Any Audiophiles Out There?

That’s really good to hear. I always have to fiddle around with earbuds to get a proper fit, so I save quite a few from past sets and really try to get them to stay comfortably sealed. I like to have a decent pair of wireless buds for working outside and my little brother just sent me a pair of cheap ones I thought would shit the bed right away, but they are fairly rugged. QCY is the brand I think.
I’m away from my DJ equipment and record collection right now, but when I can I will post a video of my stuff. I have a lot of Hip-Hop 12” singles 1988-2010, Motown & Old School R&B, DJ Breakbeats, sound effects and scratch records. There’s also a lot of Classic Rock, Progressive Rock and Old Tex-Mex, Cumbias, Salsa and a little Mariachi &Jazz.
Dude, I love running vinyl through old stereo amps for listening on the AKG’s. Try the thrift store and get an old Teac, Technics, Pioneer or you already know. It’s a profound, direct, warmth I love. The bass is so punchy and the highs can be piercing, but you tune to the individual recording. Do you need a pre-amp to a mixer or amplifier from the turntable?
I have some older Mackie preamps and the Schiit products are really cool.

4 Likes

I think it would benefit from one…
The A/V Receiver has a phono plug but you have to crank the volume to almost max to get anywhere.
And once I do that there’s not much headroom left!

3 Likes

Sorry, I edited the post above. So high right now.

2 Likes

What kind turntable & needle? Is the turntable grounded? Runs to a mixer then goes to an amp? Or straight to the amp? Something wrong with that input on the receiver possibly. I remember having problems with volume through the phono plug so I would just switch to auxiliary or some other input and it would fix the problem.

3 Likes

It’s a Toshiba SR-FX70 no known manual that I can find…

It’s going to Onkyo 705, it’s older but still sounds good.

Here’s the specs, no info on cart…

2 Likes

1958 Magnavox

9 Likes

ooooooooh… tubes.
I fucking love tubes, especially in my guitar amplifiers.
I am also very high.

I have a nice technics quartz timing turntable that needs service. Oh boy do I have big plans when it’s up and running again.
I’m going to take edibles and listen to 16 hours of unedited Apollo 11 communication between the eagle, the lander, and ground control. On LP. Biggest box set you’ve seen in your life, and some of these records have never even been played.

4 Likes

In a nutshell what is quartz timing? Assume it’s to do with the D.C. Motor.?.
On the TT, it says something about Quartz, just curious.

Going to try and get a shot of the cart with my cheapo Amazon 60x iPhone lens.

One guy contacted these peps and told him he had a Empire Cart, using same TT as mine.

https://www.turntableneedles.com/Find_Turntable_Record_Player_Stylus_by_Model_Number_for_TOSHIBA

BTW, Sweet Amp! Looks old.?. Never mind, lol 1958!

2 Likes

It’s ground to the receiver. Tried it without and there’s a lot of noise.

2 Likes

I can’t give a technical explanation, but in short, just as quartz watches were a huge technological advance in wristwatches for both accuracy and manufacturing, the quartz mechanism in a record player is used to ensure that the motor keeps an accurate speed with no variation.

and just to be clear, that’s dequilo’s amp. I’m not nearly that fancy haha.

2 Likes

Yeah that thing looks like it bites, lol! Three differ size tubes! Bet that can get $$$, sweet though. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve seen the brand Mackie around with powered speakers and such.
Might have a problem…
From what I’ve read if you have a built in pre-amp without a selector switch, you CanNot use a external one.

If so that sucks!

Mine just doesn’t get loud enough and having one would be ideal to begin with.
Going to crack open the screwed on cover on the bottom. It says user serviable on the sticker.
Kind-of curious what’s in there, speed control hopefully.!.

Really don’t have much of an idea of what I’m looking at or for. There has to be some way to work around that. :thinking:

Edited:

The TT is going straight to the receiver, no external amp.

When I installed it, I remember getting two differ volume levels. But…I’m not about to chase that! Plus the config it’s in cannot change much.
There are two things related to HDMI, that may affect it just going by memory here…I swear at one point during the install it was fine (the volume).
The CEC and HDMI Audio Out are set to off. Can’t remember if the CEC is off or not.
It doesn’t work right anyways, so no biggie.

And it’s only the phono channel that has a volume issue.

