1 dollar houses for sale in medical state

https://www.ksdk.com/mobile/article/news/local/st-louis-dollar-house-program-4-sales/63-eeb69915-e945-47a0-b82f-fff731bd503b

The city of st.louis has over 600 houses for sale for 1 dollar a piece and people don’t buy them…I would imagine most are in North st.louis which is honestly a ghetto but these are massive brick houses many 150+ years old and solid bones North st.louis was once the affluent neighborhood many of the houses there are brick mansions so anyone really hard up wanting to do some urban homesteading in a new medical community give it a look

Edit: some of the lowest cost of living in the country as well

10 Likes

Damn, wish I could, I’d buy up the block lol.
Wish we could find that here in the Great White North…

4 Likes

I saw that article the other day. Proud to be a part of revamping some of these N StL communities w the work I do w my full time job!

8 Likes

If it’s similar to Detroit the scam is that many of these places have thousands of dollars in back taxes owing and you automatically assume that debt upon purchase of the property.

Otherwise I’d probably be a Detroit land baron by now lol, I would have bought that silverdome too!

9 Likes

I’m originally from the Hyde Park neighborhood of North St Louis I hope I live to see it restored to it’s former glory

4 Likes

No back taxes the stipulations are the house had to be on the back tax list 5 years… There are about a 1000 dollars in costs from titling the property inspections and a class you have to take… The only real problem is that any electrical, plumbing, HVAC has to be done by a licenced contractor…I’m pretty sure you have to occupy it for a set amount of time to before selling or renting

7 Likes

I saw a billboard here for 1 cent joints with weed delivery orders.

:evergreen_tree: no thanks :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

My curiosity was piqued, so I took a gander at some of these properties–street view on google maps.
The houses I looked at all had seemingly nice bones… tons of potential… but egads, what a blighted neighborhood.
I think these are owned by LRA and offered to qualified buyers without any tax encumbrances.
However, the requirement to live in the house for three years is simply a deal breaker for me.

I recently completed the sale of a couple of single family homes in a nice residential neighborhood in South Carolina. I inherited them a few years ago and fixed them up and sold the last one in Sept ‘19. I lived in one of the houses for about two years, but as mentioned, this was in a nice neighborhood.
Anyone that may have confidence in the future improvement of this area, and could tolerate living there for a few years should do quite well in taking advantage of this offer.

10 Likes

They had a similar thing here before for I think County Durham, the only catch for £1 was that it’s lived in for X years and the houses are completely stripped out so can get a house for a quid but it’ll cost about 40-50,000 to put it right once you bought it.

3 Likes

I have a cousin who owns almost 50 houses in North St Louis never paid more than 5k for any of them…does a cheap rehab rents them out 5-7 hundred a month most houses that side of downtown are bought for the bricks and old trim pieces stained glass etc.

2 Likes

i got interested also. about $500 after fees and such. a class about home ownership. 120 days to get the outside to code (roof, siding, lawn) . then 18 months to get it livable, get a occupation permit (i assume get it inspected to make sure it’s ok to live in it), then own it for 3 years before selling or renting.

i’m still looking for a place, and this is really inviting. although it will be a bit of a cost to get it to livable.

7 Likes

The key to all of these houses is the roof if it’s been trashed for years the back walls of the houses fall in

3 Likes

You could get the electricity turned on for work purposes and honestly stay there while you work on it

3 Likes

well, i worked construction for 15 years. new homes, remodeling, concrete, those kinds of things. some of the houses look like the roof is failing, some look like they are in pretty good shape for being vacant. one catch is that electric, plumbing, hvac, all needs to be done by a licensed contractor. i’m sure i could find one who would let me do the work for a fee and say it was him. this is really tempting. even with having to deal with custody of my son. it would mean i wouldn’t get to see him nearly as much. but a free house…

4 Likes

I would assume complete gut rehab on all of them the two story’s will all have 12+ foot ceilings And pocket doors they really are Victorian brick masterpieces that time let fall in disrepair

3 Likes

So the rules say they have to be 1500 square foot or less single family homes. But the majority of the houses are 2-4 family homes. Im not sure how that works. But its so tempting. They wont be worth much by the time you could sell them. At 3-5 years from now they will be back up for sale. but after that, they will raise in value again.

I would love to take one of those 4 family places and make it a single family with an indoor garden :yum:

7 Likes

They normally just tax the first floors sq. Footage no basement or second floor

2 Likes

Are you trying to get me to move down there? Lol. I know enough people, we could probably buy up a whole block!

2 Likes

buy them all up & donate them to the public.

:evergreen_tree: :candle:

3 Likes

That would be the safest bet lol I expect in the next couple years we will have rec at which point I think the city will get a lot of new residents who want these huge houses for grows I personally don’t care who occupys them but I would love to see them get occupied and brought back to there former glory and for the area to get a voting tax base back

2 Likes