Ancestral varieties of food, what do you plant?

That is an amazing fruit. Nature truly is inspiring.
Very tropical looking area you are in.

1 Like

Btw, I have Fig trees from my retired Italian Chicago school teacher friend…he has been growing for years…he got cuttings/clones from his father back in the day and now he grows it in a suburb of Chicago.

I freeze my fig, it’s like nature’s candy and also make my own fig newtons…

11 Likes

I’ve read that wasps will hollow out a fig to lay their babies in them. Have you ever seen any in a fig?

2 Likes

I have never seen any in my figs and I know it happens…

2 Likes

We have figs here too, we eat fresh or make a sweet. Put the fig and sugar in a pan and purify until you lose all the water, then put it in sterilized glasses, it lasts from 1 to 2 years …

To make seedlings, cut branches, after fruiting and taking root, to make a large plantation with few plants …

How to make?

1 Like

I’ve seen something here, but the wasp lays its eggs on the bud, when they hatch, the larva enters the stem and leaves eating …

It attacks cassava, passion fruit, and another variety attacks pineapple and curcubitaceas

Despite the tropical appearance, the pests are also diverse …
You can’t imagine what a nest of ants is capable of doing, cooperation is incredible, but the capacity for destruction is great too …

1 Like

I Love pineapple i juce them alot, really cool thread cant wait to see wat else you got going on
Happy growing :seedling::pineapple:

1 Like

Today we harvest Lulo or naranjilla (Solanum quitoense), native to the Andes, very rich in nutrients and easy to grow … Very special, other Latin friends can say more about it, since it is not common here in Brazil …

9 Likes

We also have the caninanã snake … It is not poisonous … A beauty …

5 Likes

Hell no bro not for me that would freak me the f out. :cold_sweat: lol :rofl:

Aloha From Hawaii :call_me_hand:t5:

2 Likes

They feed mainly on mice, for this function it deserves a prize !! They accompany people for a long time, as well as mice, cockroaches, fleas, etc …

hug

3 Likes

Yea I know they help the environment but that’s one hella creepy animal I dont ever want to see lol :rofl:

There are no snakes :snake: in Hawaii.

2 Likes

I had no idea of ​​this information, very cool … I learned something new … I like Hawaii even more …

I meant in the sense that the pioneers of Europe who settled here, learned from the Indians and kept this type of snake in their grain and food storage places.

I don’t think there was any food left to have cats at the time … :joy::joy:.

hug

1 Like

Lol haha cool bro thanks for that information too. Makes sense :snake: :drooling_face: :rat: we both learned something new :+1:t4:

Yes I bet the cats :cat2: would of been on the menu :drooling_face: Lol :rofl:

1 Like

Italian Rapini & Romanesco…

11 Likes

@PhilCuisine wow! You grew that thing perfectly! Great job, my romanesco never looks anywhere near that good. I always do quite poor with broccoli and cauliflower. I think my spring Temps just go from so cold to so hot here so fast.

2 Likes

Hello brother, sorry for the delay, this vegetable is amazing, it looks like what we call cauliflower, would it be a variety?

This one is called porongo, cariri, or gourd. It is a curcubitacea, from the same family as watermelon and pumpkin.

It was and is used to store water, cachaça, musical instrument, berimbal, bird house among others.
In addition to these uses, when cannabis was not banned here in Brazil, smokers used it to make bongs, and it is common to find someone on the street with this. In my profile, there is a photo of one of these smokers.
It can be eaten when it is immature.

hug

6 Likes

Yes, a certain kind of cauliflower…they come in purple too.

7 Likes

What kind of marijuana strains are down there? I sure would love to see some of my homemade strains being grown down there…

1 Like