Ascophyllum nodosum kelp talk

What in the hell is ascophylum nodosum bro?

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

@oleskool830

7 Likes

I had to look it up, too. Kelp Extract by some retailer accounts.

Like @Mr.Sparkle added

It’s a kind of brown kelp.

Ascophylum nodosum is a kelp, however not all kelp has the same properties as A.n. it’s considered by some green crack or steroids for plants in general because it’s rich in auxins and many trace minerals. Some fertilizers have it included, if you look up at the so well spoken of MegaCrop fertilizer’s composition. Apart from giving vigorous growth it also makes the plant a bit more pliable :grinning: there are other algae with some great properties but I can’t recall their names right now.

4 Likes

I have heard of Norwegian Kelp. I use a kelp concentrate from Greenleaf Nutrients. Are you familiar with it by chance? I’m a kelp believer and use it at every feeding. Where can one get a hold of said “super kelp” that you speak of? Thanks bro…

2 Likes

Damn I have been collecting the wrong type of kelp of the beach, I have been getting the long flat ribbon type, like in the picture, still seems to work well though. I ran out last week so I will have to wait for a storm and get some more, of the right kind, this time, maybe some each.

7 Likes

Most likely the Greenleaf is the same type of kelp. Most kelp meal is.

5 Likes

There is a invasive European fresh water kelp that is found in small ponds and lakes, it has many of the same benefits and contains no salt which makes collecting and using alot easier, I have a pond full of it across the street and the hoa here loves when I remove some as its choking the pond

9 Likes

Hmmm, sounds like a good business idea. Clean ponds and benefit the landowner, then sell the seaweed to benefit the gardener.

6 Likes

Brilliant! @GMan. I like the way you think! This stuff is all over Texas.

4 Likes

the ones in this pictrue look like laminaria japonica aka kombu algae used to flavour sushi rice . Nori is suppused to have many good properties. There are many brown kelp that have benificial properties. I have heard of Bullwhip too.

5 Likes

sorry if i´m highjacking your post @ReikoX just thought the info could be of use to all forum users

5 Likes

I’ve often thought of doing that as a business as others have and it’s a working model but I have other interests

4 Likes

I figure we must have some of the best stuff here!

4 Likes

I don’t think it gets any better for seaweed, at least that’s something Eh lol.

4 Likes

You guys on the Atlantic ?

3 Likes

Is there even such a thing as the “wrong type of kelp”? I assumed all of it was god’s gift.

4 Likes

Of what I have read, the brown family, specially the ascophylum are the best. Because of the hormones and such. If it’s just minerals then any will do I suppose

2 Likes

Yeh we are in Nova Scotia.

1 Like

I moved this conversation to it’s own thread.

Kelp is one of the fastest growing plants in the ocean. It is also a bio accumulator so it tends to be packed with minerals and growth hormones.

3 Likes