Investing in marijuana stocks

Well I wasn’t too keen on the new US traded ETF.

But I should have bought some of the Canadian ETF.

And Canada does not have the loose cannon Sessions to roil the markets.

Surprise! The First-Ever Marijuana ETF Has More Than Doubled

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/investment/markets-and-stocks/surprise-the-first-ever-marijuana-etf-has-more-than-doubled/article_06cd524a-f86a-562b-9e7e-c216d2b22fe9.amp.html

1 Like

No doubt, there is money to be made.

Risk/reward?

The Sessions factor will eventually and inevitably, be nullified, IMO.

canadian stocks seem to be soaring recently but it is 100% pre-profit for all of those companies and i have a feeling the stocks will sink drastically with the first earning report after legalization. they are betting on future earnings atm and i think they are grossly overestimating their profits.

also a good chance conservatives will win the next election and kill the whole thing anyways. everyones sick of dildeaus shit

2 Likes

Yes, you are largely correct, these stocks are inherently risky.
And that is why I like the ETF, because instead of just one company–it is 14 different companies…this helps minimize the risk.
11 Canadian and 3 American companies.

Here are the companies which are in the ETF–(Horizons Marijuana Life Sciences Index ETF (TSX: HMMJ).

Canopy Growth Corp. (NASDAQOTH:TWMJF): 9.95%

Scotts Miracle-Gro (NYSE:SMG): 9.95%

INSYS Therapeutics (NASDAQ:INSY): 9.95%
Aurora Cannabis: 9.95%
Aphria (NASDAQOTH:APHQF): 9.95%

GW Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:GWPH): 9.89%

Zynerba Pharmaceuticals: 8.45%

Cronos Group: 8.02%

Cannimed Therapeutics: 5.56%

Organigram Holdings: 5.38%

Supreme Pharmaceuticals: 4.70%

Emblem Corp.: 3.79%

Emerald Health Therapeutics: 2.31%

ICC International Cannabis: 2.10%

1 Like

This is an interesting play.

Could the Next Hot Marijuana Stock Be Found in Your Grocery Store’s Produce Aisle?
Greenhouse produce growers have something in greater demand than tomatoes – capacity that could be converted into growing marijuana.

1 Like

I eat Cannabis leaves on a daily bases and buds a couple times a week in smoothies and both mixed with other greens in soups and stews. I think that might be viable in the future of grocery. Could you imagine buying a bundle of Cannabis leaves in Safeway? That would mean the mainstream arrival of Cannabis to the world. :grin:

4 Likes

yes i’m not sure what an ETF is or much about the stock market, but someone asked me previously if they should invest in canopy specifically and i told them to just invest in cannabis. you could make much greater profit just buying a pound than spending 2 grand on some shares. of course i wouldn’t encourage breaking any laws, so, location dependent i guess :slight_smile:

Very interesting…

Medical marijuana in the US could mean big bucks for pot stocks
The company’s CEO, Brendan Kennedy, appeared on CNBC’s “Mad Money” on Tuesday and told host Jim Cramer that cannabis is a “great hedge” for alcohol companies as more countries legalize recreational use of pot.
Kennedy also noted that cannabis is being viewed as a substitute for painkillers and other prescription drugs. So it might make sense for pharmaceutical firms to invest in cannabis.
To that end, Tilray also announced Tuesday that the US Drug Enforcement Administration had approved a plan for Tilray to import a cannabinoid capsule to America.
The drug will be used in a clinical trial at the University of California San Diego for the treatment of essential tremor, a neurological disorder.

4 Likes

…I have heard that both alcohol and tobacco companies in the US have trademarked strain names…hedging for the future.

:evergreen_tree: :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

oh my lord my buddie bought stocks about 2 years back and cashed out a $500 now worth so much more - this is toronto canada

I always regretted not having the money to invest in GW Pharma in the mid-late 00’s.
In hindsight they only doubled in 10 years, thats ~7% compounded general market inde should do 6% so hardly a massive win for a pick.

Energy, Housing, Commodities and bitcoin/cryptos have all done much better in that period.
I think there are some very high valuations flying around and not sure now is the time to buy, yet…

Then again GW pharma was not legal pot it was limited licensed extracts.

1 Like

Short story, nope.

Long story;

I make my own alcohol. Costs me $4.50 per litre (average) a little time and a bit of effort. And it has no additives or preservatives. Comparable price is $55.00 per litre ( been a long time since i purchased from a outlet, so ymmv)

IF i grew my on tobacco, it’d cost me $4.00 for 100 seeds, some time and a little effort to realise about 100 kilograms. Comparable price is $35.00 per 25 grams.

You can extrapolate from here.
That said, the market is speculation.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking at day trading cannabis CFD’s (contracts for difference). You make money on the fluctuating market price. There’s certain times of the day to buy and sell it seems and as it’s a very changeable market at the moment it means there’s good money there by way of comparison to commodities like oil and gold.
Im still very much trying to get an understatement of the market myself and trading 212 as a practice platform is serving me pretty well. Not quite comfortable enough to chance real cash yet.
Smart people invested in British gas years ago. Buying shares at like 50p each. Now they’re minted…just saying

1 Like

I was astonished when I discovered that for a 40$usd gallon of liquor, less than 30+ of that is tax. Am seriously considering the tobacco growing when you put the math out there :smile: :smoking: my nicotine costs are as nauseating as the smoke. :laughing:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

…wasn’t there like a cannabis stock exchange set up in Canada with billions & 10+ companies that had not physical presence months before legalization…? :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Does buying seeds count?

1 Like

10k split between canopy, cronos, and aurora 3 years ago would be worth over 200k today

2 Likes

Hindsight, eh?

$10k invested in lights and equipment 3 years ago could have made $500k by now!

1 Like

Since there are a few cannabis companies being traded in the stock market now, has anyone here invested in any? If so what and why.

1 Like

If you’re Canadian I have a feeling that ship has already sailed. I didn’t ever invest because I hate those companies, but I know lots of people who made quite a bit on various canna stocks… mostly before legalization actually came into effect.

2 Likes