Bodhi Spirit Train- Trainwreck Pheno Hunt

2 week update

17 Likes

Theyve gotten a low fert dose and some recharge since emerging. They seem to be starting to take off. Even the one I expected to lose is looking a lot better. You can see the stem is getting stronger compared to a few days ago.

Some cool serrations on most of the leaves

20 Likes

Hard to say. Arcata Trainwreck is a mexican sativa, purportedly the best pheno from seeds found in a high quality batch of lightly seeded import brick weed. Hard to say whether it was genetically a pure mexican sativa, or a cartel hybrid. I’d guess a hybrid that leaned towards the original local mexican genetics.

The terp profile is pure limonene, almost nothing going on except for copious production of that single terpene.

The people who get the most medicinal benefit from this strain are people with heavy duty ADHD, and it really does calm these people down and help them focus.
For most people it has the effect of a strong sativa.

I grew the arcata trainwreck when I lived in the bay area, it wasn’t great for my medicinal needs at the time but my friends loved it.

12 Likes

Hope you get some useful stuff. I do think that trainwreck was circulated in spain based on some european freebie seeds I popped. Look for that limonene production as your cue for whether or not the genetics are genuine.

I’ve always been a little skeptical of european breeders claiming to have access to bay area genetics. Not impossible, but a lot less likely, and much higher possibility of a cut being mislabeled or misattributed because they would have no basis of comparison to the genuine article.

There is definitely a lot of “blue dream” genetics sold by spanish and european breeders which are definitely not related to blue dream. Same for OG and cookies.

What I would consider genuine og may actually be extinct at this point, due to the higher yields and similar-ish smells offered by both european copies, and domestic hybrids. Real OG had very very small buds, the size of a raspberry or smaller, with intense resin production of layers of tiny resin crystals, not the large capitated trichome glands you see on “og” genetics now, and a heavy fuel skunky loud smell, not the sweet smell people describe as og now.

It had unusual rustic growth characteristics which really only made sense for the outdoor growers in the bay and emerald triangle, and inland deserts. The lanky internode distance and small buds produced well for the socal desert growers who had good full sunlight, the small buds were easy to trim and dried quickly for a quick commercial sale. These traits of small dense buds and lanky internode spacing also worked well for the emerald triangle and bay area growers whose plants were exposed to constant coastal fog and fog drip.

13 Likes

@newb2.0 really excited to see how these turn out for you. I have a tester pack of trainwreck x 88g13p which was sent by mistake, but bodhi told me to hold on to them to grow next tine I needed some sinsemilla.
I haven’t had great luck with trainwreck or hybrids for my medicinal use, but I will definitely pop these some day when I’m feeling nostalgic for the older bay area genetics.

13 Likes

21 days since these seeds hit the dirt. The one I thought id lose bc of the weak stem ia now standing up on its own- the short one front & center. Just cruising along right now without any problems. Thinking before next weekend they’ll be jumping up into 1 gals.

23 Likes

Looking great so far! :grinning:

4 Likes

loving me my Slippery Rails which is Trainwreck Arcata cut x Banana Kush f9 (JAWS)

11 Likes

I think you should have no problem finding a nice Trainwreck lady (maybe with sturdier stems haha).

6 Likes

4 weeks sice seeds hit dirt.

17 Likes

Fertilized Monday night and gave them some room away from the light. Once they get about this tall, plants in this cabinet tend to start looking a little stressed. After just a day, they stretched out a little bit, which is good since I’ll be taking cuttings real soon.

23 Likes

Interesting that 1/2 of them are shorter, and the other 1/2 are taller but all about the same height…

17 Likes

Watching patiently! Can’t wait to here how this goes, I have a pack myself. I love that Trainwreck smell. It’s indescribable and unmistakable! I always thought Trainwreck might have been one of the parents or grandparents to the old time piff.

8 Likes

Welcome to OG @Gacho

We would love to follow along if you ever decide to go on a pheno hunt on the Spirit Train.

5 Likes

Glad to have ya here Gacho! Not much going on w this grow given theyre in veg, ive been procrastinating upsizing the pots and taking cuttings, and my flower room is a bit backed up right now…

BUT- I do plan to pot into 1 gals today and take these cuttings so no more procrastinating on my part!

@Gacho- when do you plan to pop your spirit train?

10 Likes

This is gonna be a nice one

5 Likes

Looks good healthy plants. I ended up getting a few trainwreck cuts if you ever want one :slight_smile:
Theyre flowering now .

7 Likes

Awesome! Any idea if they’re the real deal? 1st time flowering them? Keep me posted on how they turn out, if they seem like the real thing I’d take you up on the cut for sure!

5 Likes

Theyre from green house seeds. Its an S1 of the trainwreck Arcata cut . Its the real deal. Im about 3 weeks in so far.

7 Likes

I’m not sure, I’m in an illegal state and just moved. I was growing outdoors guerrilla style, but am now trying to get an indoor setup going. Hopefully before the end of the year!

3 Likes