DIY Bulkhead Fittings

These fittings are expensive and hard to find. I found a few DIY options online, but couldn’t find all the required parts. Here’s a way to make a bulkhead fitting using basic hardware store parts. Hopefully this will help the next person who is having this issue!

Note that some of these parts come from the plumbing section of the hardware store, and some are from electrical. Here are the parts. 1 and 2 are plumbing parts, 3 and 4 are electrical parts:

1. Poly male adapter (this is 1/2" there are different sizes) (plumbing section)
  2. Rubber O rings that fit over the threading of the adapter (plumbing section)
  3. Locknuts that fit the threading of the adapter (electrical section)
  4. Plastic bushing that fits the threading of adapter (electrical section)

These things come in a variety of sizes, so its easiest to start with part 1. Take it with you around the store and make sure all the other parts fit properly onto it.

Here’s how it looks assembled:

Drill a hole just larger than the fitting in your bucket. The plastic bushing and O ring will be inside the tank/bucket, and the locknut will be on the outside. Outside view:

Inside of bucket:

If you drill your hole close enough to the fitting size you shouldn’t need silicone or anything. The rubber O ring will compress as you tighten the locknut and will create a good seal. I put a little silicone around the outer part of the seal just to be safe.

Hope this helps someone!!

10 Likes

Can also find the locknuts with the rubber o ring attached to them

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/index~text~5620222~path~product~part~5620222~ds~dept~process~search?gclid=CjwKCAiAnsnjBRB6EiwATkM1XuERJV9UecFpAqZIGWvS5x19sP9CWcnG45XdPB2toj7XqkDdtv2-5BoCwQsQAvD_BwE

4 Likes

Nice! That’s a perfect combination

2 Likes

Good stuff, thanks for the DIY instruction @beacher.

2 Likes

I used these from my local HD. Not what they are meant for but worked great.

3 Likes

My home Depot definitely didn’t have those. Looks great. .

The cheapest I found was over $10. Now with the parts I can make more any time I need to also

Ya they are in the electrical section so not where you would normally look.

2 Likes