African landraces and heirloom thread

Very nice! I’ve been interested in this one. I hope they turn out well for you. How many males?
What do they say? 14-16 weeks? Nice work keeping them healthy in a one gallon. I don’t think it’s too late to put them in two’s though. Might still help yield.

2 Likes

Smells? I know Landrace team has what they called Mozambique Poison that’s supposed to smell like enamel/banana/passionfruit but has an incense/fruity terps. I ended up getting the Gambia instead but had second thoughts since I was grabbing anything with potential banana terps around that time

4 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread @US3RNAM3 ! Great idea! I have NO experience w/African strains (yet!) but I’m "highly’ interested! Oh, and it’s 4-20 over here already, so Happy 420 everybody!

:call_me_hand:

8 Likes

Happy 420!! :evergreen_tree: :fire: :smoking: :milky_way:

2 Likes

Great thread idea, hopefully I can contribute content in the somewhat near future!

3 Likes

Agreed! Not everybody buys into the subtle energies that can impact an environment, our linear thinking in the west is all about the direct inputs that are easy to draw correlations to such as altitude or latitude.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! The curing can also change the color - making it very dark/black. You may want to read through the cobbing thread on icmag sometime to gain more trip report insights to build on the research foundation you’ve already established. The wetter the flower when starting the curing, the darker the color can turn.

3 Likes

have read dozen pages on that thread, no flying experiences nor hallucinations on the dozen pages

1 Like

it was more like “this bud was soo, so strong” reports.

1 Like

I had one male. The seeds are very old stock and out of 7 seeds that I tried to germinate there were only three total that did not fizzle out. I had to manually crack each one and then put them in EWC. With the other seeds I purchased from them I’ve had zero luck germinating the Malawi and Drakensburg but I was able to get one Swazi going.

I’ve been hoping they would finish within that time frame, they were listed as 10-12 weeks though. We’ll see.

Yes right after I had posted the above I thought “duh” why not just pot them up now, I bet they’d appreciate it!

It looks to me the resin is just barely starting to build up and I’m not getting much aroma yet. The #1 has a light honey/floral scent and I’m really not getting anything distinguishable on the #2 yet, maybe fresh cut grass on the stem rub but nothing more than that right now.

4 Likes

Seems like youre just scratching the surface. Unsure if you meant one dozen or dozen(s). At the most that’s like ~10% of the thread. Im still making my way through the thread, not every post is golden wisdom but definitely some gold to be found in them thur hills! Some day soon ill finish it.

2 Likes

yes, 100 pages read, thats where i stopped… anyway

*Allegedly Sierra Leone variety (not mine, found pics from a fellow preservationist)

sierra leon 1

sierra leon 2

20 Likes

hahaha, we’ll haveto change that experience level! @Roms has an interesting cross of Red Thai from Isaan region and Swazi Red from Afropips that may be a great marriage to wet your beak with the African influence, in due time I’m sure other opportunities will present themselves!! (EDIT: or if you want to go all the way Africa, try the Swazi Red pure)

6 Likes

Great thread @US3RNAM3 ! My daily smoke has foundations in Durbain Poison and being 1/2 South African i totally dig this hard!

2 Likes

Good Vibes @US3RNAM3,

Knowing the 2200 BP fossil pollen found in Madagascar it out-dates all westerners theories about cannabis spread in Africa. So my Austronesian theory developed since 10 years find its place and i think it needs new study by official scientist of cannabis. Evolution comparable to coconut, banana and sugar cane, all from South East Asia! So big spread from the South since antic times and it’s in my opinion one of the reason of the Bantu and Zulu migration to the South, Eswatini Kingdom influence and then spread to the North and Central Africa, Dahomey Kingdom. Then i think about another later spread from the East and Ethiopia from India.

To resume all the best spots for the best quality i think we need to consider altitude as first factor

!

EUMZQt_XQAMPOF6

6 Likes
5 Likes

That’s really a cool story ! Seeds all mixed up, can be a good thing. I’d be honored to sex out a few, and see what happens !!! Thanks, Chubby

Updates? Sexing the plants now?

1 Like

I found my post. 6 000 year old pollen was found in Namibia.

Pretty unexpected info. In my mind, this makes Angola’s genepool potentially very, very old, due to the okavango deltas proximity to Angola, on the border. As old as South Africa’s genepool, perhaps, or even parent to it. The Red strains of Angola may have actually moved towards both South Africa and South America. What is it doing here? Who grew it? The Okavanga Delta in Botswana has been a meeting place in Africa for a long long time, but the location of this pollen finding really gives more questions than answers, as it is surrounded by large landmasses in all directions. From which way did the cannabis supplying this pollen get here? If you travel upstream from the Okavango Delta, you are in Angola. The pollen was found just west of there, nearly smack dab in the middle of all Southern Africa, in northeastern Namibia. It could have come from any direction initially. We need more pollen for conclusive evidence. I think there is pollen of similar antiquity (6,000 years)to be found in much of Southern Africa.
But this extremely old date predates known Austronesian migrations by thousands of years. Evidence of Austronesian Genetic Lineages in East Africa and South Arabia: Complex Dispersal from Madagascar and Southeast Asia | Genome Biology and Evolution | Oxford Academic
A real headscratcher. @Roms. Maybe genetics traveled the opposite direction, lol. Namibia to South Africa and with Austronesians to Indonesia. Unlikely for sure, but this finding opens up the conversation, doesn’t it? Very confusing information. Perhaps there were earlier contacts between Austronesians and South Africans we have yet to learn about.
In India cannabis flowers for 10-14 weeks at 30 degrees latitude and 2,500-3,000 meters elevation. In South Africa, at a similar elevation and latitude, Lesotho can flower 18 weeks.
Swazi is a few degrees less and traditional swazi Red flowered 20 weeks. Transkei is 18 weeks. Kwazulu is 18 weeks. Durban is 16-18 weeks…These flowering times are out of place for the latitude. They are too long. Imo this means the genetics (at least in part) originally came from somewhere closer to the Equator where longer flowering plants traditionally grow…ie Indonesia/ Oceana is what I think too.

It just occurred to me what all those weird circular man made stone walls in the Kalahari seen from Google Earth  were used for. Old weed plots. For sure. lol ancient breeding program😁
8 Likes