Ancestral varieties of food, what do you plant?

@Uknow808

I believe not, the acidity is concentrated on the top of the fruit, in addition to being fibrous and extremely acidic

2 Likes

Cool topic ! Those pineapples look delicious! Glad to have ya on OG!

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m also very happy :smiley:

1 Like

Didn’t know pineapples could open carry

6 Likes

Happy to be part of this thread. I am addicted to gardening. Always finding new things to plant. This year on the farm we tried strawberry spinich at least from the 1600s. the green were good added to salad and the red berries needed some extra sweetening but still were good. Orach has now also become part of my property it just comes up everywhere now. Right in the lawn. I love it :).

2 Likes

Where would the seeds be located in this store bought pineapple bromigo?

5 Likes

I think the translation is not helping, the seeds are in the fruit … In wild varieties it is very common, in commercial varieties they are rare …

This is the structure, I only got it in Portuguese … but it helps to understand better …

6 Likes

Really that’s great info bromigo…wow, definitely not in store bought pineapples…when you plant the seeds how long till it bears a pineapple?

2 Likes

The same time of the crown, from 2 to 3 years, depends on the development, they are one of the characteristics to be selected, besides the quality and resistance …

2 Likes

Today we harvest pumpkins and coffee …

We also harvest cassava and make artisanal flour …

12 Likes

We also made sugar, molasses and brown sugar, using sugar cane.

14 Likes

I’ve read that pineapples are indigenous to South American and people from South America brought them west to the Pacific Islanders…

3 Likes

That’s right, it’s from the new world …
He was considered the king of fruits, for having the crown …

In Europe, it was used to decorate the nobles’ table,

It was taken to different parts of the world, and improved. They selected the absence of thorn sugar content …

There are many types in the Amazon, each region plants a type …

4 Likes

Good to know. I will for sure try to dry some skin out next time I get an organic pineapple. That sounds like some goods. :+1:t4:

Aloha From Hawaii :call_me_hand:t5:

1 Like

Which variety of coffee is that? Do you know?

1 Like

Nice bitter melons

2 Likes

arabica coffee variety new world, brought by portuguese …

2 Likes

Nice :+1:t4: I worked on a coffee plantation here for some years in thier agriculture department. We had a bunch of varieties typica, blue mountain, yellow and red catuai, yellow and red bourbon, mundo novo are just a few of what was there

Have you guys had any experience with coffee borers there?

3 Likes

Thank goodness no, I have about 30 feet to consume. I have not heard of this in my region for the time being.
Commercial productions are a long way away, and as a shaded plantation, with a lot of biodiversity, I don’t see many problems. Only fungi, many …

3 Likes

That’s great news. Yea I know alot of it has to do with people taking tours in orchards that contain the CBB (coffee borer beetle) and then going to another orchard.

1 Like