What is going on with my plant

I got these Strawberry Guava seeds from a friend. Out of 6 seeds, only one actually sprouted. This is only my 2nd time growing, and I wasn’t aware that you couldn’t just reuse soil, so during the veg phase it started looking not great. I added a bunch of fresh soil and it started looking a lot better. It was fine up until last week (maybe 5-6 weeks into flowering) and then the larger leaves started turning yellow, and now they’re curling up with brown spots. Idk what to do, I’ve added CalMag and amendments over the past week but it hasn’t seemed to help. Idk what to do at this point, I just need it to make it 3-4 more weeks

2 Likes

What are you feeding? After you give it some extras you need 3 to 4 days to see improvements.
How is your water ph and frequency?
When re using soil it is good to add 1part of compost for each 4 parts of used soil. I usually have the used soil closed for 3 months before using it again and with re used soil they will need more food.

One. Don’t panic, if it makes you feel better, remove damaged leaves and concentrate on the ones that are better, the damaged leaves won’t recover.

Don’t overwater, wait 3 to 4 days for any change, if the nice smaller leaves are keeping all right you are on the good path.

I can see some nutrient burn so I would lifta for 2 days at least keeping it under observation.

4 Likes

Looks like a phosphorus deficiency. Yiu most likely have either lockout because ph imbalance do to salt build up or the soil is stripped and the plant is hungry for some flowering nutrients. Yellowing of leaves around 5-6 weeks of flower is normal in some cultivars as nitrogen gets used up but the necrotic spots are most likely phosphorous at that stage of grow. Calcium issues tend to go hand in hand with phosphorus issues. To much calcium in soil with inhibit phosphorous uptake and lock it out. Hard to diagnose with out me growing and knowing PH medium, nutrient line etc. my guess would be it be a macro issue

3 Likes

Man I reuse soil like for 2 years lolol
Still do except when I test for someone.
Ph?
Did you flush your soil between grows?
If you did flush then you need to to
Add nutes.
But I think there’s nute burn to.
Flush the shit out of it with ph adjusted water.
Ff makes powder nutes that can be added
A dash of Miracle-Gro grow if your sure you flushed out
Previous nutes.
Gl

3 Likes

I’ve been giving it Roots Organics Uprising Bloom. I’ve never checked the ph but the soil and water I’ve always used have never caused any issues. I typically water a small amount every day to every other day. I just go by whether the leaves are drooping or not.

This is only my 2nd grow, the first one was 4 plants, 2 that I grew from seeds and 2 that my friend had started that were in really rough shape when I got them. They all turned out awesome so this was kind of surprising, but I also wasn’t aware that you couldn’t just reuse the soil (which was pretty sad because I had a big bag of fresh soil just sitting there anyways).

1 Like

The thing about re using soil is that the last run plants already ate some of the nutrients leading to plant hunger.

What I do is I use light mix feeding chart instead of allmix feeding chart for my biobizz products.
On your side, I would check if there is another chart for a lighter soil, and go by it, usually the feeding is tronger on lighter soil mixes.

If you are using tap water, I strongly advise you to check the ph, the tap water has fluctuations that may cause that and even if you measure now it can be in normal values but last week it was too high, usually my tap water comes between 8 and 9, I always need to coorrect, water rain is spot on for me so far on the 6.5ph.

1 Like

If you dont know what your PH is its hard to help. Do you off gas the cholrine f using tap water by letting it rest a day before using it? Chlorine from tap water can cause lits of issues

2 Likes

I use filtered tap water if it makes a difference, but I just got a test kit and ph up/down so that should be here soon.

2 Likes

You need to ammend your soil between runs, water it, and let it sit for a couple weeks minimum before using it again. As for this, I’d say they are hungry.

1 Like

No, I just use filtered water.

1 Like

Nice, i would say don’t worry too much. Mobile nutrients are being taken from lower leaves to feed the top growth. Most likely hungry and need mor P and K

Yeah, this was just sitting for 6+ months between grows.

I’d water in some beneficials and get that soil active again.

Give her a good drench! With whatever microbes you’ve got. At week 5-6, I’d say go ahead and give her a nice full strength feed with them. Drench and get good runoff. Put fresh shtuff in there. Does look like a buildup to me.

Bone dry and without being flushed I’d think is the issue. It dried up and locked whatever unused nutrients were in there at the end of the last run(as well as probably throwing the pH around) as salts and then if you didn’t flush it out like others mentioned prior, you’re working against yourself. In my experience, length of time between soil reuse doesn’t matter as much as just being on top of feeding it. Pay attention to its texture and smell. Measure runoff pH if you’re just starting a new round and see what’s already in the soil and you can adjust from there

1 Like

You said it didn’t look well and gave it cal mag. It didn’t look like a calmag def to start off. Adding cal mag when it isnt needed might have locked the plant out of pk. Maybe a flush could help. I gave my plant too much ppm and the plant locked out. I flushed it with 3x The amount of soil, so 3gal pot =9 gallons of water. 1 gallon pot = 3 gallons of water. After flushing all the def went away. Hope this might help. Also ph the water before flushing.

1 Like

And that won’t hurt the plant? I’m always wary about overwatering because I thought you could almost drown the plant. I can definitely try that though. Would the ph strips I use for my pool be fine to test the water for this or does it need to
be more sensitive?

2 Likes

Yiu cant over water in one watering. Over watering happens over prolonged time of constant saturation of your medium. Think of rain

2 Likes

Great place to start ph
You should know your starting point at a bare minimum

1 Like

Keeping the soil consistently soggy to where you can grab it and squeeze water out is when overwatering becomes the problem. On the opposite side, not watering to runoff often enough can really promote build-up

1 Like

To add to that not letting them sit in water if you have a heavier mix then Coco is all so a good shout

1 Like