Bodhi Spirit Train- Trainwreck Pheno Hunt

You cant really call an s1 the real deal. I have grown out so many s1s of elite cuts that dont represent the cut at all.

2 Likes

No one said that it was . You may want to read our complete conversation before …
I’ve never had a s1 that didn’t closely resemble it’s mom. But then that goes into who bred it.

3 Likes

I did read the whole conversation. Not trying to argue with you either. I was simply adding to the conversation. No reason to get defensive.

4 Likes

Up potted into 1 gal nursery pots & fabric pots. Was messing w the 2 switches on my blurple veg light to see what took better pics…

Just close ups of a couple minor things going on w 1 plant’s leaves. More so me just playing w how to take better pics.

Am also going to give it a couple days til I take cuttings since I just transplanted.

13 Likes

I would be looking for a sativa leaning version of the Cal-Train Wreck IBL. But again it’s an S1. So how they gonna sell an IBL as an S1? All those years growing to stabilize just to S1 it and bottleneck the genetics…
I read though all the Steve Tuck history yesterday and I went through all the companies offering trainwreck too.
Oh and btw… trainwreckseeds.com is for available to rent.

6 Likes

I dont really understand this statement at all. There is no breading involved in a s1. That would be the first generation of a selfed plant. So, take an elite clone, spray it and get seeds from it. No selection involved at all.

5 Likes

But in this case, sounds like @Hugh_Glass received some cuts from someone who may have selected from the S1 gen. And maybe that cutting in and of itself is more of a truer representation of the cutting than what was found in the rest of the pack. Just speculating and doesnt address the opinion that selfing isn’t breeding. Staying on the sidelines for that one gents. Either way, I am interested to hear other’s experiences w S1 trainwreck or how it shows up in crosses…

3 Likes

My point is that selfing a elite clone is not breeding. There is no selecting happening in the first gen of self which is what a s1 is. In my opinion, no matter who selfs say a cut of TK. Its going to result in the same seed stock. Now, some people have better selfing techniques that may result in more viable seeds or more total seeds. But, its still the same cut reversed. Not saying breeders who breed fems are not breeders. Just that the s1 gen has no selection going on.

4 Likes

JAWS who has the Arcata cut of the Trainwreck said my plants of his Slippery Rails (Trainwreck x Banana Kush f9) were Trainwreck leaners
here they are so you can compare

young plant without topping

topped once

growing outside now

very different from any plants I have grown before

24 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Very nice looking plants!

4 Likes

Any idea where @bodhi sourced the TrainWreck used in his Spirit Train?

3 Likes

I know you posted it a bit ago, but the comment on wanting to find more seeds to pop after the TW all sprouted made me LAUGH! I’M THE SAME WAY! HEHE, IDK what you’d call it, boredom works cuz its like I need more excitement than what the little ones are currently doing! And if I DO pop more then its usually in poor choice because, as you also said, SPACE becomes an issue and ALL THAT FORESIGHT AND PLANNING was for naught!

I havent read past that quote so I apologize if this older quote is outa context now! Gonna finish up now

3 Likes

Hahaha, still very relevant! During transplanting yesterday, if I ended up w 3 gals of leftover soil, a mephisto northern cheese haze wouldve hit the dirt. I only had about 1.5 gals, so thats good.

My seedling/clone cabinet is empty and the light is off. At least 3 or 4 times ive had to stop myself from popping some new shit. Its the space LATER that is the problem. The extra space now is what’s pushing this urge to drop more seeds! I’m gonna stand strong.

I even started a post yesterday about popping more seeds and deleted it before I posted…

4 Likes

Ive always just assumed it was the Arcata cut. Bodhi seems to have that sort of access to strains but I have not been able to confirm.

Is @bodhi on the forum?

4 Likes

Hahaha, yup, brother, I get that! I celebrate diversity in almost every walk of my life!

3 Likes

We arent arguing ? Were having a conversation . I am defensive because you attacked what I said. Our conversation has been going on for months . Your one quote was the end of our conversation about gh seeds.
S1 resemble the mother so well because it the only gene available in the pool. Ive grown probably 5 thousands of dollars of worth of s1 . Ill say this again . Ive never had a S1 that didnt closely resemble the mother plant. Some better some worse none that didnt come close like you stated.
Clones are bred , just because some selfed that cut doesnt mean the clone wasnt bred. Breeder cuts that are s1 are bred.

2 Likes

S1 refers to the first filial generation of a selfed plant. I dont really no how anyone could influence the outcome of a selfed plant in the first generation. Selective breeding would occur after the s1 generation. I didnt attack your statement. I was just pointing out my experience with s1 seeds. You open up a lot of recessive traits when you self a plant. In my experience, and many others experiences a pack of s1 fem seeds have a great deal of variation between them. Hence why breeders take them to further generations to find the best representation of ehat they were trying to achieve. Tony green has talked about this in his threads.

6 Likes

Well from what ive gathered the cut your refering to was initially bred by Steve Tuck. He introduced the Afgani into the Highland Thai/Mexican. Although I have read that the Mexican part had Colombian in it. Anyways the original strain was the Thai and Mexican and had been grown in Humboldt for quite awhile before the hillside trainwreck grow happened. So to reintroduce the afgani wouldnt be that hard to do if you had the orginal IBL still. But I have heard negative things said about the seeds Steve has sold since all that happened. So I wouldnt think bohdi would of got it from him but you never know.
Edit.
Now that’s got me thinking. He does have incredible access to strain you and me would never get. If it were me i would of used his Kashmir #22 male on the original IBL.
But in the description it specifically lists Kashmir×TW as the cross so this is probably unlikely.

3 Likes

Prior to the plant being selfed is how you influence breeding traits. When a person buys a breeder’s cut . One that he or she has worked on for years and selfs it . The cut will be stable from years of breeding. Same instance when its back crossed from using female pollen. A breeder takes their s1 /2 ect female pollen and double downs on the selected traits.
Alls youre left with is the dna from its self. It will be very stable.
You cant influence the s1 , that was my point only prior to . Your not going to get a radically different plant in a s1 . Pheno variation and a completely different plant are two totally different things.
I dont buy random plants slapped together. Every S1 I have started life as a bred plant .

1 Like

You incorrect in your assessment. A little research on the subject would prove it.