Using raw/fresh kelp/seaweed saltwater

Anyone have experience with this growing cannabis? I know people around here line their gardens with it outside. I have access to buckets of it right off the beach 5 minutes from my house…

I went with FF ocean Forest soil for my first grow. Don’t know a whole lot beyond the basics about nutrients yet… I’m planning on running 3 gallon pots and a 2 x 4 tent

3 Likes

Fresh seaweed is most likely loaded with Na(Sodium), outside this wouldn’t be much of a problem with the rain washing most of the salts away but in a pot idk…

U could try it but I wouldn’t use ur best seeds until u know for sure.

2 Likes

I was thinking ther’d probably be some sort of processing to be done like soaking, dry it out and grind it up or something. I can always look it up online, but I like to ask the people here with the hands on experience

2 Likes

I happen to live right next to a beach and have used seaweed in my grows for years. @Forest_Organic is right, it is pretty salty. You want to rinse your seaweed a few times in a 5g bucket, then fill the bucket with fresh water and an airstone if possible. After 3 days you have a food concentrate. 100ml of the seaweed juice per gallon of water for well established young plants. I have went as far as a cup per gallon for larger plants.

6 Likes

And what’s been your experience using it?

Do you use other nutrients too?

I guess I’m trying to figure out whether to add straight chemicals/nutrients bought from the store or use things like seaweed, eggshells, and maybe some fox farm plant food…

Sounds like I need to get a pH measuring kit and have supplies on hand to help fluctuate the levels.

Second or third grow but first in about 10 years.

I think I’ll grab an air stone and try this out… there’s so many nutrients in the ocean it’d be nice to be able to utilize that living right next to it

2 Likes

I used to harvest and use fresh seaweed! Its an insanely good free fertilizer. But you wanna compost it down with some wood chips or whatever a couple weeks at least before using it. I used to use it in water. Put a half dollar size chunk in a bucket, hit it with a paint stirrer 30 seconds, and the plants absolutely love it. The other badass trick(based on native american methods) is do a thin little layer of seaweed about a foot down in the ground. Ive also done it in pots about 2/3rds down. It was an old full term outdoor grower trick. But man it works WONDERS, especially for how free it is lol

The one caveat, and its a big one. Is the smell. That stuff smells just awful as its composting lol. I used to do it in a tumble composter to speed it up. But even then you gotta wear gloves, and if just a little bit gets on your skin, youre gonna be smelling all kinds of rank for a while. I would never use it for indoor, but in greenhouses or outdoor its killer. Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Yeah man that’s what people do all over town in their flower gardens outside…

I’m gonna go fill a 5 gal and start soaking it today… probably cut it up first and add freshwater. I’m weary of adding it straight to the soil without any sort of processing to break it down and get the salt out

Thanks!!

1 Like

Found this thread too:

I’m thinking of filling up a 5 gall, soaking for 3 days maybe with an aerator, drying, and then grinding.
I don’t know if that will take enough salt out but that’s my starting point. @lotus710

Here goes.

2 Likes

I like the route you’re going with on this, making a seaweed meal/flour. Id base my measurements off a supersoil recipe. maybe replacing alfalfa meal with your homemade seaweed meal.

I’ve read a few articles on just using sea water for fertilizer. I’ll be testing that shortly.

2 Likes

Cool project @spillz907. I’m seriously curious to find out how this works.

1 Like

Do they remove the salt first?

1 Like

All us old crowd in NL have been using foliar applications of salt water to combat bugs for years.

1 Like

From what I read, the sodium wasn’t removed. Nothing special was done to it. It was applied on outdoor crops at a ratio of 100ml to 300ml per square foot every three or four years.

Based on that, I’ll be reusing nutrient depleted soil from past runs on this project. Depending on the results I encounter, will incorporate some liquid humic acid to counter act possible sodium issues.

I ran a crossed a couple nutrient companies out there that sell a condensed form of sea water, I believe both with and without the sodium.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll go out for a pickin this weekend- I’ll cut them up fairly fine after hosing them off and then do a series of soaks before drying… salt is water soluble so it shouldn’t be too hard to get out .

I’ll probably separate the seaweed and actual kelp.

Will follow up with some pictures and eventually effects on the plant.

Appreciate all the tips

2 Likes