36 Watts or Bust!

First a little backstory, pull up a chair.

I was a big drinker for the better part of 22 years, and when your young you can put the hammer to the streets, when you get up in age it really starts killing you literally. I’ve stopped drinking in December, and I have to say a big part of my success in staying alcohol free has been Marijuana. I would typically vape anywhere from a 1/2 gram a night, and that was all I needed to take the edge off.

Were it not for the weed, I’m sure I would have easily given way to the temptation to grab a six pack and be right back where I was. Looking back at where I’ve come from, I can safely say that for myself Marijuana is about 100 times less harmful than alcohol. (At least for someone who drinks more than one unit of alcohol daily hah!) My only source for bud was from a friend of a friend. That friend has moved away, I’ve completely run out of flower and I haven’t vaped in about two months now, while I’m a bit bummed, it’s definitely not like going from drinking daily to abstaining, not by a long shot.

Let me detail my plan for providing myself with a bit of flower.

I’ve always been interested in growing, but I’m in a state where marijuana is still very much illegal.

Out of the three bags I got a hold of, to my surprise there was a few seeds rolling around in the bottom of one of the bags. I smiled a bit and stuck those things in the refrigerator.

I’ve been looking at all of the progress that’s been made with LEDs recently and started thinking about a stealthy way I could possibly grow a small plant and maybe harvest some flower. I’m a bit of an electronics buff, so when I started seeing LEDs get large enough for lighting, the gears started turning. I’ve made a few stabs at grow lights, and saw the space bucket phenomenon take off, but again, when your getting pissed every day, and working, couple that with lost weekends, shit tends not to get done, so while they were neat ideas that’s pretty much what they stayed.

I really started jazzing on the stuff Mr. Sparkle was doing, I had for a long while started thinking about microcontrollers for system control, and built a temperature based fan speed control with an arduino. Between the different chinese COBs, powersupplies, and other ideas I had rolling around in my head, I realized that I was getting mired in the design of the grow equipment and not really building anything!

I decided on a PC case, ( Ugh yes I know ) because it will blend in well and looks natural in the environment it will be sitting. The bucket is a great idea, but it really kind of stands out like a sore thumb. I also decided on using off the shelf LED light bulbs for lighting, after I saw a lot of threads on Phillips light bulbs I decided on this route, but the implementation went a bit off the rails heh. I started looking at PC cases last year, and with what I was doing in mind needed something that was big enough for a decent sized micro grow. I finally decided on a sorta large PC case from Antec called the PC100. This case called out to me, because it was simple, and didn’t have big clear windows. It was all steel, and had a hole in the top for two fans. Immediately I knew where I was going with this case. I’d mount the LEDs to a large heatsink and suspend it from the top of the case, and pull air over the heatsink out the top.

I had to cut away a fair amount of junk like drive trays and stuff from inside the case to make room, fortunately it was mostly pop rivets and drilling them out made the stuff I didn’t want in come away easy. I used dollar store poster board to block out the larger holes in the case, supplemented with aluminum A/C ducting tape. One of the most difficult parts about adapting this case was getting rid of the foam sound dampening that was contact cemented to both steel side panels! Ugh! I ordered a rather large heatsink, it was 17-1/2" x 5-3/8" by 1-3/8" this is where my COBs would be mounted. The heat sink weighs about 7~8 lbs.

All of this hinged on the ability to bolt these off the shelf light bulb COBs to the heatsink, so I went through a few brands before I settled on the winners. I started with GE, Phillips, and another house brand I can’t remember the name of. My primary goal was heat dissipation, I live in a hot part of the country, and in the dead of the summer I can only get the temperature in the house down to 83 degrees without spending a fortune. This also pretty much precludes growing in the summer. So I can’t cram too much into the case as it is. The house brand of LED bulb lost out immediately, it had a complicated ballast with a tiny transformer and a whacky DC/DC converter, the Phillips and GE both used a simple full wave rectifier with a tiny filter capacitor. Both used a little resistor as a fuse on the AC mains input. Both GE and Phillips use the same constant current driver chip on the COB. Between the GE and the Phillips, the GE won due to the fact it had three holes in the COB to which I could bolt them to the heatsink.

The Phillips only had two, and they were awkwardly in the way of input as well so getting them soldered up would be a pain. I liked the simplicity of this, so I decided to mount four of these GE 2700K 9 watt LED COBs directly to a big chunky aluminum heatsink. I’d then build a simple circuit that would rectify house current, then supply them in parallel to all four of the COBs.

I checked the driver chip on the COB and it’s listed as a LED driver which will take anywhere from 100~200 volts input to drive the COB. I was kind of guessing due to the simplicity of the circuit in these bulbs, so I measured the input to the COB with them screwed into a socket and sure enough, I saw 150 or so volts DC. I was relatively certain that this was what was going on in the bottom of the bulb. My other primary goal was not burning the house down!

As Dieter from Sprockets says, “Your story has become tiresome!” Here is a schematic of the case:

Sorry for the gigantic wall of text. I have three plants growing in it now, I have pictures of them and I need to post them on how far they’ve come! Give me a bit and I’ll get them up.

Thanks!

29 Likes

My original plan was to start this whole thing in by August, but work and my own ineptitude got in the way and by the time the first seedling emerged it was the middle of September!

I painted the whole thing flat white on the inside and got the electronics mounted and secured.

I decided to stick them directly into Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil, in clear plastic party cups. (Duh) The first round of beans didn’t sprout, so I took some new beans and scuffed them on an emery board, then stuck them in. About a week later I started seeing the first sprouts! It took them FOREVER for them to sprout, in retrospect, I think I had the soil WAY too moist. No drainage in the party cups! I’m surprised they didn’t drown and rot. After letting them sprout a bit under some under cabinet lighting I moved them into the case.

