When do Breeders sell their seed?

Just curious but after harvest. Do they dry their seed for awhile or sell it right away ?
Do they test a few to check germination?

Do they dry the buds before harvesting seeds?

Just curious to how most do it.

5 Likes

I am in for this post…curious minds want to know. lol

5 Likes

Some companies sell untested lines of seeds. Some have testers and some do in house grows to make sure they are stable enough to release. I always dry my seed for a few weeks before I attempt to pop them. Also they some times do large batches releases, and small batch. More exclusivity. Usually always a drying process to ensure seeds are viable.

6 Likes

They wouldn’t just pick off plant after it drys and ship would they?

No separate dry time for the seeds or testing for germination, just pick em off and mail them?

2 Likes

I have heard of many places just plucking drying and selling as untested

4 Likes

Depends on the breeder really :man_shrugging:

Proper practices tho:

1. Seeds dry with the plant.

2. Shuck the seeds once the plant is dry.

3. Dry the seeds for a further ~3 weeks.

4. Put the seeds in the fridge for another ~3 weeks.

5. Test the seeds. Grow the plants. Decide if seeds worth selling or not

6. Sell the seeds or start over.

A lot of breeders take shortcuts. Specifically with step 5. Pays to know how you’re chosen breeder operates.

Bodhi, for instance, usually does all of these things. Some of his lines sat in his fridge for years before release, just to make it through all the testing first. The one’s that didn’t get tested get sold at a discount and with a disclaimer.

Other guys are just chucking pollen and selling the seeds as soon as step 2 is done.

34 Likes

If you harvested a room full of seeded plants ,would you not know they were seeded for sure or have to wait til after they are dried?

To break open a bud to see?

2 Likes

Wasnt that one of the big issues with his berner collab? The beans were supposed to be refrigerated or stored in a freezer and it wasnt communicated to people properly?

3 Likes

You can tell, also break the calyxes and find a premie seed. Usually you can tell if pollen has taken by the pistils all turning red. So yes you can see if they are seeded early. This is also a way to test how long your seeds have come.

6 Likes

Yeah that was exactly the issue with the Berner collab. First release Bodhi ever had a hand in that was like that.

3 Likes

Thanks, every time I’ve pollinated I could tell .
Thanks for the replies.

I’ve been giving a bullshit story that’s all.
Fucking sad world we live when you have to lie to may a buck.

2 Likes

Yes no problem man. It’s annoying but usually if you read up on it you can find a ton of info on breeders here. Also their practices. We even have a few great sponsors that sell really affordable tested genetics, one to come to mind is @JohnnyPotseed

4 Likes

If it was a pre sale ,how does the breeder know how many he could sell ?

1 Like

I’m not up on all the practices of other breeders cuz. All I know is the proper way would be to dry em first, test for germ rate, or even grow some out!
I dry the buds before shucking beans, lol a few of the members here come by my house and have seen the plates with Ganja spread out drying, so I can mulch it down easier to separate the beans easier.
On my list of available beans, I update as more are ready, or as they get sold out. I try not to let the list get away from me…

6 Likes

People make orders for them. Then he stops it when he is out or all orders are able to be fulfilled

1 Like

If the breeder has not harvested the seed yet ,how’s he know how many he can sale?

More like pre sale after the seeds have started or are being dried. If they are pre selling seeds that are growing I would assume a large amount is being held and made so thus this could happen

1 Like

I don’t list them until I know, lol

4 Likes

That’s how I do it before I package up my seeds for storage.

1 Like

Even if it’s well known breeder with a famous strain ?

1 Like