Ah, you told me that before and I keep forgetting
Of course, the downside to that is the mist quality (droplet size) and flow rate will be constantly changing while the pressure is changing. You will get smaller droplets, but higher flow rates at 100 PSI, and larger droplets, but lower flow rate at 80 PSI. It might be a good idea to flow test at both pressures just to see how big the difference is. You might need to take an average of something when it comes to calculations. I have no idea what the difference might be - Iv done all my testing at a constant pressure.
On the other hand, that may not really be that much of an issue - especially in your case. At the flow rates you were running before, your pump must cycle a lot more often. Faster cycle times should tend to even things out I would think. As far as I have heard, those pumps are pretty bullet proof, so higher cycle rates shouldnt be an issue there. Plus, the smaller nozzle openings your using may not be as sensitive to pressure changes.
Feel free to ignore all my rambling - Im half baked
I was considering switching to a diaphragm type pump at some point to reduce noise, but now Im vaguely remembering the normal 5000/8000 series wont go above about 120 PSI? I cant remember now, but I was wanting higher max pressure so I could have a larger differential between the min/max pressure so I could lower the cycle rate on the pumps.
That might be worth considering if you are subject to power outages very often. You can run the solenoids and timer for many hours from a small 12 volt battery, but your pump will need a much bigger back up power system.
That is something I have been intending to do, but have not gotten around to yet. I have a battery, wiring, and switches to do it, but no automatic relay. I would have to wire it all up using flashlights if the power were to go out suddenly
Im not toooo worried about it even though I probably should be. Our power hasnt been off for more than a few minutes in three or four years at least.
In other news - it occurs to me I have mostly been posting BAD NEWS items. So, I want to shout out another big thanks to @Northern_Loki for the donated RO filters and @MicroDoser for additionally nudging me to make the switch to RO.
Since the switch, I have had zero zombie algae apocalypse 'brown outs' on the roots like I had earlier. I am sure its the RO water mostly, but the UV light is probably helping as well. I know its killing something in the rez anyway.
I cant decide if this next thing is good news or not, but the roots are growing really well - a bit too well. Im loosing two more nozzles to the roots, and the duct tape roots are getting out of control. Im going to have to get in there and do some root trimming again and move at least two nozzles again. The top of the chamber is so full, I can no longer get my hand anywhere near the back 2/3 of the chamber or into the bottom section - unless Im willing to crush a lot of roots. So, no more 'root tour' videos. Its getting more difficult to even get regular pics of the roots for lack of room. Im guessing Im somewhere close to or over 30 gallons of roots at this point. The lower mat is in full contact with the umbrella in several places as well.
As far as I can tell, this isnt a major issue at this point. I dont smell any root rot and cant see any drying out anywhere. I can only assume the roots are wicking moisture from where its being sprayed to where its not - at least enough to keep things going. At least thats my hope. I cant see or feel anything in 2/3rds of the chamber though.
Im hoping I can get this root mass out in one piece and get some decent pics of it.
In the mean time, here are a few pics as best as I can get.
I just noticed there is a big ass tap root growing UP into the duct tape!! Now Im starting to worry about the strength of my root chamber lid! The lid is just 1" thick foam circle 24" in diameter with a single piece is aluminum bar as reinforcement. If that root breaks the bond between the foam and aluminum bar, the whole plant could drop into the chamber!!
I decided to trim some roots back up top to free up one nozzle, but I stopped. I would need to trim out at least a gallon or more to do any good, and Id rather not do that - yet. Plus, Im worried about the extra damage Im doing by handling and any cut pieces that drop in the chamber could be a source of rot.
Im going to make up some root cream' and see if it works on my arthritic joints.