Why strain? šŸ¦ 

I mean, if we want to be specific here on our nomenclature;

A plant Variety is a group of plants within a species that have a common set of characteristics.

1. Varieties develop naturally in the environment and do not require human intervention to grow and reproduce.
  2. Seeds from a specific variety will often grow true to type, meaning that their offspring will retain the parent plantā€™s unique characteristics.

A plant cultivar refers to a variation within a plant species.

1. Has been developed by a human horticulturist through controlled plant breeding, as opposed to occurring naturally.
  2. Seeds from a Cultivar will most likely not be true to type nor identical to the parent plant.

Maybe some un-worked wild landrace IBL would be classed as a cannabis ā€˜Varietyā€™?

Honestly the most likely term to use would be Cultivarā€™s as man has been cultivating this plant for at least 10,000 years. Even the lines we call ā€˜landraceā€™ are still cultivated by human hands, but we donā€™t have many cultivated lines, lines that breed true to type like a variety does. Maybe Deep Chunk or something? Otherwise, one cultivar will forever mean one plant, a clone-only, and not one seedline.

So we need another term to reference our breeding work. Strain makes sense :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

MFers who say ā€œCultivarā€ :wink::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:snob-rich

13 Likes

Also, since modern cannabis is so laden with viruses and viroids, ā€œstrainā€ is actually kind of accurate

2 Likes

Iā€™d be glad if ā€˜strandā€™ was eliminated from the weed lexicon. That particular word sounds like nails on a chalk board to me. No offense to anyone that uses it, its acceptable, I just donā€™t like the way it sounds.

3 Likes

For us, the word Strain scientifically means Cultivated Seedline.

I donā€™t see the issue. Is there a better term for that already? Cultivar isnā€™t it unless it breeds true to type or is a clone only,
and cultivation at all means it can never be a Variety.

6 Likes

Preach

And ā€œnutesā€. Stop saying ā€œnutesā€ :roll_eyes::man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

I want to stab a motherfucker.

6 Likes

Thank you. This brings it together for me. Iā€™m going to inject this into some discussions Iā€™ve had with folks lately. :wink:

:pray: @HolyAngel

3 Likes

The wine snobbery is becoming strong in the cannabis world.IMG_1584

3 Likes

On nomenclature we should really use the slash scheme, rather than A x B. I think thatā€™s more for crossing different species of plant.

OG kush / OG mush // GW Bush

not (OG kush x Og mush) x GW bush

http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/ricebreedingcourse/Lesson_3_Pedigree_program_management.htm

3 Likes

Haha whatcha got against nutes? Itā€™s literally just short hand for nutrients.

Iā€™m gonna start saying plant groceries. :joy:

6 Likes

Better watch out heā€™s gonna get out the Thesaurus :joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl: you in trouble now

1 Like

Robert connell Clark uses the word strain in his booksā€¦ good enough for me.
By the way, strain is used to mean ā€œstockā€ ā€œlineā€ ā€œancestryā€ since the 14th century and only became associated with viruses in 1897.

We could use mutt, mongrel, hybrid, itā€™s all the same

13 Likes

How about we just go back to ā€œGood Shitā€ and ā€œBad Shitā€?Makes it soooooooo easy

4 Likes

ā€œWhat are you growing man?ā€
ā€œKB.ā€

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure with federal legalization and better understanding, these antiquated street terms and ways of organizing that have become standardized within the community will go away in favor of horticultural homogenization. That doesnā€™t change what will be said in households and cars etc.

ā€œDid you smoke that varietal?ā€

ā€œYeah, it was very vegetal.ā€

2 Likes

Because thatā€™d be discriminatory toward bad shit :wink:

3 Likes

ā€˜Wide leaf-narrow leafā€™ā€¦

2 Likes

You may call it whatever you wish. Who are we catering too? Botanists?

7 Likes

ā€œYeah, it was pretty good, considering the leaves werenā€™t even that glabrousā€

6 Likes