8" inline fan enough to cool 3 1k Gavitas, 18x18 room, ambient temp 65 all year long?

I’m setting up a veg space, its 18’x18’ room with 8’ ceilings. Temps all year stay around 65 degrees. I plan to run (3) 1k Gavitas DE in this space. Do you think a 8" fan rated at approx. 800cfm would be enough to keep temps in check? Fan will be connected to a carbon filter and incoming air is via passive intake and is around 65 degrees all year long.

3 Likes

I’d say no unless your gonna run the lights at 500 watts and even then the temp will climb gavida lights put out a lot of heat .

2 Likes

You might be alright with the cool intake air. Why such a large space? If you cut it down to like 15x5 where the lights are you’ll be at around 600 cubic feet of space which the fan should exchange once a minute.

Also you’ll want to dump the hot air somewhere else, if you put it back to the intake area it will get warm fast.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of veg space

1 Like

The hot air will be exhausted outside. The incoming air is coming from a lung room that stays cool all year long.

Its a big space but within the space also is a clone rack, rack for supplies/nutes etc, (3) 265 gallon reservoirs that take up a 4’x4’ space each, plus a stair structure. It sounds like a big space but my veg table is 7’x16’… I plan to run the “spread” on the gavitas over the 7’ section.

Reason I’m specifying 8" is because a friend’s got a pallet of 8" fans… worse case I grab 2 8" fans to deal with the heat. The two fans combined are way more efficient than any single fan pushing 1600cfms.

4 Likes

From my experience with them Gavitas on the 1k setting don’t put out any more heat than a standard 1k single ended bulb. I think when people say Gavita’s put out more heat, maybe that[s on the max 1150 setting? Feel hotter and actual temperature are two different things… 1watt = 3.41btu, don’t matter the source, single or double ended.

2 Likes

I think you may be okay. People over exaggerate the heat from gavita a bit they throw heat but are designed that way because greenhouses run cool and even run co2 generators as a 2nd secondary heat heat source. I find its easier to air cool them than cool them with AC in a sealed area. with 8 foot ceilings you may be cutting it close, the more headroom you have to buffer heat the better. if not you have to make up for it somehow.

3 Likes

I think you can get away with it no problem, since your ambients are so nice. It may be nice to have a second one depending on how far/how many turns the duct has to exhaust, or for extra ventilation should you need it.

You’ll probably need to run it close to max setting, two on a lower speed would be nice for redundancy and noise reduction.

I can cool a 1K with a 6" on less than 50% speed, 3K with an 8" at near full bore should be no problem at all.

2 Likes

I’ve never used double ended but I’ve ran 3 normal 1000w hps with two inlines one at each end of the lights in a room pretty close to the size of your veg table when it’s not summer, come summer it can only run two lights with a window unit a/c but it’s a brick oven of a house

I would pick up 2 try it with one if you want but if you can get a deal on them fans I would grab a couple then if one does work you have a backup

2 Likes

I would definitely like to hear how it goes, I have a 12 x 17 room with 8ft ceilings.

3 Likes

I agree with this. My 750’s run amazing on 600 and are supposed to be just as efficient at 750. If I crank em all up to 875 I experience heat issues. I’ve ordered more btu to test what is required to achieve 78f at 750 x3-4 for myself in my 10x10 ish 6-6.5 foot space (accounting for floor joists areas which are used to compensate for ballast height)

Cheers for the wattage to btu calc.

2 Likes