How necessary are trace minerals in “soil”

Built some potting mix recently: peat, perlite, ewc, aged mushroom compost, lime, diatomaceous earth, bio char. Forgot about azomite. Did I fuck up? Should I order some? Would foliar feeding calmag suffice for now?

3 Likes

No worries, you got all of the important stuff.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I made such a mix last year, similarly without rock dust, and had a great success.

Debating asking the granite cutting place for some dust, but not on the priority to-do list.

A cursory internet search tells me granite has a low percentage of dark iron and magnesium minerals. On that note I have no idea from where my plants pick up magnesium, but if you already added lime adding additional calcium might not be the desired course of action.

1 Like

Some crushed Dolomite mixed into your soil is a slow release ‘cal/mag’ maintains minimum levels even through recycling.

I stop there but I have buddies that use Volcanopos and Wollastonite rock dusts as well.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Go grab a handful of dirt from your yard and bam u got trace minerals lol

6 Likes

Not necessarily if your soil in your yard is difficient.

Most food grown now by big Ag is difficient in trace minerals, as it’s depleted from the soil. Trace minerals are important for healthy function of plants and humans. Most hair loss and nail problems in humans is from a lack of trace minerals, some liver, brain, eysight and immune functions are noticably affected from lack of minerals.

Plants may look healthy like humans do when mineral difficient, to a degree, but will not be at their best functioning performance.

Now I wanna grow with moon dirt! Moon soil used to grow plants for first time in breakthrough test

1 Like

Pay close attention to the wording, I say dirt cuz azomite is just rock dust, didn’t say soil cuz soil implies a medium to grow in. In az we got lots of dirt all over, plenty of minerals in it in a pinch

2 Likes