Back at it, need light opinions

So I took a pretty long break from growing for personal reasons, but it’s about that time to get back on it.
Sadly, i sold both of my 135 hlg quantum boards as i needed money but i just set my 4x2 gorilla tent back up.
The lights I’m currently looking at as i have a smaller budget than usual-
The mars hydro sp250
Philizons new linear series ph2000
Or the spider farmer sf2000

I’m not interested in going back to quantum boards at this time. I do have my v1 2288 board still, and could easily put that back together with the purchase of a heat sink and driver but I’m gonna save that for a side grow. The main thing I’m looking for is 1 single light being able to cover my 4x2 and at under $300. I currently have an hlg 65 for veg so whatever I grab will be used on late veg through flower.

Thanks ahead, and it’s good to be back :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have a mars tsl2000 in a 2x4 and am pleased with it. It’s less than $300USD

2 Likes

The reason I was looking into the sp250 was for the heavier heatsink than the TS line. I’m in florida so it gets hot in my spot, so I need something as low heat as possible and I did hear some people had issues with that specific build giving off more heat

2 Likes

They are like the exact same price tho. What’s the light like? Full spectrum white or mostly blurple? When I saw the review on the sp250 it was mostly blurple so that’s a turn off

The sp250 probably runs slightly cooler but I wouldn’t think by much. Slightly more efficient.

The tsl is white light. I don’t care for blurple either but I use one as my veg light.

I think you could make a reasonable argument for either the ts or the sp. Personal preference.

1 Like

We had tested the sp-250, check it out here:

It is a decent fixture. Compared to the other Mars fixtures, this has rigid mechanical quality. Depending on your room size, you may want more than one. Probably good enough for the 4x2.

The spectrum is not the “blurple” we would usually think about, it’s more or less white to our eyes:

Chromaticity 3750K:

5 Likes

When I was last growing I had 2 135w kit hlg 288 boards running at about 130watts each so not full power, and my tent would stay around a steady 85-87 with my 6 inch vivosun exhaust running at full power and 2 fans in the tent. It was just a little too hot for me . If I could keep it around 80-83 with the sp-250, honestly I’d be sold.

@Foreigner what’s your average temp during the middle of the day with the TS? I know our climate are different but I’m curious. I peeked some of your photos and it does fit my needs in coverage for sure

3 Likes

As long as I can avoid buying 2 lights, and keep up at the minimum a 1.2gpw grow with as little heat distribution as possible, I’ll be happy.

Mars has a warranty and return policy correct?
So if I was to go with the TS and find out it’s a little to hot for my liking I could always return it and grab the SP I’m assuming

1 Like

Their warranty and return policy is sketchy at best. Be sure to buy from them direct from them if you plan on any warranty issues.

4 Likes

The temperature difference at light level is +/- 2C higher than ambient.

The room routinely hits 28C on sunny days.

If I had one complaint it’s that the light itself gets hotter than I’d like.

Edit: I run a 4” inline fan at the lowest setting for these numbers

2 Likes

Yeah I was gonna go directly to them for whatever I decide. at first I was tempted to go COB but filling a 4x2 with cobs is gonna be more pricey than I’d like at the current time.

@Foreigner how long have you had your light for ?

2 Likes

Halfway through the second run

How were the results?
How many plants, harvest weight, foxtailing? Ect.

~10 oz. 3 large plants. Foxtailing on one but I expect it’s the strain.

That’s not bad at all. I’m planning on sticking with 2 plants in 5 gallon smart pots. I’d typically pull about 5 to 6 oz. Off a single plant with the HLGs . Im not expecting that exact outcome but anything close sounds good.

Anyone have a full grow under the SP250?

1 Like

It seems like the only difference between the 2 is the heat sink and the UV/ IR use in the sp250.
It does say the tsl pulls 300 watts? The sp250 is only 240 so I’m curious if that’s a true wattage on the TSL

I’d grab another HLG light or three, especially if you can DIY. I just built a 480w QB288 v1 light for about $350. You would be fine with half that.

You may already be doing this but make sure you mount drivers out of your tent if you battle high temps.

3 Likes

The only issue with that is most of the slates and boards are sold out . I could definitely get by with a XL 260, but getting all the peices is gonna still run me about 260ish . I did love my QBs but in comparison to my first light ( which was a cheap meihzi) it didnt really out preform it for the cost.

But with what you just said, it made me think. The sp250 has a driver I could easily take off the light and move to outside of the tent. the tsl is all prebuilt inside.

Hmm, thanks for that didnt even think about it

Ah nvm now that I look into it, the tsl does also have the drivers on the top. Didnt notice that earlier