Current legit breeders and those to be wary of?

It seems that there are many like me that are coming back after long breaks due to things changing in their areas. While I have been out a lot has changed due to things opening up in other parts of the country. Now when I look at seed banks there are only a few recognizable names. I know there is a lot of info in this forum but it is scattered. I wanted to get some input in one place to help those who have been out and need to figure out who is legit now days. I appreciate any input.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Are you in the US, there are many many options nowadays. But, it is a bit of a minefield if you are just getting back into it.

BarefootAndBlazed linked to community comments on some of the banks these days, above.

Also, take a look at the tag to expand the discussion for more seedbank specifics:

If you don’t understand some of the abbreviations in some of those thread, don’t be afraid to ask.

E.g. GLG = Great Lake Genetics, JBC = James Bean Company, DCSE = DC Seed Exchange, etc.

7 Likes

Oddly not for the first time today I’m going to second JBC.

4 Likes

If I’m not buying direct from the breeder, JBC is my seedbank of choice. I hear good things about GLG, but payment is a hassle. JBC has been stellar for customer service, ease of ordering, and good selection (including plenty from my current favorites, Bodhi and AK Bean Brains).

Runner-up is SoakNBeans, run by our very own @Kakalak. It is also home to our very own @SamwellBB 's Baked Beanz. And the freebies… man, sooooo many freebies when you order!!!

14 Likes

Yeah, I would second SoakNBeans. @Kakalak with Calyx Brothers and @SamwellBB and his Baked Beanz are the two I would go to if you are just getting back. They both have some crazy tasty terps in their strains and @Kakalak is very generous with freebies when you order through them. I bet any strain that either of them have will blow you away compared to old school…and, I’m old and old school, lol.

Don’t chase the high priced stuff unless you have money to experiment. Sometimes the best secrets are right in front of us. happy grows, although that’s a given, lol.

7 Likes

I try to avoid being negative, but sometimes it is just reality.

Every damn breeder I ever bought seeds from was a disaster. Sensi gave me bullshit seeds. Shanti gave me shit so old not a single one would pop. Mandala seeds didn’t even show up.

I have never had any success with these foolproof breeders people rave about. Going back for years… I would think I didn’t know how to grow a damn thing if it wasn’t for generous members sending me seeds that blow away anything I ever bought from a “professional breeder”.

1 Like

You are asking about breeders and not seed banks (en.seedfinder.eu), yes? Over the past 2 years I’ve had stellar success with strains from G13 Labs (for me, the most consistent) and Crockett Family Farms. The worst was just about anything from ‘Seeds Here Now’ – they destroyed stock from Humboldt Seed Company and Crockett in a most serious way to a point where they are truly a waste of money; as many other banks on seedfinder have been shown to be worthless scammers; and there are a LOT of them.

Maybe you could clarify exactly what you are asking? For seed banks (look at seedfinder) or breeders. If it’s banks - for what country? If for cultivars - towards what end? Indoor, outdoor, etc.

1 Like

That’s a tough question im sure you’ll get lots of different answers. Here’s a list of dudes I’d throw my money at for seeds.

AK bean brains
Useful seeds
Doc D seeds
Bodhi seeds
Strayfox gardens
Schwaggy Seeds
San/santero seeds

Breeders I’d stay away from for personal reasons

Riot seeds
Mass medical
Dying breed
Seed junky
Anybody breeding with gelato or sherb

13 Likes

This man speaks truth.

I like Doc D, Farmer Joe, Karma, Bodhi, Fleur du Mal, SAN, and a slew of small timers and amateur breeders like myself.

The best seeds are usually cheap/free lol just my experience.

9 Likes

Yes, I was looking more for breeders in general. Im in the US and just seeing a lot of different breeders listed and am trying to figure out who is really doing the work vs popping up to make a quick buck off untested overpriced seeds.

My first real run was from a forum auction around 01 Early Girl x Juicy Fruit. I wish I still had those. My friend had a friend over who he let see a nug the guy freaked out and looks at and said “Oh my god you have to smell this” I said “I know I already smelled it.” I owe it all to early forum posts on organics from future big names. In those days there was a distinct difference between a strain and an untested f1 not that great things aren’t possible with f1s but they weren’t sold for premium prices or represented as strains or named like the one I got. Today someone would probably call it Girly Fruit and charge $200 for 8 from what I am seeing.

4 Likes

The first bean I grew was a juicy fruit bag seed! It was great!

1 Like

Bodhi Seeds
Strayfox
Doc D
CSI

That’s about all you’ll need. The top 3 are all good friends IRL and their beans are mostly non-hype strains, and they’re not greedy people so all of their packs are VERY inexpensive, especially if you buy during Buy 1 Get 1 sales. They can be purchased at www.greatlakesgenetics.com and www.headiegardens.com (pw= muffcabbage)

Avoid hype strains and most cookies crosses. They’re junk. If it’s being promoted on IG as the best thing ever by thousands of people, you can almost 100% guarantee it’s not very good weed. Don’t get caught up in that bullshit.

9 Likes

I have to be honest with you here, I don’t think I’m ever going to get my seeds outside of OG. Of the ones I’ve gotten from the OG members, They are the best looking beans I’ve seen in a while and the germ rate is 100% so far! Below is a bean from @JustSumTomatoes

1/1 beans popped!

Seems like it’s a dead link. But I’ll save it none the less

7 Likes

It always puts a smile on my face seeing these sort of comments, thanks for the kind words they mean a lot!

5 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Using TOR to buy seeds

Overgrow members have the best seeds lol

I’ve went through a few shady seed banks
Definitely stay away from growers choice seeds
And 207 genetics,seeds are
Garbage,not my monkeys 420 is another one their on Facebook as well,if your seeds don’t open and you tell the lady who owns it,she just blocks you on Facebook

Their loads of people selling seeds now on Facebook sales,well sketchy

I use to trade seeds on other forums but this is definitely the best forum to trade one,people not going to rip you off here

5 Likes

Has anyone run any A.B.Seed gear out?

Bump ABSeed?