36 Watts or Bust!

I would flush the pot and start watering with plain water if it was me, and wait with the harvest untill it have yellowed up.

Might take a bit longer then 9 weeks, but as @ReikoX say’s, the trichomes will tell when it’s ripe.

2 Likes

Gotcha, I’ll see what I can do about getting a hold of a pocket microscope or loupe and see what the trichomes are doing. I don’t mind couch lock, but I’m more of a mind melting kinda guy, so I’m looking for more cloudy than amber.

5 Likes

I’m still waiting on a pocket microscope, the 27th will be week 9!

It’s definitely stinking a bit more in week 8 and 9 as it’s finishing. I’m guessing this is where the plant really starts freaking out about making seeds so it’s constantly creating new calyxes to get seeded!

8 Likes

Looking really good!:heart: Such nice bud structure :heart_eyes:
You can get them for as low as $10 on Amazon if in a pinch. Grab a Jeweler’s loupe

1 Like

Looking good bro! One thing that works well if you don’t have a scope is a pair of binoculars, just flip them around and look thru them the wrong way👍

4 Likes

You got it. She should be getting fatter as a result.:+1::seedling:

4 Likes

Dude Hash, I thought you were messing with me! I used the binocs and sure enough when you get about 2~4 mm away from the eyepiece it mags stuff to around 20X with a lot of distortion. I can clearly see the amber, there are a few which I guess is good. I’d say on the order of less than 5%, I did spot some cloudy as well. I’m still waiting on the pocket scope so hopefully then I can get a better estimate.

I understand that some of the plant can mature faster than other parts, Is there a place I should be looking to get a good representative sample of the average age of the trichromes?

Or is it an entire averaging type of thing? In other words, I think I have some buds that are kinda old and are very mature, and other parts of the flower are kidna new. One of the older buds which had lots of amber and brown calyx hairs, all of a sudden shot out tons of new calyx hairs which are all white!

Thanks for putting up with my annoying questions everyone, I’m really learning a lot!

5 Likes

Or a camera lens works great also :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My plant did the same as your’s with the mature buds throwing out new growth.
I think it’s the plant’s last resort to get seeds by pollinating itself. As she started producing nanners about a week later.

2 Likes

LOL. I was wondering if you would try it. It actually works pretty good with some binoculars! I kind of prefer it to some of the cheap ass pocket microscopes.
You can always progressively harvest and take notes on what you like but I usually just average it and I cant tell any difference. From the sound of it you probably have a week or two left. Patience is rewarded!
I like to look closer to the bud than out on the sugar leaves and find the tops mature or degrade faster with the light. Just keep an eye on them and you’ll see a trend. I always shoot for 20% amber myself and I still use the old adage “if your not sure, give it another week”
Looks like some good smoke!

4 Likes

Bit late into this, but it looks awesome! Makes me think that a standing 35w micro-grow challenge on OG would be cool.

4 Likes

Super Epic grow,cant believe its only 36 watts :grinning:

6 Likes

Really pretty gall and even more impressive with the lower watts!! I got a loupe with a lil led light…it helps my getting worse vision.

3 Likes

Rereading this thread again for the umpteenth time and I am just stunned…brilliant in more than one way. So many of you here on OG continue to impress me, not only with your skills but also the ingenuity used to achieve outstanding results. I am a big fan of the DIY’er… I tip my hat to you sir:tophat:

4 Likes

OK, so the microscope arrived. Yesterday the 27th was it’s 9th week in flower exactly.
I went over the plant with the scope, it was pretty tough since the scope has a fixed spacer that is optimized for tabletop viewing. LOL The Binocoulars were a lot easier.

I checked several areas, I noticed a lot of clear trichromes. I saw a few cloudy, and then the odd black headed amber one. I say black headed because they’re dark brown like really dark honey.

I’ll check on friday to see if any more progressed, but I’m guessing at this rate it needs about another week.

The plant has stopped drinking, since the dirt is still really heavy from it’s watering on Sunday.

Esrgood4u, I’m sorry I saw you ask a question a while back, and yes I repotted the plant on Christmas. I moved it from that halved 1/2 gallon Milk carton to a 4 quart landscape fabric bag I stitched together. So I transplanted it and switched to flower all in one shot.

I’ll see if I can find the exact lightbulb box that I used for this case. They’re GE 9 watt 800 lumen bulbs with a color temperature of 2700 kelvin.

Here we were last night:

12 Likes

Sounds about right. They looking good :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

From that last pic it looks like there is a flush of new pistil growth going on? This can confuse things a bit. Some strains seem ready and then they will throw out another lot of fresh pistils, the Incredible bulk strain I tried a while back was like this eventually it started to foxtail and then I pulled it anyway despite the trichomes not being ‘right’.
In my view the colour is just a guide/preference, and not all plants seem to behave the same way. it’s possible the end of those buds may fill out a little more.
any way you look at it, it’s not the end of the world if you miss the perfect day by a few days, it will still be dank:) Nice chunky structure this plant’s got, I’d be tempted to introduce it to a nice sativa :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think I’m getting close to chopping. Tomorrow will be exactly 10 weeks in flower. Believe it or not, the binoculars are actually better for scanning a plant while it’s growing. The microscope is really tough to get close enough and stable enough to view a plant without plucking samples to look at on a flat surface.

I re-watered it on Sunday and I hit it with full strength nutrients, I don’t know what I was thinking but I made that mistake. It smelled more pungent than it ever has, I’m guessing after it got a drink it began it’s last hurrah before transitioning into sesequencensence. <- I’m leaving that word there because I butchered it so bad, I want it to shame me on figuring out how to really spell it.

Here we were last night:

Here’s a close bud shot:

(I think this bud’s calyxes off the top are so white because they might be being bleached by the LED just above it’s head!)

12 Likes

Very cool story. I’m 34 and hammer the beers hard. I should probably stop.

5 Likes

During my early thirties is when I hit my power drinking stage. During my mid thirties to late 30s I started trailing off since you physically can’t drink 36 beers anymore. That’s when you switch to liquor since guess what, you can pack 36 beers into a fifth and only 12 beers. During my early 40s is when my body started waving the white flag. I lived with physical pain, ulcers, and just feeling generally shitty.

Once you’re alcohol free for a few weeks you feel so much better. I had to actually stop, and sit still for a while and think to myself, “You know what? my guts don’t hurt anymore. Is that for real?” Sure enough, you almost forget that your body was in pain almost constantly.

My last drink was a bunch of margaritas with extra floaters. I felt horrible, and that was the launchpad coupled with a few grams of some schwag that got me sober for a year and well two months now.

The sleep is a big one, I was a big after work drinker, and when you have to pack all that drinking into the space of a few hours then pass out and head to work the next day, you’re lucky if you get a few fitful hours of sleep.

That’s one of the BIG improvements you’ll get almost immediately, there are of course other benefits, but that’ll be the big one you’ll notice right off the bat of a few weeks!

9 Likes