Cob led......and GO!

Ok, thoughts? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N9A82RV/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1491925399&sr=8-18&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=cob+led

Or this one? @lotus710 @GrowerGoneWild serve me up an edumacation my friends (-:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RZ78ISM/ref=pd_aw_sbs_86_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=603SFAMZPTF7657X8C6N&dpPl=1&dpID=61LO%2B7YrtvL

I am interested in hearing what people think also.

1 Like

No and no. Well… Unless you want like 900w of heat and 100w of photonsXD lmfao. See the problem with these chinese lights is they only there to make some cash. They dont give a shit what they are making. They get the cheapest cobs they can find. Slap them on a little heatsink, power it up with a shitty driver, attach an un needed fan to get rid of the excess heat caused by the uneffeciant cobs and little heatsink. Just to have it work for a grow or two before diodes or cobs start going out and you cant fix them because either 1) you dont have a clue about led lights. Or 2) you have to ship them far far away spending more cash to ship them so they can recieve the lights and hold them for a year before they get around to fixing them because they have soooooo many people sending in shitty broken lights for warranty so now youre out some cash and a light and you need to buy another light for the time being. Cough cough mars hydro… and they are one of the better companiesXD atleast they tell you they are ripping you off;)

We build our own cob lights to be more efficiant (600w photons, 400w heat.), have better spread, use less energy, learn how to fix and build lights, use good equipment instead of the cheapest you can find. Not to mention only needing like 600w of cobs to equal a 1000w hps setup.

The 1000w lights you are looking at wont even preform as good as a true 200w cfl or a good HO t5 setup. But will put out just as much if not more heat.

Lets face it. You want a good led? Youre gonna have to spend more then 100 bucks. Here i will show you some proper lights♡

http://timbergrowlights.com/
https://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=MAU5+KITS

http://www.pacificlightconcepts.com/product/cx-bar/

8 Likes

Throw up some links for diy cob chips n things needed for it (-:

So, quite possible better off with the blurple nurple? Keeping in mind, simply to root n 7 day veg.

Here is cree chips https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IVQ96WW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491928501&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=cree+cob

http://www.findchips.com/ use that site to find the best cobs at the cheapest price and the top bin (if you can find the top bin)

Heatsinks from
Heatsinkusa.com

Mouser.com has meanwell drivers along with many other electrical things you may need.

Wires, aluminum for frame, soldering gun, solder, and flux, and misc things from home depot or wherever is best for you.

Ebay and aliexpress has other misc things like dimming knobs, quick connects, outlets, etc.

You can also buy full kits from timber or cutter.

Also rolerado… how you get 400w light with 2 cobs that are only roughly 100 each?XD

5 Likes

While searching for an answer I see there’s a lot of dilemma with LED lights, because the manufacturer don’t give you real specs, just feed you BS for you to buy their product. Or because people are not really convinced about LED’s yet, even tho it’s been giving great results to some people, and the reviews on amazon for lights such as the Roleadro 400w COB and the Viperspectra 450w dimmable, are hard to ignore when there’s a couple of hundred people showing pics of their plants and testimonials about how good they are doing and the whole works… In the end will have to take a risk and see what works best for each of us. Asking for advice never hurts tho…

2 Likes

I do like my vipars, i can not lie…lololol

1 Like

They work. Yes. The people on amazon buying them arnt people that have beautiful gardens with lots of knowledge on leds. They get them. Plug them in. And go review them. “They work great!” What you dont see is the review of them using the light for a few months. Any company i told you about arnt trying to sell you their product. They want you to build your own instead of supporting this garbage. They tell you real specs. They will fix your lights no problem. With no 2 year wait like most china led warrantys. There is only old dilemma that you are just now digging up. People grew out of bread board leds a while ago. People are even past cobs now. Quantum boards are the newest technology. All these shitty leds do work. I have some. They worked great. Got great yeilds. Dense nugs. But now they sitting there with burnt put diodes not even worth using anymore. I just try to get people to not go through using garbage and get right to the good shit. I wouldnt give my buddys garbage weed. Also wouldnt tell them to buy garbage equipmentXD Ps aliexpress sells all these garbage lights for dirt cheap… also think about how much these guys pay their sweatshop workers to put together these lights.

5 Likes

Veros are good if you know how to grow with good effective fert/nutrients And Cuts, Than light is another 1/3 to all But without good light you can throw Cuts And ferts!!!
This was older gen6 3500k itself without any red…Havent got so good buds with blurple shits like Mars hydro. They work Just good average But i would spend a bit more money

2 Likes

Well if there’s anything i see out there, it’s the “California Lightworks” man! They are super expensive, and bring some T8’s attached on the sides, bad thing about it, it’s $900 for 400w

And lotus710, you are right, thanks for trying to save us money and headaches… HAHAHA

you are welcome. that light you showed. its better. still a big waste of money. for that price you can buy or build a SICK cob led. fuck ill build you a sick cob for that price XD lmfao

3 Likes

I i was to build it i would solder the aluminum plaques together and make it a one piece with like 12 leds. one for each ft2… u know!

You would need to with those lights to get any good coverageXD hahahahah

I have to say that I agree with @lotus710.

Being someone who purchased cheap blurple LEDs from Amazon, I can tell you they are not worth it. I used them once and get rid of them right away.

You should research “full spectrum”, “white light LED”, “COB”, and brands like Cree and Citizen. LEDs have come a very long way, but are still costly. However I strongly believe from personal experience that if you “Buy nice, not twice” they are absolutely a better value.

Here are some key points as to why I (and others) choose LED over HPS/MH:

• More efficient photon per watt/cost of electricity
  • Less maintenance/longer lifespan (warranty for many brands)
  • No heat to manage (more $ savings)
  • Flatter dimensions = more headspace for canopy
  • Many have dual spectrum (ideal for someone with one tent/space)

If you’re not going to purchase a DIY or prebuilt quality LED panel, go with traditional bulbs until you can afford it. After looking through many different options, the average cost for a “quality” LED Panel is about $2-$2.5 per watt/power (ie. 400W LED fixture = ~$800-$1,000). You should be aiming for 35-40 watts per square foot for LED.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks @CoastsideCanopy, that’s good advice. will definitely be doing more reserach and study a lot, it seems with the help of @lotus710 i got some knowledge around the LED and COB and Drivers and all, it can be overwhelming after a while more when you’re starting. For right now i’m buying a couple of LED panels and see how long they go for. If I get a couple of good harvests, then it will be time to construct my own LED COB Lamp… I was looking at videos in youtube, from a guy named Mau, and he’s got it all down, explains everything. Thanks @lotus710 again…

Thanks to all of you, I’m very happy in OG again!

2 Likes

I now stand corrected by @lotus710 and made a “wise” decision today, about the lights, there is nothing like COB lightning, i decided at the last minute (cos of my OCD) i wasn’t gonna buy Chinese anything, so my tent is French (pun intended) and the lights will be American-made…

Flower room 4x4x8 “300w 3x3 Frame CREE cxb3590” @ 3500k

Veggie room 4x2x4 “200w Citizen CLU048” @ 3500k

Gonna need to invest more, but like they say… “Buy nice, not twice…”

4 Likes

There we go brother. First one ive met here that asked about good leds and didnt go ahead and buy the shittiest lights they couldXD

2 Likes