"Commercial" Dehumidifier(s) - What do you think of these?

I’m looking at these Alorair brand dehumidifiers. Eg: LINK, or LINK.

They appear similar to an Anden or a Quest brand, but they don’t cost $2000 minimum - like these brands, at least the units I linked.
I found one mention of “alorair” in the search, for a stand up unit.

Any thoughts on if you think one of these would do well? I don’t see why not. They’re used in flood damage/remediation and stuff like that. 5 year warranty. I wonder if they’re better than a comparable (ie: 50 pint) “consumer grade” unit (from home depot, canadian tire, costco, etc.).
The first unit I linked (the bluish colored one) says 113 pints per day, yet 53 pints per day at AHAM (and I think that’d be even lower of a rating by DOE standards, and if that’s the case, it’s almost three times more money than a 50 pint DOE consumer grade Danby, Midea, etc. and possibly less effective. It also says it’s good for something like 1200 sq/ft, while the consumer grade ones claim at least 3000-4500 sq/ft at a “50 pint” rating…, bizarre. Maybe the consumer grade ones of exaggerating. Hard to compare, with all these varying standards and methodologies for testing and rating.
Eg: of a 50 pint consumer grade on amazon; LINK

Thanks for any input. If you have experience or practical knowledge with this especially.

3 Likes

I currently have a Hisense dehumidifier from Lowe’s that has run constantly for the last 3+ years in a very humid basement in Florida. I set it to 60% and let it rip and drip via hose connection to the sump. I have used several brands including Frigidaire models. The Hisense has outlasted the other brands.

This is the closest model currently stocked.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-50-Pint-2-Speed-Dehumidifier-with-Built-in-Pump/5001595503

4 Likes

I have a similar one works great for me too.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks for your input, guys.

MODIFYING A DEHUMIDIFIER

Ok… As I’m a little confused now as to where/how to post what without making a new thread. So I’ll post this here, I guess. Hence, the reason for the “title” before this new…topic, sort of.

I have an older (I’m not sure how old, it doesn’t look old, has that “smart” dehumidify feature - the brain symbol, hah.) dehumidifier, I honestly don’t quite remember how I got it, but I’m 99% sure I didn’t buy it. Anyway, it’s Danby model number DDR060BFCWDB, if you wanna search that you’ll find it and it’s specs on the Danby site.
One of it’s functions it very stupid, that is, if it reaches it’s set point - or a few percent below setpoint - whatever the threshold is, the compressor turns off (and that’s fine), but the fan turns off as well. I can explain how counterproductive this is, especially in a garden scenario, which it obviously isn’t intended for, but it’s still stupid.

I want to open it up, find the AC hot conductor, and “bypass” whatever pcb and relay are responsible for this, and wire it so that the fan always has power; meaning that as long as it’s plugged in/getting power the fan will be running.

This is very much something I’m capable of and will attempt regardless, but I’m just wondering if anyone else has had a device that was working against them like this and if they did something similar. The best part is that, I think I was given this dehumidifier, and I’m even more ok with taking it apart. I like to take things apart and put them back together.

I might have it open by the time anybody replies, should anybody reply. But feel free to talk about it, if you like.
Link to my post on dehumidifier ratings/standards: Anyone with practical experience regarding Dehumidification, Standards (AHAM vs DOE)?

It would be nice if the fan setting was separate sure, but why rely on a dehumidifier for any sort of air movement? I have a 50 and a 30 pint home models but I only keep them purely for dehumification and only for part of the year.

1 Like