Any Audiophiles Out There?

Trying to replace my headphones, old ones were Sony over the ear. I picked up Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, just got them today.
They are ok, a little tight and deff a Flat/Neutral cans. Which is what I wanted, not Beats with over driven muddy bass.

There were a few more I was looking at like these

Any suggestions? Looking for over the ear closed with a Flat response, wired no Bluetooth.

14 Likes

Iā€™m very happy with Sony MDR-V6ā€¦ Very affordable tooā€¦

Great definition and Iā€™d say very neutralā€¦ I use it for bass practice mainly and want as much realistic presentation as possibleā€¦

13 Likes

Wow 35 years of the same model Sony must of hit a home run

11 Likes

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Klipsch-Heritage-HP-3-Headphones-Walnut-Open-Box?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0ZSx1faN6gIVzZ-zCh3s1wdhEAYYAiABEgI0F_D_BwE

HERITAGE HP-3 HEADPHONES

9 Likes

I recently upgraded my Grados to these bad boys.

I have been happy with the sound of all my Grados.

GRADO - RS2E REFERENCE HEADPHONES

11 Likes

Beyer dynamic dt100ā€™s there a reason they are industry standard in the PA and studio world

8 Likes

+1 for the sony studio monitors. I use the Sony MDR-7506 for mixing and theyā€™re great. They say theyā€™re over-ear but the depth of the ear cup isnt as much as other over-ear headphones

6 Likes

As already suggested Beyer Dynamic for closed back.
Had HD595 & HD650 in the past, lovely but a wee bit polite for rock. Had cheap end Grados too but iā€™m currently using K712 pro, stunning cans but you need a good amp.

6 Likes

You guys are making my jvc Bluetooth headphones look like garbage :joy:

7 Likes

Sennheiser?

Iā€™ve had various sennheisers over the years. Love certain of their open air models. Very transparent and sensitive. Iā€™ve used these way back when to help in mastering audio recordings, can hear everything. Have the HD600 now.

8 Likes

They are very refined and great at picking out fine detail eh, especially the HD650. Never had a set of HD600 but iā€™m told they are dam good. The jump in sound quality from the 595 to the 650 was surprisingly big. They were just that bit laid back with rock music, leading edge impact a bit rounded if you get me. My Gradoā€™s were much more upfront but with lighter bass weight, could get tiring and they leaked a lot of sound which annoyed herself but iā€™m no fan of closed back designs. With the K712 i get the lot plus really impressive bass which never seems to get bloated. :+1:

8 Likes

I had a pair of MDR-7506 for over 25 years. They took a lot of abuse crammed into a backpack I carried around with my mobile audio recording rig, but kept on doing the job. Their even response was exactly what I needed to evaluate my recordings. I replaced the original ear coverings with velour from Beyerdynamics at one point and that was a nice improvement. Thereā€™s a reason these headphones have been a standard for audio engineers for decades. Eventually mine began to show their age. I got the itch to upgrade and replaced them last year. Note that the ā€œproā€ MDR-7506 is nearly identical to the ā€œconsumerā€ V6 model that @LemonadeJoe mentioned. At one point the only difference was gold plating on the plug.

My computer audio workstation has a D>A and pre-amp feeding a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, which @NovaSphere included in the initial post. I recommend them.

I also picked up a set of Sennheiser HD 599 SE for the office. Though I havenā€™t set foot in that building in nearly four months due to quarantine restrictionsā€¦ Theyā€™re fine too.

10 Likes

So I tried them out for a few hours after I posted the OP. They are a bit tight, as some have said, and hot too. Ordered them straight from the manufacturer and they have a 30 day return policy. Iā€™ll try them out for a few more daysā€¦
Canā€™t put my hands on my old Sonys, still work fine but the headband and ear muffs are worn out. They leave little black stuff everywhere but are ok besides that.
Here is a link, I didnā€™t get the amp but Iā€™m wondering if a differ pair may be better.?. Like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X or something similar. I like the Gradoā€™s but prefer a closed can rather than open, for this use.
Trying to keep the price around a $100.

Here is a site that does in depth reviewsā€¦

6 Likes

Hoping not to have to worry about a pre-amp. Which the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro say might be necessary for music driven by small devices like iPads and iPhones. They are rated at 64 ohms or something close and the others in this range are half that.
Wish I could find my Sonys, they had a left and right ear cup marked with blue and red.

