What was so extraordinary about the GRATEFUL DEAD?

It’s called love! They had love!!!

2 Likes

Never heard of them, sports team from England maybe

3 Likes

Take a dose and go see one of the current iterations and YE SHALL SEE.

Nascar seems stupid until you get rip-roaring day drunk and go in person.

A rave will seem kinda stupid if you aren’t on MDxx.

So much of our little community is enmeshed in the seasonal Dead tour migration around the country.

2 Likes

Buy a lot outside the gate and rent them for 20 bucks a day with a 100 dollar deposit for the festival all paid up front …could probably live the year off that haul than hit them all with a hose and wait for the next year

3 Likes

Saw The Dead at NYears eve concert at Winterland many moons ago, dont remember much about it but will never forget it! Glow in the dark translucent squares of acid everywhere made it a psychadelic experience and the music just got better as the night progressed!

5 Likes

That reminds me of the time a friend from the old neighborhood thought it would be a cool idea to put liquid acid drops on his :eyes:
:crazy_face::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

LOL Thats funniest way of getting high I’ve heard of!

3 Likes

With out a doubt, the parking lot scene! :speak_no_evil: :joy:

You could score a sweet tie-dye, a nitrous balloon, ganja ball, blonde Lebanese hash, and a cold import beer in about 20 feet lmao!

9 Likes

Fans never “snuck stuff in” my friend. That’s what the tapers section was for :wink:

2 Likes

by your definition of “jamming” no one should ever see live music. A band that knows what its doing will never “noodle around 3 chords” for 45 minutes. You play music, no? Then you’d hear all of the tonal shifts and inversions along the 7th and 9th chords, typically back and forth between major and minor.

You’re 100% correct. No one should suffer through 45 minutes of novice musicianship!!! Gasp

6 Likes

I was being a bit hyperbolic there, I’m sure most people here would get what I’m talking about when I say ‘noodling’ haha.

After listening to hundreds of hours of live Dead and lots of other jam band type music I can safely say it’s not really for me, but hey whatever blows your skirt up :+1:

5 Likes

'68-'72 were their best years. They were on acid a lot which means when you listen to their music on acid or shrooms, something comes through of that in the music. Following the death of Pigpen, I think they weren’t as good. Still did some good stuff and appreciate their nurturing of people recording their gigs.
They were never signed by a major label for a long period and when they did do a studio album, the wheels always nearly came off because there were so many of them all being unruly.

4 Likes

We used to put half a blotter under each eye lid.
Really bad should only only do this with window paynes the ink from the blotter can blind you. But I did have a misspent childhood but didn’t do me any harm in long run.
See one lad swallow 9 micro dots once for a dare once, couldn’t get him to leave his car, the car was one of those sit down racing games you get in arcades

7 Likes

You aren’t wrong brother! I’m not denying that at points they are “lost”, but that’s what makes it so magical. Tension and release is some powerful shit lol

Cheers!

4 Likes

Spinning Hippies. Sorry cant get down with Black Licorice. Just like a jam band. Never u understood Phish. Im a blues man. All the black blind blues man. Stevie…theres some killer musiscians. Without all the da da da da da.

I think its more of the unity of people and drugs. Everything is cool on shrrooms. Mention the dead without drugs or the man…jk :wink:

7 Likes

The 1987 spring tour was a unique bridge period in the Grateful Dead’s history. Demand for tickets had reached a new high following Garcia’s coma recovery and the reports of the band’s revitalized shows. The demand would only increase from there, as this marked the final full tour before the release of In The Dark on July 6th, 1987, which generated a Rolling Stone fold-out cover, a Platinum certification from the RIAA, a once-unthinkable top-10 single, and hit music video for “Touch of Grey”. Videos for “Hell In A Bucket” and “Throwing Stones” would follow soon after, helping bring in a new generation of fans in a matter of a few short months.

Jerry Garcia is the only reason I wanted an Archtop. Here she is…

10 Likes

When I’m choosing a Dead show to listen to, it’s probably going to be from the 1970s. They started as a psychedelic blues band which slowly shifted to more psychedelia in the late 1960s as Pigpen’s health declined. As 1970 rolled around they found their country roots and released the seminal albums American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead. Big changes came with Pigpen’s passing, the addition of Keith Godchaux on keyboards (and his wife Donna on vocals, who can be a bit polarizing), and the departure of Mickey Hart on drums. Having only one drummer made the band more agile and allowed for jazzy improvisation that I really dig. That era culminated with a run of shows in late 1974 that were filmed for The Grateful Dead Movie. The band then took a hiatus for a year and a half. Garcia spent that time editing the movie, and working on new material that would become the Blues For Allah record. When they returned to touring in mid-1976 - with Mickey Hart back in the lineup - they seemed refreshed and played more upbeat with fewer “deep space” jams. If I’m puttering around the house I’ll likely choose something from 1976-78, but if I’m listening intently it will probably be something from 1973-74. Every now and then it’s fun to hear something old, or an 80s show, or to revisit one of the concerts I saw in the 1990s, but the 70s were their peak IMO.

The music starts at, uh, 4:20:

12 Likes

I’m with ya, I think I’d rather be dead, than have to experience tha dead. Lsd is much better with some pink floyd imo…I will say this about them though, their fans are downright dedicated.

5 Likes

Pink Floyd is cool but no dead

3 Likes

The only thing good about a dead show was the gallons of LSD

5 Likes