2020 Cannabis with Meesh

You and @PlantShepherd may be on to something here! It says it’s rust proof. And zinc coating is a thing after all … I got the tools as a gift. Came from Stark Bros. Website just says steel and rust proof. No more details than that.

@cannabissequoia Maybe, gonna talk to the main dude first

I just really need to know if I should pull up that garlic early and throw it out and if I should rake out those green onion sprouts that started today

3 Likes

Zinc is a coating to keep tools from rusting so it probably never got wiped down in the factory probably had a spray coating residue or something

I’m sure the cannabis will be fine either way I doubt zinc would end up being smoked idk though I’m definitely not a scientist

4 Likes

Anything stainless has zinc I believe… if you inhale the fumes from welding it, then damn you feel like shit! You know you got poisoned lol.

See what the guy says, maybe he will offer a free redo? In which case go au natural and grab your samples by hand lol

5 Likes

stay calm and wait till you have all the info
may be a total false alarm
repeat the test using another test sample collection method

8 Likes

Good plan. Cut the center of the plants out and trimmed back keeping the larfy shit away. Go for big crown nugs with nothing below them. So much easier come trim time :v:

7 Likes

Hopefully all is not lost @Meesh. Zinc is used in the galvanizing process and the coating of many garden tools, stakes, screws etc. I’ve read about Zinc contaminated soil tests in Steve Solomon’s “The Intelligent Gardener”. Hopefully the main soil man will get you to retest using a sterile scooper in different spots. Good luck! :blush:

6 Likes

Don’t get too worked up just yet. I’d talk to your soil guy and ask about the tool. I’m not familiar with zinc toxicity in soils. Sounds like at your pH it wouldn’t be available to the plants anyway. I would also ask about Cation exchange capacity, or TCEC. Hell, I like saturated paste tests as well so I can compare them against the standard soil test.

Meesh, I have Intelligent Gardener by Steve Solomon (pdf) if you would like a copy lmk. Might help to understand soil balancing and soil tests.

Edit: I’m not familiar with the Morgan test. Sounds like a pretty universal soil test. I use Logan Labs, and they use the Mehlich 3 extract.

7 Likes

So, the consensus on the zinc is that I probably got a hot test. Possibly from the garden tool or I could have just picked a spot in the veggie patch where my gramps had some sort of stake in there that I pulled out after a million years or nail or something random. Or because my p&k levels are so high, the soil juiced up the zinc level on it’s own to repair itself. The soil guy after consulting is not too concerned with it and my current veggies out there.

Now, apparently last year Dad and I screwed up when we dug out the planters amended it then were short soil for the planters and added store bought bags of organic garden soil to make up the difference. The soil had lots of manure in it which I didn’t realize. This threw the p&k off. Most likely why it came out sky high as part of the sample came from that bed.

The soil guy has asked me to get a new test with dirt in my backyard that has never been amended and we should be able to mix some of my other unamended dirt in the veggie patch to bring the levels down.

13 Likes

What would be an ideal light schedule to run indoors for seedlings before moving them outside? If I run them on a 18/6 light indoor and move them outside but they only get max 11-12 hours will they go into flower early?

4 Likes

I read somewhere best to follow the light schedule of the sun so when plants are moved outside they will follow same schedule and have a smaller chance of stress/ going into preflower.

3 Likes

Yes. They would flower prematurely. In Southern Cali where I am, they would need to be at about 14 hours of light. You can check the almanac for when the sun hours are comparable so you know what day they can be put outside.

9 Likes

If I were to grow outdoors and wanted to put plants out early, I would just setup a couple of small lights to come on for an hour in the middle of the night. This is enough light to break down the flowering hormone and keep it in veg.

That is another option. :+1::seedling:

7 Likes

About 2 weeks ago or so @Heritagefarms and I were discussing his og mother plant of Blue Dream. It made me pull out a jar I had. Of course it was Blue Dream autos I grew last year and not the original cut. Maybe if I’m lucky, he will be down in my direction in Late spring, early summer I can bribe him into bringing me a clone. lol Anyway, I haven’t set the damn blue dream down since then. I’ve had dispensary Blue Dream, I grew out some clones and have grown blue dream autos. Jetdro even gave me a fem seed for this year, but I have no way of knowing if the dispensary bud or the clones I had were from the og cut. I will admit that the dispensary blue dream I smoked had better flavor than mine, but the high has been consistent throughout. Whether seed, clone or auto, I can’t tell the difference in the high. I would be interested in trying a known original to see. Regardless, I hadn’t smoked any in a good 6 months or more and with the first hit it was like… Hello, old friend! How I missed you! I love you so! Funny, it’s the only strain that I consider medicinal for me and it’s the most pleasant and perfect high imo, but I talk so much smack about it. I love it so, but I still think it’s smell and flavor are underwhelming. It’s probably a complete coincidence, but I’ve had the craziest and most lucid dreams in the last 2 weeks since I started smoking it again. I already went through 3/4 of an ounce and that is a large quantity of weed for me in this short of a period, but I have been on a joint only trip for months now.

Blue Dream ramble over here! lol Been over on my regular garden thread as of late cuz everything else I grow is cracking while I wait for weed growing season. Tomorrow, I’ll will get the 2nd soil test sent in. Gotta figure this soil balance out.

12 Likes

@Meesh I’d be happy to get a clone of the original to you I’m not very mobile ATM but hopefully that changes soon. I just cut a few extras before putting the mom into flower so I’ll defiently have a extra one for you. I’m going to meet another memeber here in the near future to pass one to him and grab a Mac clone.

10 Likes

I could hold them :herb: hostage in veg for y’all… am central-ish at the capitol. :smirk:

Like fugitive slave train! :train: :train: :train: :seedling: :train: :train: :male_detective:

Then @Meesh would have to visit me! :joy: haha

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Im about 2 hrs east of you in the hills.

4 Likes

Glad to hear!

I have been enjoying a blue dream cross too! Blueberry Hashplant - so Bodhi blue dream x 88g13hp. Still has a bit more of strength than I could probably need for daytime smoking but some upliftment I feel from the blue dream comes thru. Haven’t smoked any real blue dream straight for years - would be a fun one to grow I think.

7 Likes

@Heritagefarms it’s still early. If you are near LAX airport, that would be amazing, if not then I still appreciate the intention. Thank you!

@cannabissequoia I really would love to meet Miss Betty :dog2: :heart:

@twistedinfinity That sounds interesting! How many weeks does that strain go?

6 Likes

Mine all finished pretty well between 9-10 weeks

4 Likes

I don’t make it to LA very often but will let you know if I do,I have a relative in Burbank. We need to organize a og Cali smokefest where we can meet up and trade cuts beans stories etc.

8 Likes