Anybody growing in 100% hydroton?

@Ghostfarmer420 Dude clones just done rooting should be kept around 500 then increased to 700 throughout veg… You shouldnt be hitting anywhere near 1000 ppm before mid-late flower. Also rooting is somewhat easier around 6.4-6.6 when transplanted the ph should be kept at 5.8 any fluctuation either way will cause lockout of some nutrients usually by allowing too much of a conflicting nutrient
pH-availability-chart
resourcesmulders-chart~2
These helped me out alot with dwc
Good luck brotha
Actually these can be helpful with soil and everything else too :rofl::grin:

2 Likes

thank you for your advice, however this mulder’s chart is making my brain hurt. i have no idea whats going on with the arrows. anyway i solved the problem it took a lot of patience to find out that i wasn’t using enough calcium. now they’re crushing.

Haha, I was about to post that this thread is exactly like one I read a number of years ago. And it is the same thread…

1 Like

i bet its a common problem when growers go from promix to soiless medium using RO water the promix holds everything the clay holds nothing

I grew flood and drain, waterfarms using only hydroton for over a decade. Worked very well for me. I got away from the hydroton because I got tired of washing rocks lol. Now I am using straight perlite because I have a manufacture near me that sells direct to the public so I can get 5 cuft bags for $7.50! The perlite works great and I like that it’s very much whatever pH I feed it with. I have had issues with peat based mixes and coco having pH crashes.

1 Like

I buried hundreds of pounds of it once in my backyard, in a giant, deep pit, not realizing it would turn into a giant Indiana Jones level quick sand style death-pit. I got to play the game, “don’t fall in while taking out the trash.” Whoopsie.

2 Likes

Only ever used hydroton. And personal preference is cannas as there balls are a lot smother than some other makers.i do have to ph daily. But thats no biggie.using a flood and drain system and results have always been good, root balls always look extremely healthy. But, I’ve never done it any other way.

I have found dripping hydroton can lead to transplant shock randomly if dripping in hydroton make sure your drippers are watering evenly and your roots are in perfect order before you transplant the whiter and bigger the better they will take to the clay better. if they shock its a mess and slow really slow

also i dont seem to have and issues with p.h. so long as i stay between 5.6 - 6.4 i dont let it ride on 5.5 or 6.5 because my res seems to drift .2 in either direction over night

1 Like