2023 Massachusetts Outdoor Growing

@CruJones Thanks man, I will definitely give it a try again next year! Those Royal #7 and the SD (can’t remember if it was AJ, Albany, Weasel?) you shared were both killer joints, nice smoke and a great rounded effect, could definitely tell the Royal is more indica, and it felt so good like a wraparound blanket effect.

Been starting to get some folks I know around here interested in growing once they see how easy it is, and most folks have some sort of yard even for just a single plant. That friend you met who drove me down to get the cuts did pretty ok with the autos I gave him, maybe we just didn’t acclimate those cuts well IDK but next year I’m putting a weather sensor in his sunporch so I can see what the temperatures and humidity are like, I don’t think he watered them enough. The Valley is a great place to garden and farm for sure, but sometimes that full sun is too much in the spring, I know his porch is south-facing and unobstructed, also usually unventilated. Womp womp, I told him to put them in the ground at his dad’s

I gave a bunch of plants to a woman I was seeing in Holyoke for a while but we’re not talking now so I hope those are doing well, IDK! She’s probably crushing it in her big yard with the starts I gave her and we made up a big batch of Sunshine 4, Dr Earth Tomato and Veg, worm castings, and some Osmocote Plus to pot with, I should say hey and see how she and her plants are actually.

Got the two landraces going outdoors and that’s been a really great experiment in trying outdoor (never done it with cannabis, just veg and flowers). Planting two sister plants in different places and soils has been awesome to understand some of the differences in expression between full sun/in the ground w/ organic amendments versus partial sun/in a small pot with organics and salts both.

Here is that Malana Pasture that’s in the ground at my GFs house (vs Malana Garage in the pot stuffed in a 2ft alley between the picket fence and garage):

10 Likes

Here’s a photo update after two more weeks.
They are packin’ on nicely.
Still looks like 4 to 6 more weeks to go imho.

10 Likes

Are they going to be able to finish?

1 Like

That’s the plan.
If the deep frost, (28F and lower for 3+ days), holds off
until December, they should be good.
I am hoping that 6-7 years has been enough time for the
Haze to begin to adapt to the cold.
I’ll bring the potted girls in to finish if the temperature drops.

7 Likes

That sounds like a killer cross for around here! I don’t have a lot of references for landraces other than what I see here but it seems like this is better termed a farmer’s heirloom, all three ladies I started were extremely similar in all qualities, with minor variations in vigor and such. The two that actually got planted outside are pretty darn similar, making me think that this is the result of prolonged selection for charas making or even ganja, the buds are very sativa without the foxtailing trait but of decent density and internode spacing. I would guess this is relatively pure but highly worked in Malana before the collection.

3 Likes

Malana Garage looking purdy

11 Likes

Good to have a frost plan ready to implement when it’s time with no indescision. I’ve been telling myself I’ll give these Malana up to three nights at 30F before I cut them if they don’t look done yet. I bet after some seasons of local acclimitization that could get pushed tho. Or maybe they’re already tougher than I think, Upstate was saying they DGAF about frost

1 Like

Went to December 10th last year on the last two girls.
20% amber trichomes they were finished enough.
They were all a good high after a few days drying and
I was pleased with the results after 9 months in Grove Bags.

Would like to get some Malana going next year and see just
how much cold they can handle.
(Probably just need to find some Upstate threads,)

Hopefully yours will finish before the frost @Dirt_Wizard.
Looking forward to seeing the results.

6 Likes

That’s all she wrote, folks! First outdoor went great for me despite the summer monsoon weather, grow Himalayan plants y’all! Not a trace of budrot, a little septoria on leaves but given what I’ve seen here this season it’s not even worth mentioning. Malana = bulletproof

16 Likes

15 Likes

I’m with ya, Last gets it Today… Halloween Gore Galore… ah ah ah haaaaa…

Edit: The Gore After Math - Happy Hell on Weed fellow Massholes :skull_and_crossbones:

8 Likes

The never ending trim.

10 Likes

28 degrees F this morning.
Ladies are a little droopy but look okay.
If they can make it pass tomorrow, should be good all next week.
Hoping to get 2+ weeks more. Trichs are still clear now.

DSC_0001aa

9 Likes

They look pretty good considering the temperature.

2 Likes

Thanks @Northern_Loki.
If they get past tomorrow morning, they should be good until
next Thursday or Friday.

3 Likes

It was definitely chilly this morning.

24 degrees this morning where I am in MA…sativas are for the fearless!

3 Likes

Yeah. Hope they make it. Tonight is supposed to get REALLY cold. :cold_face:
Looking good though, still!!

3 Likes

Im a member from Western Mass,Just wanted to say hey to all my Masshole fam.

6 Likes

Hey! I’m originally from MA, now in RI :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes