Cannabis vs Covid-19 / Coronavirus šŸ§¬

2 Likes

Cannabis shows promise blocking coronavirus infection: Alberta researcher

https://calgaryherald.com/cannabis/cannabis-shows-promise-blocking-coronavirus-infection-alberta-researcher/

Cannabis extracts are showing potential in making people more resistant to the novel coronavirus, says an Alberta researcher leading a study.

After sifting through 400 cannabis strains, researchers at the University of Lethbridge are concentrating on about a dozen that show promising results in ensuring less fertile ground for the potentially lethal virus to take root, said biological scientist Dr. Igor Kovalchuk.

6 Likes

very, very hungry & thirsty. :joy:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

I been smoking weed for almost 60 years now. It must work. I havenā€™t gotten the coronavirus. Gonna skip the bleach though. hahaha

6 Likes

Cannabis shows promise blocking coronavirus infection: Alberta researcher

https://flip.it/CTXWf4
This is interesting.

7 Likes

I also heard roumer that tobacco may also help but dont know if i should believe either, getting stoned either way.

4 Likes

Heard that as well, even though at one point media was saying smoking/vaping would make you more susceptible to it. Either way now I have an excuse to smoke more bud :grinning:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been stoned the entire time and I donā€™t have Coronavirus. According to my research, with a sample size of 1, Cannabis is 100% effective haha.

14 Likes

I guess we should make cannabis available for free to everyone, to achieve a larger sample population.

For science :wink:

10 Likes

I wonder what strain/cultivar they are using for this study?

4 Likes

Paint me just a tad skeptical.

Quotes from the article:
Kovalchuk, whose Pathway RX is owned partly by Olds-based licensed cannabis producer Sundial Growers and partnered with Alberta cannabis researcher Swysh.

The study under Health Canada licence using artificial human 3-D tissue models

But the absence of clinical trials remains a barrier, and funding from an increasingly cash-strapped cannabis industry isnā€™t there to fuel that, said Kovalchuk.

This ā€˜researcherā€™ owns a cannabis ā€œpharmacyā€, and his study is based on computer generated models of artificial ā€œhuman tissueā€.

So this is not even a sample size of ONE! LOL :slight_smile:

14 Likes

@anon32470837 that a degree of skepticism is warranted. On the flipside , in todayā€™s age most things start as a model. If that is successful due course should proceed. What I do think is that even if this is proven accurate big brother does not want you or I to treat, free of charge, a therapeutic product. I also wonder who may own the rights to these " dozen strains".

3 Likes

I have came to the same conclusion

3 Likes

I AM INVINCIBLE! I smoke enough of both to save the world, lung tar transplant anyone?

5 Likes

Here is the preprint, which is much more interesting than the news article, imo: https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0315/v1

It is a preprint, so take it with a grain of salt, but if it is 100% legit, I have doubts of the significance of the effect in vivo. It only as potential to moderately affect just one specific process in infection and disease (viral entry). But this is the first thing I have seen that suggests Cannabis could actually have some theoretical benefit for SARS-CoV-2, after hearing a handful of bullshit claims from CBD companies for weeks.

Regardless, Igor Kovalchuk (and probably family? 3 of the authors are Kovalchuks) sounds interesting.

5 Likes

Raw juicing of the leaves, almost magical how it helped this young lady,

Old vid I used to share.

3 Likes

Not peer reviewed, secret strains of their own company. I guess this mostly serves as promotion for the companies involved.

If they really got something it would be interesting to know the strains of course, maybe the growing community would have a better idea of what is going on. It is obvioulsy not CBD (alone) but some other part, cannabinoid or tepenes maybe.

But information this vague is not really helpful.

2 Likes