Beer and wine makers- soil amendments

Hey guys, I have been looking to get rice hulls. The only place I can really find them are at places that sell beer making supplies.

I was thinking, what else do they have that I can use in my soil mix? Example diatomaceous earth is fantastic for pest control and adding silica.

What are some things that you guys have used?

Here is the website I was thinking of buying from. Appreciate any insight you guys have.

6 Likes

If you are making living soil here is one idea. Clackamas coot explains what malted grain will do fo your soil. I also use it in my worm bin and compost.

6 Likes

Thanks! I’ll definitely check it out.

It really depends on what kind of grape your growing. Takes 5 seasons to reach a vintable age. So choose wisely.

for ordering soil amendments on line check out build a soil .com and kis organics peace

From the brew store I have used rice hulls, malted barley, citric acid (pH down), and potassium bicarbonate (pH up).

2 Likes

That’s where I got my rice hulls at I bought a 50lb bag for right at 50$ IIRCC more than I wanted to pay for it but still have like a 1/4 bag left and Iv amended d quit a bit of soil last couple years … maybe try a grain and feed store that will be my next option for my next bag I might be able to get it for 1/2 or < than the brew store … the brew shop did look at me kinda of funny for wanting that much cause a typical batch would call for 2lbs or less in 5 gallons or so.

1 Like

The last time I went to the brew store i got to teach the gentleman helping me all about living soil. He is actually growing his own medicine, so he was super interested. It’s his first year, so he was happy to learn some new tricks about organics.

It always funny when they ask what type of malted grain I want, and I tell them I don’t care, the cheapest. It’s going in my soil the look on their face is priceless.

2 Likes

I was looking into this seller. Seems a good choice if you need bulk. Not so much for small amounts.

pfft ‘out of stock’ atm

2 Likes

I have bought 5 and 10 lbs at a time and they will take an order for a bale they said. “Just need a weeks notice” (local beer supply)

1 Like

Yup that’s what they had to do for me they dont carry a lot and I would of wiped their stock out completely! Go big or go home! Lol

3 Likes

That is the power of being the consumer. As long as you get what you got, let the store worry about replenishing.

Thank you! That’s exactly the type of shit I was looking for.

I went shopping!

roots organic- original soil blend.

I ran out of money so didn’t get any malted barley.
I am wishing I could have gotten Mycorrhiza… it was for $20. I wasn’t sure if it was higher priority than the other ingredients I bought. Particularly because I use a fair amount of potassium rich mushroom compost.