Bodhi Guide - Seed and Strain Discussion (Part 1)

I was gifted two lil baby bodhi plants today. Anyone know anything about this cross? Looks like Vintage Hawaiian x Purple Unicorn? Maybe? The gifter said it was a white widow cross
 I guess I need to do some research.

27 Likes

BODHI is an awesome person and an amazing breeder, i have a lot of his work in house. wish i knew how to get in contact with him these days.

very nice 

16 Likes

Right, but seeing as how “f1” is sort of the accepted nomenclature for the first generation of any hybrid in the cannabis community at this point, no matter what the parents are, I’ll just keep referring to them as “f1’s” to avoid confusion. There’s enough of that already.

Look at the crosses. Look at the genetics. That’ll tell you the “state of the art.”

9 Likes

I’ll see your statement and raise you haha. I like not knowing what’s gonna happen and how things are gonna smoke from plant to plant. I don’t want to grow a pack of seeds that are all gonna grow exactly the same and smoke exactly the same. That doesn’t seem fun to me at all. And fun is all I care about haha. I like the not knowing.

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds,” and all that. I realize that quote doesn’t really apply in regards to somebody stabilizing a line haha; I wouldn’t call real, actual breeding “foolish” at all. But the quote did pop into my head, so I quoted it haha.

Still, I like the hunt. It’s fun.

19 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but for me, I’m hunting certain effects. I’d appreciate being able to find what I’m looking for easily. I’d pay good money if someone stabilized the “trip weed” effect. Once I find a plant that has something I’m looking for, I’ll be keeping it around for a while. I’ll still pop different seeds though, just because I love weed and it’s good to switch things up. Making seeds and popping those is fun too. And my comment was more about spending literal years breeding and stabilizing something and not doing it for effect. I feel like stabilizing for uniformity in other areas is more of a novelty than anything. Unless someone is trying to stabilize a strain so that Inuits can grow weed in the ice or something.

12 Likes

it was also the accepted nomenclature over a hundred years ago :wink:

10 Likes

Bodhi stuff has the best effects ive had.

8 Likes

It tells me jack shit about his methods which is what I was asking about. Thisis the ‘breeders lab’ not ‘Bohdi Fanbois’ right?

3 Likes

For someone talking about fanbois
 you sure are acting like a stan. It wouldn’t be too hard to actually look this stuff up. I have a suspicion you dont really want to know though and you’d just like to hate on bodhi in this thread but do it in a way where if someone says something, you an easily come back with some way out.

Heres a good intro

7 Likes

If the effects are the most important clone everything. This will be way more consistent for you

6 Likes

Um yeah cept where’s the hate? I haven’t said a single thing anti Bohdi. Just people who don’t know shit getting all defensive because they obviously don’t know shit.
Don’t need seeds we got clones?
Every cross is an F1? That’s some kind of joke right?

Thank for the video but this is OG not YouTube.

1 Like

The answer you seek is in the video.

7 Likes

Thanks I’ll check it out. Information was all I was after🙏

1 Like

I never said we don’t need seeds because we have clones. I said we don’t need uniformity in a seedline because people generally keep clones of plants they like. They usually keep the clones because there’s something special about the effect. I’m sure some are kept for the smell or taste too, but you don’t often get the exact same nuanced effect from different plants of the same line. That’s why people keep clones that might herm. Because the high is worth dealing with it. They may grow similar, smell similar, taste similar, yield similar, but one might have something in the effect that makes it stand out more than the others, “uniformity” be damned. You still need seeds to find that stand out plant though. You’re putting too much stock in this “IBL’s for uniform F1’s” thing. It’s really not that big a deal and def not something that everyone should have to strive for IMO. Unless we’re talking about effect, of course. But that’s just my opinion. I think people who breed for taste, smell, or bag appeal should start mixing vape juice instead. I’ve smoked plenty of stuff that was bred for those things that had boring highs that last 30 minutes. And making IBL’s doesn’t guarantee that the buzz of the cross will be any good if you’re not also breeding for effect.

10 Likes

At 1:02:08 Bodhi talks about this exact thing I.e selecting inbred lines because they are more uniform,
which of course extends to effect
something is either uniform or it’s not. I personally select based on effect as one of the attributes, but only one attribute albeit with more weight than some others. Way I see it is that to get a consistent effect, you pretty much need consistent everything.

It sounds like his preference is to work with heirloom lines where possible because they are more stable; and for crosses with so called ‘elite clones’. Then as you say phenotype variations are not a bug but a feature. He acknowledges that he works with poly hybrid elite clones and puts his spin on it because that’s where the market is. Fair enough that’s what I was trying to find out.

12 Likes

I try to write as the condition easier, because complex sentences of Google The translator is greatly distorted 
 even to the complete opposite of the initial content. So sorry if something is not clear.

In my opinion, Bodhi works with individual lines (directions or vectors) depending on what the end user is looking for.
As you can see from the total mass of its supply, there are certain directions, such as DLA.

The general and probably most popular work, as you said, is reduced to the “elite clone” crossed with a recessive father.
The end user will look for the name of the “elite clone” what he wants to try, because if you conditionally call this cross F1, then he will predictably have most plants similar to his mother (clone), much less common features, and very little parent ( recessive).

The DLA line is conducting other work and referring to it not inverted plants that have stable characteristics due to selection in many generations, but are used by Landrais, which have much more genetic diversity but more or less stabilized due to many years of growth in one geographical place (I do not know, there may be additional breeding in generations from Bodhi).

Most do not even understand the difference between IBL and Landrais or say between F1 and IX1 and I do not say that it is bad. They just don’t need it.
Depending on what end result it is looking for. Someone needs as close as possible to the “elite clone” - and he has it, and someone needs seeds close to the “base” for further breeding - and he also has it 

18 Likes

One glance at a list of his available (and unavailable) seeds on any seed bank website woulda told you that. Which is why I said:

6 Likes

Methods bro, not ingredients, it ought not be a complex concept.

Whether the outcrossing comes from a polyhybrid or not, the 1st pairing will be an F1
As for phenotypical expressions
 you will still find varying results within any F1, whether they are land race selections or polyhybrids. The matchup of 2 separate donors by itself creates this opportunity.!!!

I hope this new direction you have taken produces some hits mr bodhi barndanceâ€ŠđŸ«Ą

7 Likes

I get what he’s saying. From a horticultural standpoint, there aren’t any real F1 crosses in cannabis. We don’t have true inbred lines, heirlooms, that produce the same plant seed after seed, generation after generation. We have variation, constantly. To be fair, the plant is an obligate outcrosser so it would be significantly more difficult to achieve, but the fact remains. Since there are no true homozygous lines, you cannot have true F1 crosses. Tony’s work is probably the closest I’ve seen in modern times but it’s technically still not there yet and even if it was, he’s only done half the work. True F1 would require the other parent plant in the cross to also be a RIL at the minimum. Even then, the RIL doesn’t produce like a burpee IBL would.

20 Likes