DIY Grow Lights with high-efficiency LED strips

I’m currently using a 24v 20a adjustable switching power supply, Saving up for a meanwell right now, the HLG-480H-24A will be my driver once I can afford it.

@Fisch If you add the driver I haven’t purchased yet, the total will come up to $506.00 I have a cost breakdown somewhere above in this thread.

3 Likes

Salutations,

Another question: Who many “bands” can there be?

For example, from 380 to 880 nanometers if each band is 25 nm wide then that’s 500 divided by 25, which totals to 20 bands 25 nm wide each.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

1 Like

Ok nobody mentioned it here :smiley: or atleast I didnt see it but if I would like to have 10 strips for my 3x3 space. what kind should I use of I want one panel from seed to flower?? 2700, 3000,3500 or 5000K??

2 Likes

Personally, I would go with the 3500k for a light that can be used to veg and flower. The higher Kelvin are also usually more efficient due to the coating on the diodes. A mix of 3000K and 3500k could be nice too.

4 Likes

And what wave lenghts does the solstrips got? How much Red and so…?:slight_smile: Thanks

Hi there @Fisch , I just post the intensity vs. wavelength graphs for the different color temperatures for the LM561c diode which the SolStrip uses. This should be what your looking for:

https://overgrow.com/t/diy-led-150w-solstrip-build-incomplete/6828

3 Likes

Right now I’ve got 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K (limited) and 5000K in stock. Charts below illustrate their relative spectrum intensities:

10 Likes

i was thinking of using 4 3500k solstrips/solsinks in a 60cmx60cmx180cm tent and was wondering what driver i should use ? or if there are any better set up options

The HLG-185 should work if you don’t plan to run them at full power. Full power (50.8 W x 4 = 203.2 W )

2 Likes

what about if i run 3 the hlg 185 will run them full yea ?

how much for 3 solsink and 3 solstrip shipped to australia please help or 4?

Here’s some info on cheap quantum boards https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1481967/.

1 Like

have you checked his website if there is a shipping cost estimator?

3 Likes

australia wasnt on the shipping list for delivery

As someone who has been dealing with Chinese LED vendors for the better part of a year, be very wary of knock-off items such as these. There seems to be a whole sub-set of Alibaba vendors who seem to do nothing other than look for hot-selling items, grab some images from the original retailers website, figure out the unique search terms associated with the products, and post them on their own pages with a low-ball price. What you receive from them could be anything - including something that may have no resemblance to the item as pictured or specified. But by then, your money is in China, and returning a $100-200 order will be financially untenable. This is basically the business model for scores of Alibaba vendors, especially those promoting low or no minimum purchase amounts.

In this instance I know personally that this manufacturer has never produced authentic Quantum Boards. I also note the info on the LED brand used is listed as “Samsung/Epistar”. Since there’s no joint Samsung/Epistar branded LED chip, you can bet you’ll get Epistar diodes, at best. Caveat emptor.

1 Like

Hi @casperdeigh, Australia delivery is now available and you can calculate shipping to AUS for any order you place in the shopping cart at SolStrip.com. The actual cost will depend on your location.

-b420

1 Like

From my 2 yrs of dealings with Chinese vendors i’ve found that most clone devices are made in the same factory with the same parts. These factories are outsourced by us companies to acquire parts and and assemble. Then under cut the us company by continuing to manufacture them and sell directly. Now what you say is possible but there’s already other people that placed orders. You could wait to see what they say be4 you jump on it. Also one of the company’s has a 10 yr gold standard. That’s not easy to maintain with a greedy whiney self-entitled usa based consumer market.

Sure, anything is possible, except that you will receive an actual Quantum Board. Because that vendor never built them for HLG. So they are knock-offs at best, or completely fraudulent fakes most likely. I will let the others who just want to believe waste their money. I don’t have to wait and see, I’ve been there and done it. I just wanted to warn others since you seem intent on promoting a vendor you’ve got no experience with who is blatantly promoting counterfeit goods branded with a retailer they have no business relationship with.

5 Likes

Well obviously you only deal in an absolute way of thinking. The fact that others have placed oders and will give honest feed back matters nothing to you. If that’s not enough then nothing will be.

Hello everyone, here Is my solstrip build so far. I will use these for veg cycle. These have 3-5000k modules and 1 each of the 2700k and 3500k modules attached to each cookie sheet. I modified an old Xbox 360 power supply and then attached a boost converter and we are in business! I got some 19 gauge Cooke sheets and they seem to be doing just fine. I did put one solstrip backwards and the thermal tape I used was so strong that I couldn’t unattach the strip from the sheet. So I just left it there and wired in a thicker gauge wire to it. Seems to have not added that much resistance from the added length of wire… I have yet to add some hangers but I will borrow the method @Baudelaire used, which is drill holes in the 4 corners and use some sort of lace or string to hang them.

Btw I wired them all in parallel. I really like the solstrips because they have a lower voltage that is easier to achieve using the booster method than the cobs or even other quantum boards… I am only pushing 1 amp through these in the picture and they are still too bright to look at directly. I did a heat test at 10 amps for each sheet and they do get pretty hot. I may need to tape on some heat sinks to the backs when I start cranking up the power for mid veg cycle.

13 Likes