What was so extraordinary about the GRATEFUL DEAD?

A vastly underated guitar player

7 Likes

To be honest I don’t even know if I’ve ever listened to a single one of their songs…but im a metal head so

5 Likes

Same here but love psychedelics so listening to them just happened lol speaking of metal I’d like to see gwar again but tripping lol

5 Likes

lol yeah that would be freaky :joy: I love psychedelics too

2 Likes

Ok, I gave the video a listen, because I can appreciate all music…somewhat. and I have to say the guitar player is pretty decent. But I think I like daytripr69’s idea…gwar on acid!

3 Likes

:+1: :joy::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin::sunglasses:
“The guitar player” = Jerry Garcia

3 Likes

I actually prefer the late 70s 80s dead but that’s because I didn’t get into them until the 90s

5 Likes

I really prefer the 70s Dead over the 80s. Europe 72 thru 74, then 77 would be where I’d put my sweet spot. Not really into the late 60s sound too much, but there are a few gems there. But hearing the evolution throughout the 70s is really cool imo.

Also, again just my opinion, recognizing everyone has different musical tastes- the psychadelics are great when combined w the Dead, but just their sound, songs, musicianship, can all stand on their own. Some of the emotion that comes thru via Jerry’s guitar and voice when hes really on, thats what keeps me coming back for more.

6 Likes

If you’re over like 25 and have listened to much radio then you’ve almost certainly heard touch of grey, truckin and a few others. It’s amazing how big of a band they are but how little mainstream airplay they’ve had.

4 Likes

Yeah i mean I’m sure I’ve heard them i just probably don’t know it sadly. I’ll end up pulling them up and see what i recognize. Like I said I’m a metal head so I just don’t listen much to their genre. I mean if so.eone asked me what type of music they played id guess and say rock but I wouldn’t be able to tell them if they are a jam band or what. You knkw? I mean i know there are drums and guitars but ya

3 Likes

I’ll give em a go tho out of respect for the late mr. Garcia

6 Likes

Its funny how people have an opinion but then when they sit down and actually listen that opinion often changes.

Case in point- 2 coworkers when I lived in PA had never listened to the dead but had written them off entirely bc of their image. The one person who was into classic rock was all about it bc they incorporate all kinds of blues/rock/folk elements into their music. That response was like “holy crap this is great, this is the grateful dead??!!”
The other guy was into old school country, really loved the bluegrass influence on some songs and the very early country/Americana influences. Theres something there for just about anyone. Sadly @Joboo no power chords or double bass petals for the true metal heads!!

And yeah they get out there in their jams, but to me its really hard to classify them as a “jam band” because theyre so much more and lump them in w the early 2000s scene when phish was taking a break. IMO The dead is so far from string cheese incident, disco biscuits, umphreys McGhee, tea leaf green, yonder, etc. Which is who id lump into that jam band classification.

6 Likes

I wasn’t writing anyone off. I simply said that I don’t know if I’ve heard any of their music because I’m a metal head so that tends to be what I listen to. Thats not to say that I don’t like other music but I can’t sit here and say I love a band that I’m unsure if I’ve heard their songs.so my bad for using the wrong classification as jam band geez

1 Like

Understood, and yeah was making more of a general statement about people in general. Wasnt trying to say you had done that.

Its not for everyone. Theres a pretty cool newsclip from Garcia’s death I believe where tom brokaw or someone else equally as famous is reporti g on it, says something like his daughter was really into them and Garcia’s death was the trigger for him to first initially listen. And when he did he was pleasantly surprised how much he liked it.

2 Likes

The dead are great but if there is no mosh pit or crowd surfing, or Jesus walks across the crowd then it’s gonna be boring lol
Went to an atilla show with my kid, she treated me to a dive bar show because I bought her Tix to guns and roses, Metallica, Linkin Park and five finger death punch the summer she graduated, I was the only grey hair in the pit. The bartender gave me free drinks the rest of the night after my Jesus walk. Said it’s nice to see old people still getting after it. Told the girl let’s go back to the stock room and I’d show her how old I was lol

4 Likes

And I will be 100% honest with you to say I have zero interest in being in the middle of a pit!! But wouldnt have a problem checking out a metal show still. Even tho I think the last one i went to was probably when I was 17!

2 Likes

Oh lol my mistake :joy: I was thinking damn I must of struck a cord with this guy lol. I mean dude honestly I’m sure ive heard some of their music but if I hear it I wouldn’t be able to be all like “name that tune” lol. I have a tremendous respect for all music. Like take hip hop personally i don’t like a lot of it but there is talent and everything involved with it so I respect it. It’s like I was telling beacher earlier…when I get home I was planning on looking their stuff up and jammin out just so i can figure out if I know their stuff or not :joy: sorry I took your response the wrong way lol

2 Likes

I’ll put some shit up for you to focus on while I’m on a few conference calls this afternoon for work.

2 Likes

well man I like all metal for the most part I mean except for that like Norwegian black metal that you can’t understand a single word you know? But dude one of the best shows and one of my favorite bands is iron maiden. I like more of the metal from the 70’s through the 90’s as far as their prime goes you know. I dig a lot of sabbath and dio and Pantera and blah blah blah lol. I used to go to a whole lot of shows but as I’ve gotten older I just rather not fight the big crowds

1 Like

yeah im up here working too just eating right now. But I’ll be checking them out man for sure