Dehumidifier suggestions

Nice set up.

[OP Thread Title: Anyone with practical experience regarding Dehumidification, Standards (AHAM vs DOE)?] Dehumidifier Testing Standards / Dehumidifier Ratings.

I just want to discuss the testing procedures, and standards used and given to dehumidification machines.
AHAM
DOE

AHAM rates/rated dehumidifiers based on test parameters of 80F and 60% RH. Thatā€™s what the ratings (in pints per day or PPD) on dehumidifiers used to be (and some still are).
DOE rates dehumidifiers based on test parameters of 65
F and 60% RH. This results in a lower PPD number, even though a dehumidifier previously rated by AHAM is the same machine, they would now (if given a DOE rating, retested etc.) be significanly less in their rating.

Some machines/marketing will say straight up, eg: ā€œ50 pints per day DOEā€. Some will say, eg: ā€œ55 pints per day AHAMā€. But some will just say ā€œX pints per dayā€, and wonā€™t say which of these standards it relates to. This is a pretty big deal, because DOE is essentially a more difficult testing paramater/method (cold air holds less water, harder to dehumidify), and better represents how good the dehumidifier is at itā€™s job, regardless of where itā€™s being used.
I think one of the main reasons for this change was the most peopleā€™s basements, where a lot of these units are used or designed for, are not 80F, theyā€™re cold(er) - closer to 65F.
Note: some/many units also give a square footage theyā€™ll cover. But this seems a little bit more confusing, and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d go with this over the ppd ratings and such.

If you have any knowledge, professionally or just from lots of experience, and know anything about this, itā€™d be great if you could weigh in.

Useful link for a short explanation with AHAM to DOE ratings comparisons (shows how much youā€™d have to ā€œde-rateā€ a unit that is tested/rated to AHAM if it were rated to DOE, for both portables and whole home units).

EDIT: Additional useful link Iā€™m going through:

A more ā€œindustrialā€ sounding brand and device example (see itā€™s ppd rating, at saturation, and at AHAM:
Alorair Sentinel HD55
-53ppd AHAM (so maybeā€¦30ppd DOEā€¦?)
-About $800 CAD reg. price I think.
-ā€œApplicationsā€ mentions ā€œbasements and crawlspacesā€ among others, but the others seem like areas/situations of very high (saturation?) humidity where youā€™d think the temps would likely be close to or above 80F. But basements and crawlspaces? Are most peopleā€™s basements 80F? I donā€™t think so. Iā€™ve no experience with a crawlspace, but maybe in Florida or similar? You tell me.

A consumer grade, big box store example (see itā€™s ppd rating, it doesnā€™t state what standard, though I called and asked Danby, and he went off and checked, and said it was DOE. I donā€™t feel confident though, because I wanna see it in writing/specs):
Danby 23.6 L (50 Pint) Energy Star Dehumidifier with WIFI and Pump
-Claims 50ppd, no standard given, but Danby rep said itā€™s DOE. If itā€™s DOE, then itā€™s closer to 70ppd AHAM.
-$280-350 CAD reg. price, depending where, and maybe promotions.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting thatā€¦

I went back and checked my new 50 pint unitā€¦
(Hogarlabs 3500 Sq. Ft.) ā€¦they specified 50 pints at 95F, 90% RHā€¦
:smile: :crossed_fingers:

Well, it is doing ok, fine at holding 60% in my small makeshift drying room and hopefully should be alright in future applicationsā€¦(lung room conditioning)

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Iā€™m interested in this topic.

1 Like

Happy it was of some use to ya.

Cool. I posted with the hopes that someone, maybe in HVAC, who happened to know some more specifics or more details - and have experience to share, would maybe come along.

Thereā€™s another topic regarding air conditioners, portables specifically, and their SACC rating (which I think also goes by DOE). Itā€™s a more accurate way of testing/rating their ability to cool a room. It takes into account all factors that contribute to their inherent inefficiencies (the ducting gets hot, they may draw air from the room theyā€™re cooling, etc. etc.). Youā€™ll see it on many portables now, itā€™ll say something like ā€œ12000 BTUā€ and then underneath that ā€œ8000 BTU SACCā€ - for example. Seasonally Adjusted Cooling Capacity.
Hereā€™s a channel that does a great job explaining SACC (and they do vids on dehumidifiers too): Consumer Analysis.

