Cleaning a Bubble Mac Air stone with Muriatic Acid?

Just got my Bubble Mac Air stones in the mail. I was looking up how to clean them before use and it’s saying to use Muriatic Acid. The acid is something I don’t have and don’t sound too good for plants. Is there another way I can clean them?

2 Likes

I use hydrogen peroxide 3% just sit them in it for 24 hour’s to clean off the algae and let dry, then a quick run over with a soft wire brush.

4 Likes

I was gonna say if you use muriatic acid be careful it’s pretty nasty stuff but @Shadey has the best answer

2 Likes

I was listening to the dude grows podcast a few weeks ago and someone recommended using denture cleaner on air stones.

2 Likes

It’s just hydrochloric acid. It works very well. The purpose is not to sterilize it, the purpose is to dissolve mineral buildup, which occurs over time. Peroxide won’t dissolve minerals. Acid will.

It’s not dangerous just use basic precautions. Add acid to water, not the other way around. Wear gloves and something for your eyes. Don’t drink it. It’s not like deadly poison or anything it’s just an acid. There’s hydrochloric acid in your stomach right now haha. You can use it for pH down.

There are other acids you can use, sulfuric or phosphoric are also handy for grow use and will dissolve minerals quickly.

Air stones are also cheap, it’s often cost effective to just buy new ones.

5 Likes

Yeah, I just use my stones to areate my water, I don’t need acid really, just something to kill the algae off. I forget people use them with nutrients.

1 Like

Yeah. I also read about peroxide and boil after. Thanks guys.

1 Like

If you do end up using muriatic acid, keep it away from tin… used to make lil 20oz bottle bombs with muriatic acid and a strip of tin. Can blow a metal mailbox apart. Won’t explode if not sealed, but still a pretty decent reaction.

6 Likes

@ChronicMcBudz i don’t think I’ll be using that. But I’ll keep it in mind. To be honest I thought these were the before use instructions. I feel stupid now for over reacting and not reading the instructions properly.

4 Likes

We still love you. :hugs:

:evergreen_tree: :laughing: :derelict_house:

3 Likes

I’ll just toss this in, even less expensive then airstones is 1/4 inch soaker hose, cost me $6 last year for like 50 ft. its porous air goes thru it.

2 Likes

Mate, which one did you buy? I’m not quite sure that every hose will pass air. And which size bubbles you have? Same like form stones?

1 Like

i will check on the brand, want to say rainbird, but will look , alot of fine bubbles every so often big ones especially where you bend it, got the idea from hightimes mag, these are soakers they pass water thats there purpose. I will check though.

PS i have to add if you use like in tea or recharge(especially the powdered mol.) thye get plugged fast

I checked label says Dig. Corp. sorry no more then that

1 Like

similar to the cheap airstones i get similar to the active air stones i have but less uniform

right now I’m using this solution

I think this is pretty much the same but costs more. Bubbles are medium but this stuff does not require any maintenance. I’m looking for similar solution but cheaper as I’m getting much bigger garden.

that flex you have looks good, i think the holes are alot smaller mostly in the soaker tube thats why they plug.
you Said Mate so I am assuming your not in the states? if your in the states send me a pm your addy and i will send you a couple feet to try it.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, I’m outside the US :smile:
Also alita industries have cheap silicone hose solution but as I see in preview this holes are too big.
http://www.alita.com/diffuser/siliconehose.php

i can try overseas but can say this since covid nothing has gotten there or here from overseas

Tryed to send money to the server(lemonaidefoe) my post office went nutzs, thought i was gonna hear from the fbi