2 Likes

The turntable with a built in pre-amp should have separate “line output” and “phono output” cables or ports on back. If there’s no line output, it’s just meant for a TT to pre-amp to receiver only for whatever reason. I can’t tell if your sweet ass turntable has a line output or not. When I put turntables through the DJ mixer first, I use the aux input on a normal receiver not the phono. If I have to go mixer to sound board, I have to use an active direct box between the mixer and board. That damn phono input is only good for pre amps which I understand, but phono pre amps were never common equipment. I just always said fuck it and put the RCA’s into the Aux or CD unless it was a bigger amp with XLR, speakON or those clips. I needed to have 1/4” from the Rane mixer to everything possible because they will always have what you don’t at the venue or not the right direct box or some other problem.

2 Likes

Hummmmm…I see that the newer TT’s have a switch but not mine. On the back there are only “hard wired” rca cables and a ground cable.
So I assumed it has a pre-amp already inside.?.

I tried the CD and Aux ports both come through at very low volumes.
Here are a few pics…One of the outputs and the others of the Cart.

1 Like

Did a quick search…From an article in 1980 said “Then comes the 344DE - same body as the 340 but elliptical stylus and cost is $100.00.”

Seriously you think this old thing is “sweet”? I have no idea, got it from my dad many moons ago. Been sleping this thing across the country for the last twenty yrs with little use.

Now that vinyl has become more popular I have a reason to finally use it proper! :wink:
Not to get totally off topic, just throwing it in…

2 Likes

It’s strange that there were no differences in volume with the other inputs. I have extra Shure and Ortofon carts I can send you when I get to my stuff to check if a different one works better. By way of troubleshooting, unscrew the cart from the tonearm and make sure the wires from the cart to the head shell bracket are connected properly and clean. They should be color coded and obviously not loose at all.
I probably have all kinds of extra shit you might like. And yes, I honestly think it’s a sweet ass turntable. To begin with, it has a DC motor with quartz timing and isn’t a belt drive, rubber band piece of shit. It has features that you really want as a home listener, so you don’t damage your records just dropping the needle. It’s a professional style tonearm with fine adjustments and the platter is solid aluminum and or steel I believe. Push on the platter itself and see how it doesn’t just give way easily like a flimsy plastic one. The digital speed display is cool too. That’s why the platter doesn’t have those dots on the side with a light like Technics 1200’s. It’s a quality wheel brotha.

3 Likes

Really stupid question coming…Are the dots & light supposed to act as a timing light like in Automotive Tech?

I did some searching on the cartridge and it is a rare one, looks like only a few yrs it was out.
It seems to be a “decent” cart mid-range quality. But that was 40 yrs ago and I know it’s had a ruff life.

I’m wondering, can or do you match the cart by the tonearm? I mean it’s a curved tone arm 1/2 inch probably seems like what most have.
They Called it induced magnet. Same as MM?

May Pm ya if that’s ok.?. Didn’t want to bog the thread down…

Edited: Inputs CD & AUX volume is very, very low. The phono Input is much higher but not high enough.

I read whilst looking at carts this one has a very low output, that caused some issue with the volume level.

And thanks BTW! :pray:t3:

2 Likes

Exactly the same as a timing light. Just take a look and see if the stylus is crooked or anything. You can send me a picture from straight on if you like and I’ll tell you. The head shell is fine, you don’t need a new one. The cart will unscrew from the headshell and a new one should have a new set of wires with it. The cartridges are standard sized, so you shouldn’t have a problem. There are some new carts you might see that have no wires and no headshell like the Ortofon, they just screw right into the tonearm and are standard as well and will fit yours. I will try to get my brother to bring my DJ bag when he comes down so I can send you one with better output from the cartridge. Shure stopped making needles a couple years ago, so it might look extra vintage with an old Shure cart I have. I might not have a new stylus for it, but it’s in good condition and a replacement shouldn’t be hard to find for it and around $20. PM me anytime. I’m in AZ and I stay up late.

3 Likes

Older turntables use cartridges that are low output - much lower than a tuner or CD player or any other source - so this needs special amplification. They also need an equalization curve applied called the RIAA curve. All a cart is is a diamond that follows the grooves in your record, moving a cantilever which moves a coil or magnet in relation to a fixed magnet or coil, generating a small electrical signal that your electronics amplifies. Many older receivers will have a phono stage which does the job. Newer receivers will usually only have line level inputs & they will therefore need a phono pre-amp (actually a pre-pre amp) to make the turntable’s output listenable.

6 Likes

The receiver has a phono input, it’s prob 10 plus yrs old, a Onkyo TX-SR705

The TT has one built in but no switch for line or phono. It doesn’t get loud enough and the sound quality would prob benefit from a external amp.

But, all I can come up with is no external pre-amps with a built in amp in a TT.
And that sort-a sucks! It’s a bottle neck now!

Depending on 40 year old cables, silver (looking) connectors, etc…:confused:

1 Like