2023, new year new start....... sourdough start 😉

Gotcha.

Nd10

1 Like

this thread reminds me of that older irish bread-making member we had on here who quit. i wonder what he’s up to.

4 Likes

Irish rocker was awesome I enjoyed that guy! If the same… butcher too I believe. Miss his posts.

4 Likes

That made me laugh after realizing what you said. :joy:

2 Likes

This is also Pawsome!

3 Likes

I’m with you, lemme find some bread flour :bread:

2 Likes

Hey bread heads!

@HeadyBearAdventures I printed up their starter tutorial and have been watching Joshua Weissman’s sourdough starter videos on YT.

This is the first time I have made a starter or made SD bread. Im currently on day 5 of the process. Fun project! Looking forward to learning from and with y’all!
Keep it Crunchy!

4 Likes

Awesome brudda! It’s such a cool process to me; I’m actually headed to my brother’s house I’m Kansas City today to meet my family, and he has a starter that we’re going to use for bread, waffles, and kolache this week!
Edit: I’ll take pics!

4 Likes

my first career path in life was baking.
I stared at 15 and switched to cooking at 26… then to steel fabrication(silly me) … which ended in a bad life changing workplace injury.
So now I just bake for fun LOL
My house specialties are pizza dough and pastry. I do bake bread from time to time but we have this lady we know that makes incredible breads as a home based business so we like to support her. My wife is supposed to be eating gluten free and the bread lady makes really good products for the celiac/gluten free folks… which is why we went to her in the first place.

Sour dough… I have made up several starters over the years and my wife ends up tossing them for some dumb reason. I get a bit angry when she does… LOL but she kinda fails to understand that it can be kept near indefinately as long as it is parted and fed.

I was hoping for a nice fat fall black bear as the berry crops this year where I hunt were exceptional and lasted until freeze up. Fall black bears gorged with weeks of feeding on berries just have the absolute best fat for rendering into lard for making pastry.

anyhow… inspired by this thread and because my wife is out of town for 10 days… I think i will start another sour dough :wink:

10 Likes

Right on man! I got a bear this year :bear:. It’s going to make for some wicked pepperoni.

7 Likes

Oo, bear pepperoni, that sounds good.

4 Likes

I haven’t gotten to it yet, should be freaking awesome. We have gotten another bear in the past, but this was my first. Kind of my top of the list animal to get. Also having a full rug made and skull mount. Crazy thing is it’s a 3 year wait! For the rug…

1 Like

That’s a very prized hunt around here. You doing a European mount then?

2 Likes

We are able to buy the tag every year… it’s just if you ever see one lol. I’ve seen more cougars than bear in my life of hunting. My dream has always to have a beautiful rug made and spread across a wall in my house. Yes euro mount. It’s going to the beetles soon…

3 Likes

My neighbor down the hill raises about 20 blue tic hounds. He’s got quite a few cats in our canyon. I believe he takes people out for cougar and bears. I need to get more acquainted so I can go out with him.

1 Like

We can only hound hunt coons. I believe. Not much fun imo. I don’t like the idea of treeing a bear or cat. If legal where you are bait barrels would be fun I think for bow.

Checked my forgotten fridge starter. It has become some sort of new species. :laughing:

Time to start a new one!

3 Likes

Have you used the hooch for anything? I’ve heard it’s good in compost. You can use it like beer batter (as a ‘base’ with more flour and/or water) or in place of a roux in a white sauce. I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger joining the party, I’m staring at a mountain of dishes right now though arg haha

1 Like

Never used it before… just split my new year start for more… it’s looking good so far.

Repost from my thread:
We’ve got fermentation!! Getting ready to feed for the second 1/2 of day 6. I honestly was starting to get a bit worried as I hadn’t seen anything since like day 2 or 3.

12 Likes