If you scroll down (to vids from about 3 years ago) youā€™ll see about four videos in a row they did on ā€œBest portable ACā€, they go into SACC. Eg: Best 14000 BTU Portable AC. The best one is now a Midea Duo unit.
I used to think that a dual hose unit meant that it was better than a single hose unit, without question (for obvious reasons, if one knows a little bit about how these things work), but I learned thatā€™s not necessarily the case.

3 Likes

That is a big one. 1400 btu. I have a wall unit. Been wanting to change it up.

1 Like

a toshiba dehumidifier is working very well to keep my house dry here in the drippy pacific northwest.

A good rule of thumb for electronics and small appliances is to buy them from the brand that actually manufactures them. Not rebranded units.

So, I know thereā€™s some information out there in the Internet, but there really isnā€™t a lot of information out there on the Internet. Whatā€™s a good dehumidifier for a bedroom that Iā€™m drying in?

I want to be able to program the humidity level so it shuts off when it reaches that level. It seems like everything on Amazon is cheap piece of junk and the more expensive ones. I canā€™t tell if theyā€™re other pieces of junk or if theyā€™re actually good.

I know nothing about these. Help me out! Iā€™m hanging plants to dry in an empty bedroom about 200 ft.Ā²

I have a humidifier that I can program with an app. Seems to work great. I got it set to 60, it shuts off and turns on on its own. Itā€™s got a humidity sensor in it and the app shows me the numbers and the stats. But thatā€™s telling me, especially when itā€™s raining outside. That the humidity is getting up to 75% in that room. I need to fix that now, and for future dries.

What are you guys using? Oh and Iā€™m not trying to spend over $200. Iā€™d really like to keep it under that!

1 Like

I donā€™t use anythingā€¦I just hang dry them, I donā€™t do any overthinking about these plants any moreā€¦the temps in my house is at 72 and I have a fan for air movement.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve tried that. But the temperature and humidity fluctuation causes my plants to smell and taste like hay or grass. And it makes it a harsh smoke. And I lose basically all my Turpines and all I can smell is hay and grass. I donā€™t want to grow good plants anymore and then destroy them during the dry. Itā€™s not worth it to me.

So, Iā€™m looking for information on dehumidifiers!

3 Likes

When it still smell/taste like hay/grass itā€™s not totally dryā€¦after drying it has to be cured, sometimes it takes 2+ weeks to dryā€¦it sometimes take 4+ weeks to be totally cured bromigoā€¦donā€™t be in a rush to smoke itā€¦hope this helps.

2 Likes

I would put an extra WiFi humidity sensor connected to my phone ( like Engbird ones), compare the data from both and play with that, I guess you could program a lower humidity in the dehu ā€¦ beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

On Amazon, there is a brand called Vremi. The smallest dehumidifier they have should be sufficient for your room. I have two of them and they work great. Have lasted 2+ years so far.

2 Likes

When I switched to controlled dry, 60 degrees and 60 percent humidity for two weeks, it was a game changer. Little need to cure/burp because it ends up perfect. There are several dehumidifiers on Amazon that are programmable, just spend mid shelf and youā€™ll be happy.

Iā€™ll look when I go outside tomorrow. I have one in a 8x10 shed works great for growing. Should be fine for your uses. Amazon. About 6ā€x12ā€x18"

Thatā€™s the specs I use 60/60. To drop the temp I use a window unit to get the desired temp and an auto humidifier for humidity

1 Like

Maybe a desiccant dehumidifier can be enough for drying some plants.
Iā€™ve not used one yet. However I really can use some spot dehumidifying as the regular dehumidifier when close to my growing plants seems to dry them to quick.
When located in another area, where the air for the grow area is pulled from, removes a good bit of the water, so some spot dryers may work a treat for me.
Iā€™m sort of slow and just found these a few days ago

For a good dehumidifier Iā€™d get one that meets the 2019 DOE 50 pint standard (itā€™s the same as the 2012 70 pint DOE standard .)
2019 50 pint DOE standard dehumidifier

2 Likes

There are two types of portable plug in dehumidifiers , different working parts / methods for dehumidifying

One is best at lower temps , other is best at higher temps I think

Make sure you buy the type suitable to your dry room

: )

2 Likes

Hereā€™s what Iā€™m using.

The RH sensor is accurate, the unit is quiet and produces less heat than others.

Cheers
G

5 Likes