2023, new year new start....... sourdough start šŸ˜‰

Im in. Iā€™ve been know to bake a loaf or two in my day.

Starter:
100g rye flour
125ml distilled water

7 Likes

Sounds like itā€™s right on schedule! They usually flare up around day 2 or so and smell really tangy (the first one I ever did smelt exactly like Southern Comfort :laughing:), then theyā€™ll die out for a couple days. From what I understand itā€™s a different type of bacteria colonizing at that point in the process

2 Likes

Got my starter rollin again! Need to get some loaves going soon.

14 Likes

Just refreshed mine for the second day. Had a little spill over overnight and had to scrape up dried bread dough. Five more days before I start baking. Not sure what I want to do yet. Maybe a whole wheat or a rye bread, IDK. Iā€™ll figure something out.

5 Likes

Nice! @ramblinrose
Making some sourdough discard pancakes this morning!

16 Likes

Mmmm mmm. Lookin good man!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not done this for a few years now, making a starter. I once used Sandor Kratz Wild Fermentation Book, his way.
Now I found the Bread Code on YouTube, and his starter process, is much the same, but a few differences, So The Bread Code, is what Iā€™ll follow.
Just got to go get some wheat grains, and some rye berries today.
You all are so much better at this than I am, so will be following.

6 Likes

Nice man! Itā€™s a fun little hobby. Iā€™m pretty lazy with my actual recipes, prep and cooking. Usually just use loaf pans and some form of 75% white flour to 25% wheat or rye. Adding in some honey can be a nice touch. 4 stretch and folds every 30min after inital mixing, then throw it in the fridge once itā€™s risen ~75% or so. Cook it after a day or two or three :stuck_out_tongue: in the fridge.
I do highly recommend doing sourdough pizza dough, focacia, and ciabata especially was delish.

6 Likes

Do you use proofing baskets?

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking of getting someā€¦

1 Like

KOLACHE (technically klobasnek)

We used 4 different sausages: Andouille, Argentinian chorizo, bacon/jalapeƱo/cheddar, and a Cubano style sausage with minced pickles, mustard, and cheese inside.
They just came out of the oven!

12 Likes

Are they necessary? Im looking at a proofing kit with 2 baskets, bench scraper, etc.

2 Likes

You donā€™t have to have a banneton, hereā€™s a link for some alternatives:

3 Likes

Nah I do it really simple ha. Mixing bowl, keep it in the same bowl until post-fridge. Then I just shape dough on floured surface and put it in the loaf pans to form. The few times I did dutch oven I think I just formed it on the floured surface and then put it back in mixing bowl? I stopped doing the dutch oven b/c I prefer the loaf shape - even if the dutch oven might have better crust and such.

3 Likes

No they arent

1 Like

before feedā€¦ sourdough start coming along. Nice and sourā€¦

10 Likes

This thread got me pumped to start one upā€¦I had a culture I kept going for years when I lived off grid in the bush but sadly lost it when I moved back to shitty due to (I think the municipal water out tap) Been many moons since I had a good sourdough so Iā€™ll climb aboard and get something going this weekend :call_me_hand:t3:

7 Likes

Got one going

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been doing sourdough quite a long time. I initially followed the Babish/Weissman YT vid, as well as other JW vids, and Kingdom Bread Tampa, as well as reading some books, like Tartine Bread. I would say the most important thing is to handle the risen dough very gently when shaping.

Happy baked baking! :smiley:

18 Likes

That looks nice!!! I canā€™t wait to make a loaf. And a bread bowl. And moreā€¦with the new starter of course. Freak thing I ran out of flowerā€¦ go in the grocer tomorrowā€¦my starter is doing very well. Just fed it about 5 hours ago. Next stop flower shopā€¦ one of the best things Iā€™ve made was sourdough cinnamon rollsā€¦

7 Likes