Here they are in their new home, ready for ol’ greenthumbs to begin their torture.

This was taken on 9/14:

I’ll post more when I get a moment thanks for checking this out!

21 Likes

Nice setup!

Welcome to Overgrow!

I like the dimensions of the PC100, how difficult was it to strip the extra things out?

6 Likes

It’s all French to me! Lmfao, good to have you. Pulling up a chair

4 Likes

Looking good friend welcome to OG! Micro growing has its own set of challenges but it is rewarding for sure! It gets addicting especially in the planning stages.

The “leggyness” of your seedlings was probably due to your light not being at an optimal distance from your plants. Those 9w LEDs can be placed as close as 3 inches from your plants without causing issues.

As for germination, you might want to read some of the articles here on the various methods and find one that works best for you. Everyone has their own way but once you get your process down germination will be the easiest part of a grow :wink:

Also going to tag @Mr.Sparkle in here, to make sure he’s aware of this project :wink: he’s got alot of the micro growing kinks figured out and his threads are a great resource for the type of build you’re working with.

7 Likes

Hey @zap_rowsdower

Welcome and I am happy to hear, and not surprised, that cannabis has helped you too. And yeah, cannabis is pretty much harmless. Good pain med.

If you control alcohol, its not an issue. If not, alcohol will keep on robbing you, of your family and of your health.

Looking forward to your progress.

:eye:

99%

4 Likes

@jellypowered You can see the drive rails on the right there, the left side of the drive cage was secured with about 5~6 pop rivets. I drilled the rivets out and yanked them with pliers and the rest of the drive cage snapped clean away! The drive cage could literally hold like 10 3.5" HDDs and there’s space for like 4CDs lol!

I relized those seedlings were stretching so I stuck some tupperwear under them to get them close to the light. Also the two other seeds I crammed into the three original party cups germinated about 10~12 days after the others sprouted ahead of them. I removed them from the party cups and put them in jiffy pots. I’d eventually cull the Jiffy pots since I originally planned on three plants initially. If I can’t get three growing, two other runts aren’t going to make anything easier. I also got wise to the clear party cups and taped them over to keep the roots happy, I also punched holes. I’d love fabric pots, but you can’t find fabric pots in this size! I’m going to have to make my own.

Here they are all closer up on 9/19:

9 Likes

Hi Mods,

I made a mistake posting this, and I’m clogging up the General indoor growing section, can someone move this to Growroom diaries? Or if there is a way I can move the thread could someone chime in? Thanks!

3 Likes

Looks like @Worcestershire_Farms got you fixed up!

Thanks for the reply on the case. Your gonna do great in there :slight_smile: how’s your training skills :wink:

Looking good man, reminds me of my old PC build. I think it’s still around on ICMag…

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=313850

I can’t remember whether it’s 15 or 16 years, but my mom’s been an AA regular & I am proud of this. Her drinking was a big destructive force for us kids. :thumbsup: Glad to hear firsthand testimony about cannabis helping kick alcohol to the curb. Best wishes & good growing.

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Hey thanks for the words of encouragement everyone, I’m almost current with the photos and I’m plodding along. Originally when I started this journey, I planned on two months till harvest. This was a bit optimistic to say the least. Considering I don’t know what the hell I’m doing, and I’ve made a bunch of mistakes, it’s going to be more like three months!

I removed those little jiffy pots, since I only planned on three plants in the first place, and those other seedlings which emerged must have been the other seeds I planted before scuffing the others! That was almost 10 days till germination. I have a feeling it was due to me flooding those poor little seeds.

I finally had it with the solo cups, I transferred them to terracotta pots, and I’ve gotta say, the terracotta lets them breathe better than my solo cups. They also keep the soil well drained, although after two days at this size they’ll start getting too dry. I dare say you could probably go three whole days before they really started getting crispy.

I’ve got the plants on a 20/4 cycle right now. What’s really funny is that these little plants definitely look indica now that I’m noticing. For some reason I had it in the back of my head that all bag seed is sativa, I was planning on having to really get aggressive with the bending and lashing thinking they were going to be lanky sativas, but they’re squat little indicas, I couldn’t have asked for a better start. Lets hope one of them is a female! Here they all are in their new terracotta pots, this was taken on 9/23:

Thanks for moving the thread to growroom diaries, that’s where I needed to post this anyway!

7 Likes

here’s my answer to a Solo cup(and every other growing container).

still needs more holes. :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Thats what i do with all my solo cups and containers…i also put a single layer of pebbles down before my soil…seems to help drain more

3 Likes

Why not give nursery bags a try?
They’re cheap on Amazon for about 400 of them. They come in 10cmx8cm, 12cmx10cm, 16cmx14cm, and 20cmx16cm

I was going to use them on my next grow to let me pot up in a stress minimal way if any.

3 Likes

Hey all,

I had a family emergency, and I had to leave for a few days. I really watered them, but when I got back after four nights I opened the case and this is what I saw:

The bottom is crispy but the tops are still flexible, I rewatered them hoping they’d come back, and one sorta is, but I think they’re gone. :frowning:

That’s life though, looks like this round is bust. I’ll try again in a bit and post the next try here once I get these cleaned up.

5 Likes

@zap_rowsdower , really sorry to see your project got hammered. It was looking good. Good luck on your next go.

2 Likes

I’ve had it happen too, it’s difficult to take time away when you hand water…

2 Likes

Maybe your next project could have some sort of home made makeshift drip feeder for when you have to leave them alone for a bit. Over watering is not good but is more forgiving in the short term than them drying out.

2 Likes

That sux, better luck next time!

Maybe get rid of the clay pots, they speed up the evaporation.

Blumat irrigation might be a solution, have seen many positive reports on them.

2 Likes