95
00745-PK-P1 Siberian Blues Dianthus Seeds 1 $2.25
01308-PK-P1 Golden Guardian Marigold Seeds 1 $2.50
52055-PK-P1 Shady Lady II White Hybrid Impatiens Seeds 1 $3.95
01540-PK-P1 Parkā€™s Candy Lily Seeds 1 $3.95
00487-PK-P1 Century Pink Celosia Seeds 1 $4.95
00055-PK-P1 Easter Bonnet Deep Pink Sweet Alyssum Seeds 1 $2.95
00063-PK-P1 Pastel Carpet Sweet Alyssum Seeds 1 $1.50
00853-PK-P1 Color Up Mix Hybrid Ornamental Cabbage Seeds 1 $2.95
01372-PK-P1 Magic Blotch Mix Monkey Flower Seeds 1 $2.95
02884-PK-P1 Bombay Pink Cockscomb Seeds 1 $4.95
00770-PK-P1 Sweetness Dianthus Seeds 1 $2.50
52014-PK-P1 Seventh Heaven Lavender Bicolour Hybrid Nemesia Seeds 1 $4.95
51690-PK-P1 Summer Jewel Pink Salvia Seeds 1 $2.95
52757-PK-P1 Orange Balm Mandarina 1 $3.95

I am especially excited about the new rose colored angelonia and the new pink bacopa! Hey @Calyxander got some of those monkey flower seeds I was talking about. lol Also Orange Balm will be amazing next to my masses of Lemon Balm! Oh and Park seed claims that these new Marigolds are godā€™s gift to killing bad nematodes! Gonna mass plant them with my cannabis this year. As you may have noticed, I have a penchant for pink and purple.

6 Likes

WOW Meesch. Seems like you are going all out with the flowers. Are you still gonna have room for the weed, come Spring? :laughing:

Actually sounds amazing. I recognized a few of them. Should have a nice collection of bees around the house. Gotta keep those little suckers happy or we may lose them for good. Going to try some flowers in the front and a little in the back this year, for the veggies. Will probably stick with ā€œusefulā€ ones like Chickory and some of the spices, but was going to add some decorative ones. Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

2 Likes