Azomite vs rock dusts for soil mineralization and reamendment

Humic acids and certain types of mushrooms can/will bind/lock-up most of the heavy metals not saying that one shouldn’t be mindful of Them kelp is an accumulator plant one of it’s primary purposes is to detoxify the oceans so depending on where it is sourced it can get pretty gnarly

1 Like

Here is some more info about the aluminum found in Azomite.
Check out slownickle’s posts in particular.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the thread that got me thinking about PH of root exudates vs soil PH generally, good stuff there.

4 Likes

That’s why I switched over to basalts

Old coots recommended Basalts in the mix rather than azomite

4 Likes

Same thing with basalt, I also stopped using that, for the same reasons, can also contain heavy metals and it’s an environmental disaster to create it.

Why add mined rock minerals to your soil when trees and plants like alfalfa, dandelion, thistle and nettle already mine minerals for us with their deep roots, all the minerals are right there in the leaves, in the grass, in the weeds, it’s literally in them, there for the taking, and in a form that’s bioavailable.

6 Likes

Azomite has a pH of 8 and bentonite even a pH of 9, so you will never get a higher aluminium content in your plants or soil.

Personally i use lava dust from this German brand.

lavameel-20kg-22140__preview

2 Likes

Asked Al Chat how much to add to your soil.

How much lava rock dust should I add to potting soil in percentage?

The amount of lava rock dust you should add to potting soil depends on several factors, including the type and size of the plants you are growing, the nutrient requirements of the plants, and the quality of the potting soil you are using.

As a general rule of thumb, you can add about 10-20% lava rock dust to potting soil by volume. However, it’s always a good idea to start with a smaller percentage and gradually increase it as needed. This will allow you to observe how your plants respond to the lava rock dust and make adjustments accordingly.

Additionally, it’s important to note that lava rock dust can be high in minerals like iron, calcium, and magnesium, which can be beneficial for some plants, but may not be suitable for others. Therefore, it’s always a good idea to do some research on the nutrient requirements of the specific plants you are growing and consult with a gardening expert if you have any concerns.

1 Like

Hello, I use micronized azomite in all the mixtures of substrates (1-g per liter of substrate) and also as a fixed component of all my Bio Fertilizers. I am very interested in this mineral due to the presence, mostly only traces, that it has of almost all minerals from the periodic table, I believe that plants need them all, I believe that plants are the representation of animated minerals and I also believe that the greater diversity of minerals, even if only a trace, guarantees more evolved plants :man_farmer:

4 Likes