Bodhi Guide - Seed and Strain Discussion (Part 1)

With regards to the Cuts vs Seeds debate.
I see the point of getting cuts to people and the likely good being much higher that they’ll grow them out, where as seeds can be horded and never popped. I know I have a collection of beans that will take me some time to get through. And I only started this current collection 2 month ago.

But again, as id said above, the cuts can’t be sent worldwide, so this then makes it a US only thing on OG. Which I know there are plenty of country specific giveaways and offers on here, but the point of OG is to Over Grow the World.

And of course, as Bodhi would say “Plant More Seeds.”

:v:

13 Likes

I mean Bodhi was/is selling seeds, so that’s what he’s going to say. Haha

3 Likes

Agree with a good amount of your post even though I’m in the seed popping minority. It’s the process and path of exploration that’s most fun to me. Always end up getting bored after a few runs of a clone and want to explore something new no matter how good it is. Hope my posts don’t come off too negative, just enjoy the discussion and have been messing around a lot with the ssdd & crosses lately so the interest is even higher.

I think there’s a lot of value in the message ‘plant more seeds’ though and it really does keep things interesting when new stuff is being grown out. Still though even with cuttings it will be more interesting than whatever happens to be floating around on Strainly currently and may even provide some medicinal relief for someone out there. Whatever you end up doing will result in more plants being grown out and will be awesome in my eyes. Also in case you didn’t know you could use polls as well to feel out community opinions. Not my genetics being offered out so I don’t want to do it but here’s an example

Which would you rather try
  • Devil’s Hashplant (Diablo OG x 88g13)
  • Spirit Hashplant (Ghost OG x 88g13)

0 voters

Here’s some Bodhi shots from today as well. Tent has been in the high 90s and they’re a bit rootbound. Excuse the dog hair as well :upside_down_face:

Chem 91 skunk VA x SSDD

Lavender Jack

Herer Hashplant

Triple Sunshine A (tk x SSDD)

Triple Sunshine C (tk x SSDD)

Sunshine Daydream F1 - bubbashine pheno

43 Likes

The vote train for Devils Hashplant has ended.

8 Likes

You ever run one of these out before? I bet there’s some great stuff in those seeds…

10 Likes

Only 1 plant and wasn’t a fan of what I now understand to be Jack smell (terpineolene). Was very sweet smelling and not much else. I know it’s a superficial complaint but it’s my hangup with it.

@nube has a really nice and in depth review of his pack here though

21 Likes

Absolutely and the same here. I love a good discussion! I think its important to consider all sides when making a decision. I am not strongly for or against any particular option so I love just brainstorming things out and hearing folks opinions.

13 Likes

@The_Lazy_Hippie i gotta say personally I love the idea of the futuristic way to send and share proven cuts. I feel like the cut sharing culture that used to exist on OG and in person has been decimated due to the pests and pathogens that it spread, so if there’s a way to bypass that and participate in that clone sharing community without risking whatever other seed work you might have already done or plan on doing in your own garden I’d be 100% for it. It’d be so cool to be able to discuss cuts and traits amongst other growers with a totally object baseline for description like that

11 Likes

:eyes::fire:

13 Likes

I had to read through this thread to catch up on what you are proposing. It’s a cool idea.

I’m a craft cultivator who basically does exactly what you are proposing. Since I have been there done that, Im going to try to give some feedback.

1. Tissue culture takes months for meristem and/or shoot propagation. This makes coordination difficult. You will have people commit up front, but will pull out 8 months later when your cuts are hardened. Its a timing thing, most people dont know how crazy life can be in 8 months.

Cloning from a healthy mother plant only takes 1-2 weeks, hardening procedures are easy, plants are much more hardy. You are also looking at $100-150 in materials and labor per plant to put into TC, and then $30-40/month per cut for storage.

1. Plan on having an actual mom room for cuts that you send out. TC is for making new moms and long term storage. Growers without experience hardening TC plants will kill TC plants. Unless you want to do all the hardening yourself, then might as well mom the TC plants out and send off cuts instead.

2. Good idea, TC is great for backups and storage.

3. I dont like that idea much, if you are going to be selecting males based on how females looked/performed (matching game), then you might as well kill all males and re pop when you are ready to do the male selection.

Better idea would be to grow males and females side by side, take cuts from each plant to store in TC (or a basic mom room would be just fine for this), grow out females and select, collect pollen from all males. Hit keeper females and true breeding cuts with pollen from males, track the crosses, pop the seeds, determine which males work the best, then bring that male out of TC for more work. Kill the rest of them unless more than one stands out.

1. Theres your F2!

This is actually exactly what Im am doing right now. I just outsource the TC work for now because I dont have time, but we are building our own little storage TC lab for fun. Its basically just a laminar flow hood, couple racks with LEDs, autoclave, etc. Its more for cleaning genetics and storage, not mass propagating cuts.

I have 16 SSDD plants in flower now long with lots of other hybrids. If you want me to save you some of the work, I can just send whoever the best 4-5 cuts after re veg.

37 Likes

I tested goji b cut and Nepali og x g13hp back in the day…I found some nice stuff in those, but also kept cuts for a awhile and did some f2 seeds… I’m happy that the goji razz x g13hp hit the market! Should be some awesome gear in there! One of the Nepali og x g13hp I had tested hit 34% TAC

20 Likes

More people just need to hunt, document, repro, and share cuts. Mom the keepers out, take cuts, put into water bottles or vaccum bag, send out when weather is cool.

