Cloning help

I pulled top clones yesterday. 3 1/2 weeks old highmac strain. Under a dome in rock wool. Water has a few drops of superthrive in it. Under a $15 blurple light my dad bought off wish. Heating pad underneath. Dipped in clone x gel before putting in the wool.

I’m not sure what I’m seeing here. Inside the dome is low 70’s. Thinking too cold, not enough light or too wet. They’re all floppy and drooping. Help please.

8 Likes

You need to take the dome off a few times a day and mist them with a spray bottle . Temps are fine . Fan them for fresh air . patience .

11 Likes

Two of em stood right back up after about 30 minutes :astonished: Thanks for the intervention :grin:

7 Likes

From my personal experience, I find that the clones I’ve taken that have the big leaves still attached like some of yours have are always the hardest clones to manage. Those big leaves are there mostly for photosynthesis, but your clones don’t need the amount of energy that those leaves generated on the plant (before the clones were taken). In fact, they tend to put stress on the clones by stealing nourishment away from the the main growth that you want at both ends of the stem.

tl;dr - cut off the fan leaves - they’re doing more harm than good for you right now.

12 Likes

By 2 1/2 weeks I would potentially look at removing the dome but at minimum put a spacer across the corners to give some space for some air movement. And I agree with the misting a couple times a day.

2 Likes

You’ll do fine…I mist once a day and then spray under the dome too to hold humidity.

I use a cfl for cloning. That don’t need much to get rooted.

2 Likes

Not sure if mentioned but I would pull the Superthrive routine u mentioned as well.

can you please elaborate as to why he should stop using superthrive?

Fresh clones done need N. Clones don’t need any nutrients to root. Superthrive is a highly concentrated dose of N.

It’s a touchy nutrient. Ur better off with plain water

Naturally larger fans will yellow off and die. Too much light is bad - you already got all the other tips you need above me :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I very rarely use super thrive. I have had a bottle (small flask size botle) for over 3 years. If something looks sickly I will pull it out. If I want excess vegetation for no reason, I will pull it out

Instead, switch to Kelp for clones. Foliar kelp or light doses at the root zone. Ur plants will thank u

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/wtrF1MJMe0s.
Grab a cutting, cut at 45° angle and stick it in a bottle of purified water change every week under 24 hour light until you see roots. I PREFER cfl lights seeing it doesn’t cause alot of burn. Veg stage is much preferred for cloning the method worked for me countless time even during 4 weeks flowering. Save that money.

1 Like

Just the proper ph clean water. Some root gel on the cut.

1 Like

Maybe raise the light a bit too…although not sure where it sits atm

2 Likes

if you got money to spend and plan on cloning a lot buy a aerocloer setup. You fill clean ph water dip the cuts in clonex or root horomone. Put em in collars n forget em til they got a beard hanging. But dont be like me n set it up on a table. My 64 site ezclone hit the floor yesterday pump fried manifold busted pissed. Worst part i may have lost the jungle chocolate cut i had in there. Will have to retry in midflower. 15 gal of water on floor. But they work great. Im about to buy a cheap one hope its good as that ezclone.

3 Likes

aim at temps around 80

2 Likes

I just think some strains are more difficult to root, higher humidity and occasional fresh air I had a current blue dream that took almost 2 weeks and others I’v had throwing roots in less than 7 days

Your heat mat seems on the cool side if ya can get it in the upper 70’s F you may have better luck

Iv heard certain locations On the plant where clones are taken also has better rates

2 Likes

Superthrive is mostly hormones and vitamins. Very little N. Effectively none when you consider it is a drop or two in a gallon of water.

7 Likes

If your only making a few cuttings, try to find a smaller chamber, or mist it the first few days. You don’t want to keep the rock wool too wet either, just moist enough to have barely drip out if squeezed.

4 Likes

So he should use it to root his clones?

It’s recommended a drop per gallon as it is ‘highly concentrated’

Says it right on the bottle

Doesn’t matter. A drop of anything in a gallon of water means it’s now extremely diluted.

Very concentrated in hormones. Not Nitrogen. It’s not a fertilizer. It’s a vitamin supplement.

I don’t anything special for clones anymore. They just get regular strength veg feed. Rooting hormones will shave a few days off but I don’t run a production facility. Rooting is more a function of temperatures, low light, and properly preparing the clone. I just cut lowers and stick in a rockwool cube and put it in low light. As mentioned, rooting big meaty leafy tops is harder than rooting lower branches. You also don’t want a big hollow stem, it’s harder to callus over and the hollow stem is a vector for pathogens. I’ve had top cuts root, start growing, and later die from stem-rot disease.

I also find it’s important to keep the rooting media less than saturated as the plant needs a moist but not wet environment to callus over and send out roots. Snips in a full glass of water can take months to root, as they actually absorb enough water to survive. Lower the water level to an inch and they get the drive to actually send out new roots.

7 Likes