What is going on with my plant

I just use foxfarm ocean forest

Thats what I use also. Is the medium in your pot plain ffof or does it also have perlite added?

Welcome to the OG community :raising_hand_woman:t3:

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

It’s just FFOF, I thought it had perlite in it. In looking at pics of perlite, it does have that in it.

You always want to add more. I made the mistake of not adding more and it makes the soil quite dense and more susceptible to mold or water logging

Yeah there was a period where the leaves were sagging like it was under/overwatered no matter what I did. When I tried to feel below the surface to see if it was moist, there was just a solid mass of what felt like roots maybe 2/3 inch below the surface. I used a pencil to aerate all around the base and then the leaves started perking right up. The pot didn’t feel heavy, but for whatever reason it was like completely solid that far under the surface.

1 Like

Sow beans in there to fix nitrogen for your next grow.
Top dress with chopped up kitchenscraps, grass, nettles, dandelion leaves, tree leaves…

They weren’t getting enough air/oxygen. You always wanna add more perlite even if the bag says it has some already and it’s ready to use

1 Like

You only need perlite if you’re living in very high humidity all the time.
I’ve been using the same soil without perlite for years now.
I keep sowing cannabis and beans in the same pot over and over, topdressing with a wide variety of organic matter often. That’s it.

I think my basement where my tent is has a fairly high ambient humidity level. I have a dehumidifier that’s set to 60%, and a fan in the tent, but whatever happened, there was like a solid block of soil and roots about 2/3 inch below the surface.

That means you didn’t water enough, or not enough water penetrated deeply enough, only the topsoil got wet and then dried, if that happens over and over then a crust will form.
Top watering is always a bit hit and miss.

Put your fabric pots in saucers and fill the saucers with water every day for a week then back it off to once every other day. This way the fabric and the soil suck it up and the water gets evenly distributed throughout the soil, then it doesn’t matter if your top soil is dry, it’s a benefit, it keeps gnats from laying eggs.

If you don’t like topdressing then after harvest you can take out the soil, add a layer of compost, kitchenscraps, grass, etc, a bit of everything, into the pot.
Then put the soil back in without getting rid of the root, it contains exactly the nutrients the next plant needs, by the time you harvest the new plant the old roots are gone and have turned into the new plant.
Leaving the old root system in also ensures perfect aeration so no perlite needed and more volume for nutrients.

1 Like

Roots Organics will drop your PH to extremely low levels. Id be willing to bet its a PH issue. My PH when running Roots Organics prior to adding any PH adjustments comes in at about 4.00

To be fair and a little bit of devils advocate i never water to runoff but you have to be dialled in with your feed regiment to not get issues. Feed, water, feed ,water. 90 percent strength, water, 70 percent strength solution, water, rinse and repeat and all build ups are used in my media with zero issues and a very clean product. I hate having to empty trays full of runoff and learned how not to necause of pure laziness lol. While using autopots a while back and bottom feeding a constant supply of liquid to the roots it gave me the idea of just keeping them moist and adjusting feed as the autopot runs are being watered constantly, i did the sam thing with top watering essentially, 90 percent strength, water only, 70 precent yhen water only and . I never let the plants dry out and plants love it. Using pro mix HP. Yiu need to use a medium that allows for lots of water for both styles of growing. Hope I’m not confusing anyone

1 Like