3 Likes

The Sony MDRā€™s are always a solid headphone. I beat the shit out of them for years drunken mixing. The cord is perfect if youā€™re going to be moving around. Gotta have a coil! For the price they are fantastic. Shure and Monster make solid in ear phones that donā€™t get overmodulated at higher volume. Iā€™m talking common brands, the true high end monitors these days are nothing but honey butter in your ears. I got the green Quincy Jones AKGā€™s and they are

huge and impractical to wear outside, but they sound nice when youā€™re playing Innervisions on vinyl and they feel like a memory foam pillow.

8 Likes

Iā€™m thinking about trying the ATH-M50x from Audio-Technica. How big of a differ is there between no amp and using an amp? A lot of the music will be from a Tablet, some from a receiver.
Would you say they are necessary?
FYI, Iā€™m referring to the small amps like this one or the one that is in the OP. Thx! :facepunch:

Here is one for exampleā€¦It will not work with a iPhone because there isnā€™t a 3.5 jack. And I havenā€™t had to use a small amp like this before either.

What would you recommend? Thx Again!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z1V634H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07Z1V634H&pd_rd_w=GSwSF&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=OA3Vi&pf_rd_r=ZQ25TXK1VYP7P9RM3MGE&pd_rd_r=137ab068-a6ac-46a0-ba4d-e8ae0b1d5483&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNDU3SVNLVEMyVjBKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTI4NjE1MjhBU1AyMTVBR081VyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTc0MTMzMUs2UTkwTEtFUFNWMiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2 Likes

Sounds like they need that classic headphone restoration known as electrical tape wrapped around the headband

3 Likes

Yeah I guess I couldā€¦Bought them 2002ish so I donā€™t feel to bad replacing them. Iā€™d like to find them so I could compare, probably under the bed or something. :wink:

3 Likes

That is something that is very noticeable between the different models, Iā€™ve found. Almost as though they were purposefully tuning the headsets for very specific styles though they donā€™t explicitly say so. Very noticeable. The lower end models (cheap) arenā€™t that great for my ears.

It was years ago but I remember trying on each of their models (open ear) and each had a difference in the sound stage and the highs (which is what I was most concerned with). Only one, to me, had the transparent sounds I was looking for along with a strong localization ā€¦ practically 3D ā€¦ and it wasnā€™t the more expensive model. I canā€™t recall the model I had at the time but Iā€™ve equated that to the 600ā€™s today (without going through the same evaluation). Sensitivity ā€¦ pretty awesome when you can literally hear the kick pedal mechanics on some recordings (otherwise lost in the mud). Also canā€™t remember how damped they were on the lowā€™s, definitely not the loose thumpers popular with some models.

Really hard to go wrong on the higher/mid-end models but, for those looking at the Sennheisers, try them out before hand, if possible, with your style of music. Peter Gabriel is a great test for sound stage. Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon has some great sensitivity portions.

5 Likes

unfortunately the mdr-v6 is out of production, and pricey to find a new set at this point. I had a pair and loved them, but they developed a loose connection. I still might be able to fix them with a new cable some day.
The mdr v6 was truly special because it was one of the only headphones on the market that accurately reproduces both ultrasonic and subsonic frequencies.

I now have a pair of grado sr-60ā€™s that I am quite happy with. I upgraded them with a pair of sennheiser foam pads which made them much more comfortable. The grados have a great sound stage and sense of spatialization for each instrument.
However, they really only shine for listening to recordings of acoustic / physical instruments. These are not great for synthesizers / electronic music or rap. The highs are just too unforgiving in their piercing accuracy, which is great for vocal and instrumental performances, but it makes synthesizers sound pretty harsh and unnatural.

For the most part I listen to everything out loud with a nice set of amplified studio monitor speakers. They are great, but it has really changed how I watch films and tv. I am now very sensitive to poor sound design and audio mixing. It makes me realize how overlooked sound design is and how rare it is to find a film with truly excellent audio.
Iā€™ve found that japanese films in particular tend to have very clean, precise, powerful, narratively effective yet unobtrusive soundscapes.

For more casual listening I have a JVC micro-component-system from 2004 which kicks ass as a traditional stereo with a ā€˜flatteringā€™ stereo sound. Not accurate per se, but warm pleasant and musical sounding with a great soundstage and spatialization excellent for all kinds of music. It sounds like the classic high end stereos of the 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s, but in a tiny form factor with a matched set of bookshelf speakers.

3 Likes