2023, new year new start....... sourdough start 😉

Here is my new year sourdough start we started on the new years day. Here’s to awesome breaddddd :bread:.

52 Likes

Any way you can post your recipe & instructions?
This is something I’ve been wanting to do-- but there are so many different versions–would rather go with one that I know someone is actually successful with!

8 Likes

So what we do is equal amounts of the flour water 1 to 1 mix. Wait 2 days then observe bubbles. Scoop out half. Mix in new or cleaned jar 1 to 1 to 1 water/flower/start. Should work for you :smiley:
Discard other half and any hooch that is made. Also make sure to have air exchange, like a paper towel on a jar with a ring lid.
Paws

16 Likes

Thanks!!! The only kind I’ve ever done is the Amish sweet bread starter- sugar, water, yeast and flour…then you use some every week and keep ‘feeding’ the base… not the same as actual sourdough…

5 Likes

Also you feed it every 24 hours then faster as it gets older. Once it had started

3 Likes

Thanks!!! Gonna start some this weekend!!! :blush: :+1:

2 Likes

Right on, hope you well with the project. It’s fun. You can make some awesome stuff!

2 Likes

If you use a portion white flour and a portion rye flour, you’ll get a wider variety of wild yeast I believe.
Also, check out The Perfect Loaf , his blog is immaculate, and this link will take you to his starter recipe. All his tutorials and recipes are cleeeeaaan. @Lady.Zandra63

13 Likes

Kewl beans! Thanks for the info and link hun!

You’ve both been very helpful!!! :blush: :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Love sourdough! Have one starter thats going on three years old now. Trying to work on the score art now.

27 Likes

DIS IS PAWSOME!!!

:hugs:

6 Likes

That score pattern is awesome

4 Likes

This is my starter from 2020… had this going for a good 2 years. Then we gave it away to a family member.2396aecdcb59d10e0b3e73adabf6c07f7f1bf7f3_2_375x500 7dd1c7cf827734c4173023b2701932a44390bcd1_2_375x500

4e47fe53fe51be4726b9472771b842506662aa0a_2_666x500

25 Likes

Interesting how bread predates farming

23 Likes

I’m such a dope head. I thought this was a post about a new strain!
Delicious looking loaves!

8 Likes

There are lots of wild plants that can be used to make “flour”…and then flatbread or possibly soyrdough…any starchy tuber, acorns, chestnuts, lambsquarter, and wild potato!

6 Likes

Hmm, I myself have been interested in doing this. My wife is crazy about sourdough bread. Me, not so much, lol. Does it have to be a special kind of flour?

2 Likes

Nope just regular works fine

1 Like

Feed with…more flour?
I feel helpless here, lol.

1 Like

So at first do half and half water and flower, let sit for 2 days in a warm place. Once you see active bubbles and it may rise a bit. Your ready to start feeding it. Every 24 hours split the start in half. Then mix equal parts water/flour/starter. We did this today.
For example. Measure equal parts 30g 30g 30g. And mix. Let rise repeat. Also good to poor the hooch off the top if thick enough. If runny then just stir with a clean spoon before mixing.

4 Likes