Pathogens are less of an issue now that we are aware of them and know how to fight them. Regardless of TC vs clone, proper quarantine procedures should ALWAYS be followed when taking in cuts. Take them in without roots, wash them off, quarantine, easy peasy.

Seeds can cross borders, can travel on planes, can sit in a fridge for 20 years and still be viable. I think more focus needs to be had on male selection and refining populations, not open pollination where we reinforce unwanted feral traits.

29 Likes

Nepali OG x 88g13hp is known as Kalifornia, buddy of mine just sent over some Kalifornia F2s to look through. They also report some crazy high THC keepers from their pops.

23 Likes

This :100:
Finding good stable males that reliably pass what you want is hard but that’s where most of the great lines came from. Not just using whatever male pops out all willy nilly.

Took Bodhi years to find that other SSDD male
Took BOG years to find that Sour Bubble male to make Sour Bubble F2’s
Took Nevil years to find the Haze A/B/C
etc…

26 Likes

I highly recommend running through them. I still have a pack of the original Bodhi sent me for testing and reporting, but in the f2’s I found some gems!

12 Likes

Him got big brain.

big-brain-meme

10 Likes

You’re the epitome of Pay It Forward, so thanks for all you do. :pray: When you get there, if it’s SSDD you end up choosing for the run, I’ll join the fun with my two packs. :+1:

My experience is different than both of yours, so I’m going to have to agree with @SonsOfAvery on this one. I ran a couple clones recently that another member also ran. We both ran them with essentially the same organic soil recipe in City Pickers under strip LEDs, and then he also ran them separately in coco with salts. Our experience was so different throughout flower that I swore I had mixed up the clones. It turns out I hadn’t - flower morphology at the end was similar enough to see they were the same - but the flavors/smells/highs and looks are way different. The clones were Giesel and Bunktek Sour D.

:man_shrugging:

Why not both? I think some subset of the people involved in this crowdsourced run should also make F2 as well. But probably only trusted folks who have experience and know how to do it. I’m not volunteering, but I’d prolly do it anyway cuz that’s how I am. :wink: But there’s a whole side of the community here who can’t get the cuts, and I wouldn’t want them to be completely left out of the fun. Like @SonsOfAvery already said. :hugs:

That housewife pheno was the best.

Recently I tried some straight Jack Herer grown by a well known member here and, while it was good and I’m definitely not saying anything bad about them or their grow, the housewife Herer HP pheno in the pics above was light years better - much more potent, much more UP and a longer duration high, much brighter Jack terps, and that Jack terpinolene mango almost sharpie flavor for days. I don’t like to look backwards very much, but that Herer HP #4 was one of the top five most potent I’ve ever grown, and I wish I hadn’t lost it due to crazy landlord issues. Oh well. :slight_smile: But, that plant is one of the reasons why I like bodhi’s now retired 88g13hp male so much - he usually lets the mom shine through while improving every aspect of it. You just have to hunt a pack or two to find something special.

:sun_with_face: :rainbow:
:peace_symbol:

37 Likes

This is awesome to know, as I have crosses with other paternal lines from Bodhi like OMG, Strawberry Milk, SSDD, and Wookie.

But the majority of my collection of bodhi packs are definitely 88G13HP crosses.

I got a few cuts to keep as mothers not long ago so while I’m waiting on the moms to get bigger to take a few cuts of each, I’ll pop a pack of bodhi to veg a little bit to be ready to flip alongside that first round of rooted clones as I have the space to run both and it would be fun to have 3 flavors going as my area is a bit limited selection wise even in the dispensaries here.

:seedling::v:

13 Likes

The plant is basically a physical expression of its genetic code. Expression of that DNA is going to be very dependent on environmental factors. It is how the plant “decides” how to respond to a given environmental stimuli.

Assuming we are indoor and have control over our environment and feed, the biggest variables we will be influencing will be:

Transpiration
Photosynthesis rate
Metabolism
Nutrient uptake

Each plant requires different values for its absolute best expression.

You manipulate those with all the tools you have available. Temp, RH, DLI, VWC, ECpw, CO2, drydown rates, etc. The extent that things can be pushed depends on how tolerant a strain is to stress.

Sour is one of those absolutely finicky plants that needs perfection to express properly. One of those plants that was renamed and fought over because we just didn’t know how this worked back then. Turns out all these different plants are the same cut grown in different environments.

Which did you like more? Organic or salts?

I find that salts often overfeeds, organic is prone to underfeeding.

Also yeah 88g13hp is the bomb.

I ran TK x Dragon Energy and Black Triangle x Dragon Energy side by side during a hunt. The DE male is very dominant. The TK was totally drowned out, lots of resin but not much smell or taste. Black Triangle came through in the cross with a ton of incredible expressions.

I have also had so-so luck with other TK crosses. Seems to lose its profile in exchange for resin and density/size.

I have a hunch that 88g13hp may help pull mom traits forward in breeding projects, so my next hunt is focusing on finding awesome OG x 88g13hp phenos.

24 Likes

I’m liking Triple Sunshine a lot more than anything I encountered in a pack of Black Triangle.

That’s my fall project as well, but low numbers sadly. The few OG x 88g13hp crosses I’ve tried have been really nice (Redeye Jedi & Devil’s HP).

Redeye Jedi - Skywalker
Secret Chief - SFV
Devil’s HP - Diablo
Spirit HP - Ghost

21 Likes