What are you listening to? 2020

4 Likes
4 Likes

Well, anything from CCRā€¦

Cheers
G

8 Likes
3 Likes

I record live concert audio as a hobby - with permission, never bootlegging. I recorded ā€œChris Robinsonā€™s Soulive Revueā€, a one-off collaboration, at the Bear Creek Festival in Florida in 2014 and it was by far the best set of music I saw that year. Months later I discovered that some guy syncā€™ed my audio with his video recording!

Guitarist Eric Krasno put this band together. Obviously, itā€™s Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes on vocals. He and Chris got to know each other when Kras filled in on bass for the Tedeschi Trucks Band who toured together with the Crowes. They assembled the members of Soulive (Blue Note label soul/funk/jazz/groove outfit) and various friends for this project. They selected a nice setlist of classic rock and funk songs:

1. West L.A. Fadeaway (with George Porter Jr) [Grateful Dead cover]
  2. Hot Stuff [Rolling Stones cover]
  3. Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa (Sad Song) [Otis Redding cover]
  4. Quitters Never Win (with George Porter Jr & Ivan Neville) [Dr. John cover]
  5. Who Knows What Tomorrow Will Bring (with Oteil Burbridge) [Traffic cover]
  6. Sugaree (with George Porter Jr & Pee Wee Ellis) [Grateful Dead cover]
  7. Space Captain (with Jennifer Hartswick) [Joe Cocker cover]
  8. Hard To Handle [Otis Redding / Black Crowes cover]

and had many special guests join them throughout the evening (some legendary folks like George Porter Jr. of The Meters, Pee Wee Ellis from James Brownā€™s band, and Bernard Purdie who played with EVERYONE)

For good measure, here is Bernard ā€œPrettyā€ Purdie touting his credentials in the Steely Dan - Making of Aja documentary:

To go one step furtherā€¦ The list of artists Purdie has worked with (he starts naming them around 25 seconds in the previous clip), was turned into lyrics by the group Vulfpeck in their song ā€œ1612ā€ (about 65 seconds in):

6 Likes

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
I only know of Soulive because John Scofield occasionally plays with them. I have to admit that I never heard of Chris Robinson or Black Crowesā€¦(because I am a geezer)
But I have enjoyed Vulfpeck and the related The Fearless Flyers for a few years now.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Something people might have forgotten or never heard

3 Likes

Miles Davis right now while putzing around in the cellar

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Good ideaā€¦

3 Likes

I agree, got that grinding city grit to it.

1 Like

Ahhh geezer music :sunglasses:
3 Likes

Thereā€™s a full moon in the sky, itā€™s the hour of the wolf and I donā€™t wanna dieā€¦ no one lives forever.
3 Likes

I really like their music but havenā€™t made it to a live show yet. Joe Dart is a monster bass player.

Knower is an act that moves in the same circles as Vulfpeck:

3 Likes
2 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Searched for 'xanax musicā€¦

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes