🎧 What Are You Listening To? (Part 4)

2 Likes

This is my friend Greg Poree. His intro gives me chills every time i hear it.
He’s been guitar playing since the ‘60’s. Nicest guy! We met at the dog park lol.

1 Like

I can totally hear how he probably influenced Led Zeppelin’s sound. Good stuff.

1 Like

Thank you for that. Nice quick read.

Norman Granz was a seriously important figure in the growth of jazz! I think the article you shared in the link sums it up nice and succinctly. When I think about non-musicians who were crazy influential in music in the pre-rap/hip-hop era, I think Granz was nearly as important as John Hammond, Sr., in my view the single most important non-musician in the history of recorded music. Me? Oh no, I’m not at all opinionated! wtf ROFLMAO

This is the Jazz at the Philharmonic wiki page. It includes an expanded number of musicians who participated in the JATP series as well as basic information about the series. Not surprisingly, there are “overlap” musicians.

Generally speaking, I’m not much of a post-big band jazz fan, but this is an exception. I’ve only heard a few of the concerts, and they were from the 1940s (including the first concert). In defense of my liking them, I will point out that the early concerts were pre-bebop, and even after it’s advent, it took time for more traditional big band jazz to lose favor with the general record buying public. I’m not confident I’d enjoy at least the last few years’ recordings, though I have no doubt the musicianship is superb!

According to Discogs, most if not all of the JATP recordings have been re-released on CD. I know, it’s ancient technology! :rofl:

2 Likes
1 Like

You seem to have a pretty wide knowledge of music. I Didn’t know about the JATP series. I knew a little about jazz from my father and his side of the family who were musicians pro and amateur. I’m not big into Be-Bop but like smaller combos where there seems to be more invention, spontaneity. Me and friend used to listen to a few of the popular jazz artists back in high school, but really weren’t into the whole scene. Around 2000, for me, rock was repeating itself, looking for something different I got back into jazz. Haven’t heard many new bands with that hard swing today. Seem more like lounge stuff for a Suday afternoon in the sun with a gin and tonic, which is fine, but sometimes i want something that “MOVES”

I like CD’s. They’re bulky compared to YouTube, but with a CD it’s like the difference between renting and owning.
Nothing wrong with having an opinion. I got one on everything, but hopefully open to change it if someone can convince me.

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

I couldn’t help but think of this song today …

1 Like
1 Like

Groovy Band with no Guitarist. Bass rocks!

1 Like

Japanese Metal Psych band Blues Creation – Demon & Eleven Children (1971)

1 Like