Cloning help

They might be too wet. Like SeaMonkey said the rockwool shouldn’t be overly soaked. If you see fog on the inside of the dome the humidity is high enough. I spray the dome itself the first couple days, then nothing as it’s always foggy. If there’s large droplets on the dome I’ll remove it and wipe them off with a paper towel.

If you have water in the bottom of your tray dump it out.

5 Likes

Agreed if you baby them too much with a saturated media and super high humidity they take forever to send out roots. They’ll happily chill like that for weeks and weeks with no roots.

2 Likes

The part of low light is something I have to work on. I’m still getting use to LEDs I guess, I think that’s part of why I’ve had less success rooting cuttings this time around. Years ago I use to have 100% success eith everything rooting within 10 days.
For just a few cuttings, this is what I do.

12 Likes

All the wisdom and advice is much appreciated thank you everyone.

I cut the larger droopy fans and removed the water from the tray keeping the rock wool moist. I’m pretty sure the window they were near has a nice chilly draft so I moved them into my bathroom with more warmth and less light. I’ll check back in a few weeks :grinning:

3 Likes

I practiced cloning my last go. Had all cuts take picked the strongest. Did add cloning gel or nutes, plain tap water did the trick.

3 Likes

45 degree angle cut, into a glass of water, into root hormone powder, into a jiffy pellet filled with clonex.

IDK about snipping fan leaves my clones root with all the leaf attached.

Make sure where the stem meets the medium (rockwool peat etc) the stem is sealed up nice and snug.

I keep the dome on no vent, but I mist 3 times a day, pick up the pellet and mist the bottom of the leaves, then mist the top of the dome and put it back on.

I see visible roots in 7-10 days.

2 Likes

Taking them out (big ones) make sense as the plant has not to spend energy and resources to sustain them and can concentrate on new growth, they are useless at this point … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

they uptake water.

when the plant has no roots, water transpires through the underside of the leaf.

So my thinking was leaf the leaf, plant has enough stress being cut and having to throw roots

1 Like

I know they uptake water, that’s why I said “only the big ones”. I also see many people cutting half of each fan leaf fingers … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

also stored nutrient in the leaf in case the plant needs to use it its there.

I leave the leaf on, use both powder and gel Indole-3-Butyric Acid mist frequently with a humidity dome on and get good results.

I was thinking about using a cloner with inserts, pump/airstone & nutrient solution but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth to put together, I’d rather just spray them more often.

1 Like

Better for the plant to be hungry and look for nutes throwing new roots, if you have a method that works for you that’s fine, that’s the good thing about tips, you can follow them or not … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

It might not help with your current cuttings, but the best decision that I ever made for cuttings, was making an aerocloner. My friend sent me an old aerocloner bucket of his and plans to build one about 8 years ago and I never looked back. I have made several since then. Set it and forget it type of shit. By far the easiest method I have ever utilized and I usually get 100% success rates every time as well. Just a heads up, I put 14 holes in each of my 5 gallon lids and I have many buckets. I just finished building a 35 site tub yesterday as well. It is humorous because I usually suggest building an aerocloner to anyone who seeks cloning advice and many are too lazy to actually build one, but aerocloners are truly the laziest/easiest method for cloning haha. I fucking love it. This is a good video for reference: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf8m9kqTTW0 Positive vibes…

~nugzz

3 Likes

My suggestion was to cut the Superthrive. Not sure what ur problem is - I have the bottle with me right here. Active ingredients Total Nitrogren 0.5% …Water Soluble Nitrogen 0.4% …Water Insoluble Nitrogen 0.1% Vitiamin B-1 0.09% 1-Naphthyl Acetic Acid 0.048%

Replace it with perhaps a kelp foliar - Even though superthrive is derived from KELP. not sure what was wrong with that. Don’t need ur scientific explaination man I simply told the OP to cut the superthrive and use regular water.

Maybe, we cut differently

Peace!

7 Likes

I agree with @Tappy. You may want to get the light further away or put it under something less intense.

1 Like

That might be the biggest clone I’ve ever seen! That, or you have Trump hands! :laughing:

Do you have a photo of that same “clone” with roots? Please post it if you do, I’d love to see how it looked after rooting in a glass of water like that.

3 Likes

Big or small we root them all. The large one is a special cut I am saving for a friend no need for roots until January. A risk willing to take for my friend. It was cut maybe 5 weeks ago. I can take a macro shot of the cut stalk 4 u, but I am not here to thread jack. Simply here to tell the OP to stop using superthrive on his unrooted clones.

As far as my hands - I am not familiar with the Trump reference;

I like to think they are a good size comparatively to the hands of the cultivars that I tend to :sunglasses:

8 Likes

I feel like you aren’t getting it. How much N is in a solution of 1 gallon of water, that you added 1 drop of a 0.5% solution to? Effectively none. A gallon is comprised of over 75,000 drops. There’s probably more N in kelp foliar you suggested.

Superthrive is a vitamin and hormone supplement, the N is incidental. There is some anecdotal evidence that vitamins and hormones help cuttings, I don’t use any, but it’s not gonna hurt anything with excess Nitrogen, as you suggested it would.

1 Like

Clonex solution is more concentrated than super thrive and it’s meant to be used on clones. I don’t think that’s his issue

It’s most likely a moisture issue. Too much can rot them, too little and they wilt. Like someone already mentioned, even though they don’t have roots the clones still transpire. Problem is when there are no roots they can’t take up more water so they wilt.

The more leaf surface you have the more moisture they need to keep hydrated. Trimming the leaves definitely helps minimize the problem. Try misting them lightly with water and keep the dome on. They should perk back up

2 Likes